Flappy Bird

Thizz

Came out last year May

exactly and did fuck all.

all of sudden get on the front page and woooooosh

will apple take that? theyve removed apps for less.

Mobile hit Flappy Bird makes $50K a day in ad revenue

This figure was announced by the game's developer Dong Nguyen in an interview with The Verge, where it was noted the game's been downloaded 50 million times.

For the uninitiated, Flappy Bird tasks players with guiding a fat fowl through gaps between Mario-esque pipes. Tap the screen to make ol' Flappy flap and make it through as many openings as you can. That's it.

The productions values are crude with assets that may or may not be stripped from Mario, and there's no music or alternate game modes. Yet, despite being out since last May, Flappy Bird has only recently become massively popular, currently resting atop the App Store and Google Play charts.

"The reason Flappy Bird is so popular is that it happens to be something different from mobile games today, and is a really good game to compete against each other," Nguyen said in an interview with The Verge.

Another reason for Flappy Bird's success is that it's entirely free without any microtransactions. Instead it's completely ad-based, without even the option to buy a premium version that disables the ads. When asked if this might be added later, Nguyen replied "Flappy Bird has reached a state where anything added to the game will ruin it somehow, so I'd like to leave it as is."

He then added "I will think about a sequel but I'm not sure about the timeline."

Now watch Eurogamer's mobile-focused sister site Modojo make Flappy Bird look easy with a ridiculous score of 69. Then try it yourself and wonder how anyone can achieve such greatness.

50K A DAY 

THAT'S 350K A WEEK

FACKKKK

In a bewildering series of events Flappy Bird developer Dong Nguyen has decided to remove his hugely popular app, despite it raking in $50K a day in ad revenue.

The legendary flappy bird is about to be extinct.
Why is he taking it down, you ask? It's a bit of a mystery, but it sounds like he didn't like the fame and the throngs of criticism that came with it.

"I am sorry 'Flappy Bird' users, 22 hours from now, I will take 'Flappy Bird' down. I cannot take this anymore," he tweeted.

"I can call 'Flappy Bird' is a success of mine. But it also ruins my simple life. So now I hate it," he wrote in another tweet.

Some hypothesise that the game is being removed due to legal issues as Flappy Bird's assets bear a strong resemblance to those of Mario's, but Nguyen is adamant that this isn't the case. "It is not anything related to legal issues. I just cannot keep it anymore," he said.

When asked by another Twitter user if the removal was due to non-legal criticism over the same issue, Nguyen replied, "Not because of them but because how people use my game. They are overusing it."

I've reached out to Nguyen for some clarification on why he plans to remove a game so many people love that he's also profiting off of, but have yet to hear back. I'll update if I get any more on this.

In the meantime, if you'd like to see what all the fuss is about I'd suggest downloading Flappy Bird while it's still out. It's free and terribly addictive, for better or worse.