Should footballer get a set wage?

Davicious X

It is a question that has been asked before, with the response usually being a resounding "No" as it is stated that it is harder to be a striker than a defender so the best strikers should be paid the best. 

My argument is that maybe footballers should be paid the same amount depending on the league they play in, but bonuses should be where things differ, like strikers should (And I know this happens already but not to the extent I believe it should) be paid extra solely if they score or assist more, while defenders would get bonuses based on clean sheets or tackles ext. 

Weigh in

This argument always comes up and its always argued from a point of view of a fan/media/journalist/player.

The fact is, under EU law; a salary cap (in any job) is illegal; so it means in order to even contemplate this, you would need every EU country and politician buying into this; and that just ain't gonna happen.

This is a free market and the market dictates the price.

Ship has sailed imo 

Even if they were able to bring this in people would find ways round it. 

I.E set wage + appearance bonus + Goals + Man of the match + etc. it would end up with the present high earners still being the high earners. All it'd mean is that the lower quality players being paid more than they are now.

Carrick and Catermole on the same wage.... smh 

I think the trend should be to generally make contracts 75% performance based depending on the teams expected ambitions. So for example a relegation battling team in the prem shoukd not have a large basic wage disparity from the championship team basics but then bonuses on top make the difference.

If that is employed across the board then that may work for big and small teams alike.

However the big salaries attract big names and big profit opportunities hence someone will make a big name, big salary league and attract all the big names.