Teacher Stabbed and killed By Student

Flojo

A 15-year-old student has been arrested after a female teacher was stabbed to death at a school in Leeds.

The incident happened at Corpus Christi Catholic College in Osmondthorpe, in the east of the city.

The teacher was named locally as Anne Maguire, 61, who taught Spanish and was head of year 11. She had been a teacher for 40 years.

West Yorkshire police said: "At 11.48am today police were contacted by the ambulance service who were attending a report of a member of staff having been stabbed at Corpus Christi Catholic college, in Neville Road, Leeds. The female member of staff was taken to hospital for treatment but was subsequently pronounced dead.

"A 15-year-old male pupil has been arrested in connection with the incident and is currently in custody."

Det Supt Simon Beldon said: "We would like to reassure people that this has been an isolated incident and there is no ongoing risk to pupils or staff at the school.

"The situation is under control and officers, including safer schools officers and members of the local neighbourhood policing team, are currently at the school and are liaising closely with staff. The rest of the school is continuing to operate as normal and we would ask that parents do not attend the site unless directly requested to do so by the school.

"Our inquiries are at a very early stage but the full circumstances of this incident will obviously be the subject of a full and thorough investigation."

Pupils said both students and teachers were in tears at the news. The teacher, who has not been officially named, had taught at the school for a long time. Student Georgina Kilroy, 16, said the woman had been a teacher for 40 years.

"I don't know anyone who didn't like her. She was spot on. You couldn't ask for a better teacher."

She said her teacher broke down when she told the children the news. Initially lessons continued as pupils were told that a teacher had gone to hospital.

Outside the school one tearful parent waited for her son, anxious to check he was ok. Lidia Franco said her son, Jorg, was in year 11 and was taught by the dead teacher.

"She was such a lovely woman, strict but in a good way," she said. "I just can't believe it. Oh my god, this is so crazy."

Franco said she worked at the school until last year, in the kitchens and as a cleaner. "No way are knives allowed in this school. Even in the cookery classes the children aren't allowed sharp knives," she said.

One pupil, speaking to journalists outside the school, said: "I was in the science lab doing some science work and I just heard everyone screaming and running about and then we just got told to stay there. And just told that a teacher had been attacked," he said.

"She was a lovely teacher. Never done anything wrong to anyone. In my opinion one of the best. She never hurt anyone or done anyone bad."

Other pupils paid tribute on Twitter, describing her as "a brilliant teacher", who was "amazing" and "a friend" to pupils.

There are nearly 1,000 pupils on the roll aged between 11 and 16, according to the school's website. It also has "a strong Christian and community ethos".

The website adds: "The school has a very good pastoral structure, which it is committed to keeping and teachers receive very good back-up support."

Tom Riordan, chief executive of Leeds city council, said: "We are aware of the serious incident at Corpus Christi Catholic college this morning and our thoughts are with all those concerned.

"We are working with the school to support pupils and staff at this very upsetting time. We wish to reassure people that this was an isolated incident and there is no ongoing risk to pupils or staff at the school. We are working closely with the police and helping with their investigation."

Downing Street described the stabbing as appalling. "The prime minister's thoughts are very much with the victim's relatives as well as the entire school community there, which I'm sure will be deeply shocked," David Cameron's official spokesman said.

Greg Mulholland, Liberal Democrat MP for Leeds North West, tweeted: "Appalling news about the incident at Corpus Christi college, my thoughts & prayers are with the family & friends & staff & students."

Hilary Benn, Labour MP for Leeds Central, described the incident as "profoundly saddening" but said he was not in favour of stringent security measures that would keep staff and pupils "behind high fences".

He told BBC News: "Most people are good and most people try and do the right thing.

"This is not representative of the college, of the community that surrounds it, the families that send their children to school and the city itself. But it is profoundly saddening."

He added: "Schools are places of learning. We want our schools to be open - we don't want to lock pupils and staff behind high fences."

Christine Blower, general secretary of the National Union of Teachers, said: "This is a truly awful thing to have happened to a teacher in the course of her work to educate the next generation.

"Appalling events like this are thankfully very rare indeed but the death of any teacher in her place of work, which should be a place of safety, is devastating. Our condolences go to the family and friends of this teacher, and to students and colleagues at the school.

"The NUT will provide any help and assistance we can possibly offer to Corpus Christi Catholic College and its community."

Russell Hobby, general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers, added: "We are shocked and saddened to hear the news that a teacher has been stabbed to death at Corpus Christi Catholic College in Leeds.

"Our thoughts are with her family, her colleagues and the students of the school.

"Teachers carry a great weight for our society and we owe them so much. It is terrible that they should be asked to pay this price too. We know that the close community of schools in Leeds will rally round to offer colleagues their support."

Absolute madness. RIP to the woman.

I beg the guy who did it isn't black, I'm sorry but it's a gut reaction.

You weren't the only one, no doubt based on his race he'll either be a Lead gang member influenced by Hip hop, a radicalised Islamic extremist or a bullied, missunderstood loner who cared for orphaned bunny rabbits on the weekends

up in north

guy isnt black most def white skin head

lol

You weren't the only one, no doubt based on his race he'll either be a Lead gang member influenced by Hip hop, a radicalised Islamic extremist or a bullied, missunderstood loner who cared for orphaned bunny rabbits on the weekends

DING DING DING

Good choice of picture tbh, looks harmless enough.

Remember the cropped Mark Duggan picture with the screwface, aggressive drug dealer?

When the full picture is revealed he's holding a ornament from his child's grave,

Is that a gaming t-shirt? I guess Microsoft and Sony can take the blame for this one,

please dont get in a discussion with imhim ffs

• Upvote 3

I know it's bad mind but who else was relieved?

tumblr_inline_mjh47yOgtX1qz4rgp.gif

/

Such  a sad story, my gut reaction is that this will have happened over something ridiculously trivial.

I know it's bad mind but who else was relieved?

tumblr_inline_mjh47yOgtX1qz4rgp.gif

/

Such  a sad story, my gut reaction is that this will have happened over something ridiculously trivial.

:lmao: @ the gif. 

But its really sad. As if teachers aint got enough pressure & bullshit to deal with on a daily basis. 

Heard a couple of callers on LBC mentioning video games. At least rap wouldn't be taking the rap for this. 

SOme people were suggesting metal detectors and security in schools.  Think its all knee jerk

Plus who will end up paying for it.  The local council will probably charge that on Us.

No thanks.  

• Upvote 2

Phil, surely You're not blind to the fact that when a black man commits a crime,he is representing an  entire race while committing the crime, in terms of perception?

whereas when a white man commits a crime, it's one individual, judged only on himself?