Godzilla (use spoiler tags)

Bankzy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, Godzilla....

Will start with the positives

It opened well, set the story up and got my expectations high.

The characters were well developed, and the plot got me rooting for, and interested in, the main characters. 

I also liked the monster's weapon in this film, how it was used, how it was explained, and the effectiveness. Was the best thing about the film. 

the EMP, made the army fully rethink their strategy, caused chaos when they forgot the monster had it when needed.

On the flipside

It was a children's film. Age appropriate for those aged 9-15. Any over and You will be underwhelmed. The news Spiderman reboot films are more violent .

3D was poorly used, didn't enhance the film in any way.

There was no violence, no threat, nothing extreme in any way. 

if You've realised half way through the film that bullets won't hurt a 300 foot monster, and plan to kill it with a nuclear warhead, why the fuck are there still guys firing machine guns at it for the entire duration?

the biggest reaction from me was when they cut away from a fight scene. I was thinking "I was watching that!"

Film did well to create tension

but with nothing happening afterward, it felt pointless

Good to see Richard T Jones again, haven't seen since Terminator. Disappointed his role is somewhat similar.

Hi all, I have added a link to my review of Godzilla for Nottingham magazine, LeftLion. It may not be long before you realise that I did not really like it...

sample

"Well. First of all, the film is slow going.

Nothing wrong with this fact, in itself; it takes its pacing cues from older classics, such as Jaws and Alien.

A patient lead up to revealing the monsters and the biggest action scenes are to be admired in this day and age. However, in this lead up, the plot and the character development have to be strong and entertaining. Just to be clear, in Godzilla, they were not."

Full review

Saw it at IMAX last week. first off the 3D in IMAX was cool.

The trailers trick you into thinking that Bryan Cranston was going to be in the film for a while but as soon as I saw he was an AND in the opening credits I knew he was going to die fairly quickly which was a shame as his 20 mins of screentime was some of the most interesting human emotion in the entire film.

I like Arron Taylor Johnson but he was bland as f*ck in this same with Lizzy Olsen their characters had no depth or interest at all she was just reduced to some chick running from the city getting destroyed. We needed more characters eyes to see this from something that the 1990 version nailed much better more cha

onto the monsters their introductions specially Godzilla's were awesome and the whole Hawaii sequence was cool. but the film dipped majorly after that. ATJ constantly escaping from various monsters. The 1990 version of Godzilla had better characters and a sense of humour.

After a while the monster fights blended into one another. I can see that Gareth Edwards wanted to avoid that hence the cutting away from the fights, but it still became tedious. Can't see myself watching this again. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...