Who are you supporting?

This subject comes up every International tournament.

i remember watching USA 94  and seeing Black (light skin/dark skin) Brasilians and being shocked/amazed so to speak. obvs no internet those days and my limited but growing geographical knowledge of the world, seeing man like Romario etc made me idolise them. them times, i only saw and knew of blacks from Caribbean West Africa in general. I had no knowledge of south america cos it wasnt relevant so seeing these dope players win world cup started the idolisation, and then made me start to look back thus finding outher man like Pele.

I was a book worm as a child love stats, facts etc, so even when i used to read Dutch players bio's, Kluivert, Seedorf, Rikaard etc and finding out they were born in some place called Suriname (south america) again just opened my eyes to the world.

I dunno if some white people dont get it, but for various reasons as a child you wanted to be players. Well alot of black children wanted to be black players you know it makes sense. Same way 7 year old Jonny wants to be like Rooney, and other players for various reasons skill, national identify, style of play, media influence to name but a few, one of the reasons i looked up to Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, etc etc ect is becasue they are black/look like us/resemble us.

That being said i support Jamaica, African nations, Certain footballing styles, certain players, etc and there isnt always a logical obvious and footballing reason why i may ''support' or want one team to win vs another or one team to win tournaments.

• Upvote 2

Guest Chelsea Jack

Dont think you man understand the true nature of supporting a national team, where you're emotionally involved and desperately want them to win. Its far more than football, its national pride. There is no Way a black geazer from london can feel that national pride for brazil. Although you may want em to win, you wont be emotionally involved like an english bloke will be for the three lions. You wont be reduced to anger, tears, or frustration. And you wont experience that euphoric buzz when england win and you are surrounded by your fellow countrymen all going nuts. COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!

• Upvote 1

born and raised here yet dont support the national team

shocking

truss

''aff teams only''

smh

Whats wrong with Africans supporting other Africans

:/

Born here, live here, raised here, favourite league is the Pl, work here, adopt a more english and westernised culture all year, then every 4 years come summer you are this new born African who disregards supporting England at all, 

Nothing wrong with Africans supporting other teams

I am talking about this whole ''lol @ england'' thing people do whether they be supporting the country their parents or grandparent are from or the newest hipster team

Just doesnt make sense to me

I am sure Welbeck cares about Ghana and will be supporting them too, but he also realises who gave him the chance to get where he is and where he lives etc and will put on an England shirt and give his best

Where is your family from?

Dont think you man understand the true nature of supporting a national team, where you're emotionally involved and desperately want them to win. Its far more than football, its national pride. There is no Way a black geazer from london can feel that national pride for brazil. Although you may want em to win, you wont be emotionally involved like an english bloke will be for the three lions. You wont be reduced to anger, tears, or frustration. And you wont experience that euphoric buzz when england win and you are surrounded by your fellow countrymen all going nuts. COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!

sad thing is bruv, you can bring it down to club level for the lads on here,

they aint involved, no posters on here are season ticket holders apart from me, they will never feel and experiance what i go through.

you can tell yourself your a fan of the team but your not, i went doncaster away tuesday night lost 2-0 2 own goals

so when we do well it truly affects me. none of you will feel it. thats why i cant listen to you sky sports wankers

and agony you stuck up manc c*nt, behave yourself and wind your neck in. utd are shit bruv i know citeh boys in stockport who would wrap you up

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Phil I spent 2 years of my life working in every stand in Loftus Road.

Not a single one of your fans put any fear into my heart so the base in your post is hilarious to me right now.

You're a good old chap and I'd just like to say that I'm sorry that you're mad. :)

theres nt much that feel it for england too

• Upvote 9

sad thing is bruv, you can bring it down to club level for the lads on here,

they aint involved, no posters on here are season ticket holders apart from me, they will never feel and experiance what i go through.

you can tell yourself your a fan of the team but your not, i went doncaster away tuesday night lost 2-0 2 own goals

so when we do well it truly affects me. none of you will feel it. thats why i cant listen to you sky sports wankers

and agony you stuck up manc c*nt, behave yourself and wind your neck in. utd are sh*t bruv i know citeh boys in stockport who would wrap you up

then why do you post on a forum filled with "sky sports wankers"? 

Haven't read any posts in the thread but I'm guessing it's a lot of people saying they're not going to support England for one reason or another. I reckon I'll be going against the grain saying that I fully support England and would go f*cking crazy if we won. Imagine the whole country partying and having a good time. Would be an amazing feeling.

This isn't about football, you're talking about national pride and a lot of people don't have that because for whatever reason they feel as if they're not fully accepted or part of the nation.

The same man that struggle to grasp this are often the same ones that vote BNP / back the EDL, how's that for irony.

I wish I left it and didn't go back and read the last page. I bet this thread is full of howlers like this.

Such a stupid thing to say; anyone who reads this and can't see through it's ignorance should be embarrassed.

This isn't about football, you're talking about national pride and a lot of people don't have that because for whatever reason they feel as if they're not fully accepted or part of the nation.

The same man that struggle to grasp this are often the same ones that vote BNP / back the EDL, how's that for irony.

I wish I left it and didn't go back and read the last page. I bet this thread is full of howlers like this.

Such a stupid thing to say; anyone who reads this and can't see through it's ignorance should be embarrassed.

This isn't ignorance, it's based on real life but  I'll elaborate for you.

What we're talking about here has very little to do with football, it's a societal issue that just happens to manifest itself when an event takes place that brings into question the notion of national pride. 

There are a lot of people of ethnic origin born here who don't feel as if they're an accepted part of this nation, that isn't even up for debate it's just a fact. From experience these people tend to feel that way as a result of the way they've been treat or received by people who claim to be the real English people, ie white english people.

The problem is this creates a vicious cycle because people who live here that express they don't have a sense of national pride are then held up as an example of multi cultural Britain not working by the very people who are at least partly responsible for making them feel that way in the first place, which then reinforces the feeling that they aren't really accepted here.

the problem I have with people like Phil is that rather than understand why people feel the way they do they just write it off as bollocks which does nothing but reinforce people's ill feelings.

What's ignorant, stupid, or embarrassing about that?

• Upvote 4

Phil I was gona type something like this except I worked at Wembley Stadium and Chelsea and for 4 years.

I was present at many England games and the environment and ignorance of many fans put me off live football games tbh.

The experience of travelling the country and supporting your team wouldn't be the same for you and somebody like me and when I think about it all that contributes to my lack of care for the wellbeing of the National team.

But thats the thing, Ive supported them all my life as my dad raised me to support them so there is emotional attachment.

The first world cup I fully remember was USA 94 & I was hooked from then!

I cried my eyes out as a yute after the final of France 98.

Plus c/s what flojo said 100% 

Phil I was gona type something like this except I worked at Wembley Stadium and Chelsea and for 4 years.

I was present at many England games and the environment and ignorance of many fans put me off live football games tbh.

The experience of travelling the country and supporting your team wouldn't be the same for you and somebody like me and when I think about it all that contributes to my lack of care for the wellbeing of the National team.

No offence lads but I haven't met a steward who ain't a c*nt.

Sure it ain't the case with you lads though.

Most of them are cunts, out of the hundreds I worked with there's only a few that had a bit of banter.

I just did it to get my sia badge and watch football for free(the company CES did United and England games too)

C/S the environment/ignorance at England games