Black children achieve biggest rise in test and exam results of any ethnic group, new figures show

Don Crack

So many variables to this argument, instead of celebrating a success where black children particularly black males have been failing way below standards for years it has turnt into this.

I hope the guardian breaks down the statistics some time this week.

tbf cp i agree with a lot of what you're saying even if i may find the way you're saying it and where it could potentially be coming from a bit puzzling/worrying

comments like this being a perfect illustration

Ironically, the first and only person I've employed was black, her name? Jamelia. 

like i hear you but do you hear you?

don't forget who you are cah end of the day jamelia, yinka, shits all the same even if it aint

peace god

• Upvote 2

Nope been to family functions never seen a white family members tried Google could not find definite answers just people assuming stuff saying it's from time from colonies and the spread of Christianity also mention elite people adopting the names and talk that there is a similar situation in Ghana and Kenya with British names.

Guest freestacks

yeah there are a minority of Nigerians that have bajan surnames.

Never heard of african changing their surnames though .

I know its common to have your african name for friends and fam and have a westernised name for work,school etc.(we all know how white people butcher peoples names)

nah those teachers were d*ckheads anyone can pronounce chavis

these lot are taking about those guys that would have a bait respectable English name they picked themselves that sounded nothing at all like their real name.

pmsl one of my best friends at school was actually called 'Thomas' weren't even allowed to call him Tom.

This really should not be celebrated because regardless how educated or how black kids succeed they still can be disenfranchised  . If hard work and academic excellence was a measure of success most black people would be at the top.  You can be the smartest but translating that to success in the workplace is like negotiation a room full of perilous vipers. Black youths should focus more on building an economic base and starting their own businesses. I know a lot of black graduates who despite excellent academics they have ended up wearing headsets in inbound and outbound call centres. You can be the smartest but once you go for that interview you will get the same rejection letters saying you are not the 'fit' the company is looking for . We need to celebrate starting our own businesses not having a degree and masters but ending up at some job for GCSE school leavers. The oyinbo's get salty at black excellence because most of their self esteem is based on their ideas that black people are inferior so despite these results most of these oyinbos will throw salt at you at work or job interviews. I see it at work all the time where you have to be twice as good to get half the recognition due to the unconscious bias towards us.  

• Upvote 2

This really should not be celebrated because regardless how educated or how black kids succeed they still can be disenfranchised  . If hard work and academic excellence was a measure of success most black people would be at the top.  You can be the smartest but translating that to success in the workplace is like negotiation a room full of perilous vipers. Black youths should focus more on building an economic base and starting their own businesses. I know a lot of black graduates who despite excellent academics they have ended up wearing headsets in inbound and outbound call centres. You can be the smartest but once you go for that interview you will get the same rejection letters saying you are not the 'fit' the company is looking for . We need to celebrate starting our own businesses not having a degree and masters but ending up at some job for GCSE school leavers. The oyinbo's get salty at black excellence because most of their self esteem is based on their ideas that black people are inferior so despite these results most of these oyinbos will throw salt at you at work or job interviews. I see it at work all the time where you have to be twice as good to get half the recognition due to the unconscious bias towards us. 

Agree with this.

I don't go as far as to say everyone should open their own business, but I do think becoming economically active in a wide range of professions (particularly in the private sector) is the way out of mass victimhood, which lots of black Af-Carib youths are huge perpetrators of (thanks to their over sensitive mothers and abandoning fathers mostly).

education can be the first step.

It should be the first step but not the only step. One of my favourite books on the topic of education is the book called 'Miseducation of the Negro' , I urge every black person to read this book. Even though its aimed at african americans it applies to any black person living within any system where they are seen as the enemy. to sum up what the book entails education is a system that does not teach you the basics instead it focuses on teaching you irrelevant things which give you worthless certificates to prop up your self esteem but not give you actual benefits. My degree is Law and for 3 years I was taught shit that did not even help me one bit in life if anything my survival today comes from my own skills I learnt by myself . To be educated makes you a good worker but the ultimate goal should be to own your own that way you can control and not suffer from glass ceilings which any black person or other ethnic will encounter regardless. The biggest country that creates millionaires in africa right now is Ethiopia and most of the millionaires there have very little to no education just good entrepreneurship skills. If education was a factor ask yourself how much the average east asian or chinese takeway fattening the english public makes in contrast with the average black graduate with a long list of qualifications

• Upvote 2

I don't spread hate

All I know though is this, when I was at school the kids that I shouldn't have followed down the road were Carrib

Boy who stabbed me when I was fourteen Carrib

Kids who laughed at me when ever I lifted my hand to answer question at school Carrib

Now I look at their lives and think wow.

So after all this when things begin to look better you guys want to claim a share of the success?

You've mostly made black people in the UK a laughing stock before the Africans even properly settled on these lands and now we're undoing the negative connotations you built and you want to take a claim on this positive turnaround.

It is foolish to say this applies to you all because there are also many successful full black people with English surnames which suggests to me they're Carrib but there are still some significant factors which you guys must address before suggesting we are on equal playing field.

And to whoever was talking about tribalism it is not a bad thing, western thinking told you that. Having a tribe = having an identifiable ethnic group, I don't want a label of generic 'black' because I'm more than that, if a Welshman who is British can be proud that he spells words all wyllfflkyltlyull then I can also be proud of my ethnic group and it's quirks.

We are not all the same accept it.

I've actually read this again and come to realise that earning the respect of "people on these shores" is something you aspire to as if it somehow validates your ability and success after "us guys" tarnished the perception of black people in this country.

You also spoke positively about Asians and drew parallels between your cultures which leads me to think that the way they've done things in this country should have been what "us guys" should have done, maybe then we'd be viewed as favourably as asian people are in this country? lol.

The people likely to give you the validation you seek are likely to do so because they are open minded and value what you can contribute, not because they make the distinction between African and Caribbean.

You stay there trying to get validation from people who are ignorant enough to dismiss your ability on the basis of your skin colour and tell me how that works out for you, for some people what you can contribute never has been and never will be the issue, they're just subscribing to the same tribalism you're championing.

Sorry no no no

You're trying to gain points by talking about white people, if I cared about the opinions of 'massa' I wouldn't champion my culture and values so much in front of them, lol I even wrote an e-mail to property week cos they confused the Ghana and Honduras flags on the cover of one of their World Cup editions, but I digress...

The fact that you feel you can draw such big inferences from my mindless drivel on a forum is ridiculous, half of what I wrote here was to wind up smaddy for example, it is easy in this kind of thread?

I don't care for the approval of white people as much as you want me to, I care about making a name for myself period. If I seek approval it comes from my family and friends first, then my black church after as we have a culture of putting wealthy black men on a pedestal. If I want professional approval it is because of the stripes of the individual I not their colour, if all the interesting people I met were black then you would have no issue. Unfortunately I'm in a white male dominated industry and the reason I'm here is because I wasn't afraid of being called 'uncle tom' etc to actually do what I'm interested in.

The irony is that I champion 'black' more than most on this forum, I champion black relationships, I embrace and am openly proud of my culture, I am active in the community and I do this whilst still getting along with white people.

So if I say carribs are failing I'm saying that cos it's the truth, not because I'm a 'tribalist'. I'm not going to sing the praises of someone doing something wrong just cos our skin is the same colour thats not being true to myself, yourself, 'ourself' and it wont help the cause.

TA RAHTIDDD

Firstly trying to dismiss what i'm saying by saying that what you post is just pointless drivel that no opinions should be drawn from is dead, I don't know you in real life so my whole perception of you is based on what you post on here likewise your whole perception of me is based on what i write on here.

I've been saying for a long time the internet is real, this notion that 'it's only the internet' is played out and doesn't wash. You've got over 20 thousand posts on here, of course I can deduce something from them.

I aren't trying to gain any points, I say what I think regardless of whether it's popular or not. And lets cut the shit, when you said that we've "made black people in the UK a laughing stock" you were quite clearly taking about being a laughing stock amongst white people. I have no doubt that what you said about seeking approval from family members, friends, and your church community is true but what you said makes it pretty clear that being respected amongst the people of these shores is something that you think is important.

You had a bad experience with some people when you were a teenager which is fair enough, but you seem to be holding a little bitterness about it. You sound like someone who was bullied or some shit on the basis of you being African and as a result you want to rub your success in peoples noses and make a distinction between you and the group of people they belong to ie Caribbean.

you say that you champion black culture etc but you didn't address what I said about Christianity which as a central belief system should shape your ideology and mentality towards life more so than anything. My knowledge of West African culture isn't very good but I'd imagine that before your people were given the gift of knowledge about white baby jesus, there was a religion common amongst your people. Why does your pro black mentality not extend to the area of your life most responsible for shaping your beliefs and mentality?

You saying Caribs are failing wasn't what I took exception to, what I take exception to is people like yourself trying to talk smack to me about not subscribing to your veiled shouts of black unity when I know full swell that when it comes down to it you'll draw a division between black people as you've proved in this thread with your Africans vs Caribbean bullshit. 

Like I said I'd much rather subscribe to a tribalism based on ideology and mindset.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

education can be the first step.

It should be the first step but not the only step. One of my favourite books on the topic of education is the book called 'Miseducation of the Negro' , I urge every black person to read this book. Even though its aimed at african americans it applies to any black person living within any system where they are seen as the enemy. to sum up what the book entails education is a system that does not teach you the basics instead it focuses on teaching you irrelevant things which give you worthless certificates to prop up your self esteem but not give you actual benefits. My degree is Law and for 3 years I was taught sh*t that did not even help me one bit in life if anything my survival today comes from my own skills I learnt by myself . To be educated makes you a good worker but the ultimate goal should be to own your own that way you can control and not suffer from glass ceilings which any black person or other ethnic will encounter regardless. The biggest country that creates millionaires in africa right now is Ethiopia and most of the millionaires there have very little to no education just good entrepreneurship skills. If education was a factor ask yourself how much the average east asian or chinese takeway fattening the english public makes in contrast with the average black graduate with a long list of qualifications

when i say education im not even talking about degrees and shit. basic, fundamental education, reading and writing. yeah the average asian takeaway may not have a bsc in economics but their fundamental education is excellent. 

there are black kids out there ages 16+ that can hardly count and read. how are you gonna start up your own enterprise when you cant even fill in the application form for a business loan or pitch yourself properly to investors?