REGGAE CLASSICS THREAD

NORA BATTY

Rankin Toyan!! Original mic man, nuff of the 80s hip-hop guys wish they had the kinda flows that Jamaican man were patterning.

"Cah tell yuh said a fi mi likkle fi mi, a nuh fi yuh!!" BIM!

This tune used to make me crease when I was a kid...

Big tune, couple versions out there. On the late Jack Ruby's (also Sean Kingston's grandfather) label, nice little lovers rock joint.

• Upvote 1

One of my favourite Peter Tosh tunes ever, nice one for the Christmas time vibe. Off the one album he did with The Rolling Stones, so his most commercially appealing joint. Still a tough album, tunes like Fools Die, Stepping Razor, Guide Me From My Friends, Oh Bumboclaat...nuff classics.

How yuh mean...

"An yuh a gwaan like yuh nice and...ti-ting-ting! Daddy Sweetie, Jah know yuh a sting!"

Slightly different tip, but a big tune nonetheless! Some rough with the smooth ting, large up Aswad and Sweetie Irie from time - UK ting.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Repost as link went down. Louie Culture - real ol' gangalee.

Original militant Rastaman sinting, Sizzla x Louie Culture..

"We a bwoy we have we tings, and yet still we flex cool/ Jah seh no mek nuh wicked tek yuh fi nuh footstool/" - Kalonji >>>> 

Big, big, big riddim track. Real Boglist business. Colin Fatta production.

• Like 1

Baby Wayne, one of the most innovative lyricists to ever bust from Portmore specifically and Jamaica generally. Vybz Kartel patterned off of him heavy. A mix of new style flows and social commentary, observations on the perils of badman life, storytelling, intelligent lyricism and stylistic innovation. Dizzee Rascal did this well also.

Powerman breaks it down a little in this:

Original Stone Love, Chiney Brush, Irish Moss and Mash wokkaman special.

"Bout dem haunted, kill man and get wanted/ Yuh tink me response fi dem?/ A nuh lawyer business"

Guys like Baby Wayne caught heat from the young shottas for this, but the commentary was needed. Consequences are reality. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1