Handcuffed After Kissing Husband...

imhim

US actress Daniele Watts has said she was "handcuffed and detained" by two Los Angeles police officers who apparently mistook her for a prostitute.

The Django Unchained star said she was approached by the officers after kissing her white husband, Brian James Lucas, in public.

According to accounts on the couple's Facebook pages, Ms Watts was talking on her mobile phone to her father when an officer approached.

Believing she had done nothing wrong, she said she walked away.

Two other officers from the Studio City Police Department then arrived and asked for ID.

When she refused they handcuffed her and put her in the back of their car while they checked who she was.

She was released shortly afterwards.

Ms Watts wrote: "Today I was handcuffed and detained by two police officers from the Studio City Police Department after refusing to agree that I had done something wrong by showing affection, fully clothed, in a public place.

"When the officer arrived, I was standing on the sidewalk by a tree. I was talking to my father on my cell phone. I knew that I had done nothing wrong, that I wasn’t harming anyone, so I walked away.

"A few minutes later, I was still talking to my dad when two different police officers accosted me and forced me into handcuffs."

Pictures of the incident taken by Watts' husband show the actress looking visibly upset as one of the police officers addresses her.

"As I was sitting in the back of the police car, I remembered the countless times my father came home frustrated or humiliated by the cops when he had done nothing wrong," she added in her Facebook post.

"I was sitting in that back of this cop car, filled with adrenaline, my wrist bleeding in pain, and it occurred to me, that even there, I STILL HAD POWER OVER MY OWN SPIRIT.

"Those cops could not stop me from expressing myself ... They could not force me to feel bad about myself. Yes, they had control over my physical body, but not my emotions. My feelings. My spirit was, and still is FREE."

She added: "I will continue to look any “authority figure” in the eye without fear. NO POLICE OFFICER OR GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ME. WE ARE EQUALS."

A spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department told Variety magazine there was no record of the incident as Ms Watts was not brought into the station for questioning.

10514749-817496334949933-435471624315675

10172576_817284444971122_505791761114680

She deserves a a valid reason & apology but why not just show them your I.D. and keep it moving? Made a mountain out of a mole hill.

:/

you are so jarring

please tell me at which point she had a chance to show i.d fella

"A few minutes later, I was still talking to my dad when two different police officers accosted me and forced me into handcuffs."

I don't know what the law is but I have to assume the police are allowed to ask her for ID and handcuff her for refusing ( If they are not then they should be dealt with). Wouldn't it be nice and easy for her to show her I.D. and laugh off the situation rather than refusing and having a breakdown whilst her loving husband catches her performance on camera rather than comforting her.

• Downvote 8

I'm alright with going along with the system. Can happily say I've only been stopped and questioned by police a couple of times and it wasn't an issue, didn't hurt me, no negative impacts on my life, didn't complain. There's a chance they might just prevent a crime they might just prevent a crime during their working day.

Why would I get my ID out without any justifiable reason to do so, just because a police officer asks me to? They are public servants, to serve us, they are not there rule over us unquestionably with an iron fist, this isn't North Korea..

If you are not required to by law then so be it. But if they are allowed by law to handcuff you for refusing then don't stand there crying about it because that would of been the choice you just made. I think it's just a case of those who like the police and see them as a service compared to those who just downright hate the police like the majority of this forum.

Why would I get my ID out without any justifiable reason to do so, just because a police officer asks me to? They are public servants, to serve us, they are not there rule over us unquestionably with an iron fist, this isn't North Korea..

If you are not required to by law then so be it. But if they are allowed by law to handcuff you for refusing then don't stand there crying about it because that would of been the choice you just made. I think it's just a case of those who like the police and see them as a service compared to those who just downright hate the police like the majority of this forum.

nah they need a reason to ask for ID anyone who's not a robot would have a problem with a fed approaching them and asking for id out of nowhere.if they doing it cause they felt like it then its obvious racial profiling furthermore why weren't the white guy asked for ID?

• Upvote 1

The LAPD don't seem too arsed about adhering to the law to be honest.

A film producer who was in Beverly Hills to attend a pre-Emmy party Friday night was handcuffed and detained for about six hours before authorities investigating a nearby bank robbery realized they had the wrong man.

Charles Belk stated on Facebook that he left a restaurant on Wilshire Boulevard and was walking alone to his car parked on La Cienega Boulevard at about 5:20 p.m. to check the parking meter when he was suddenly surrounded by police and told to sit on the curb.

charles-belk.jpg?

A picture posted with the statement on Facebook showed Belk, who is credited as a producer and actor on his IMDb page, in handcuffs as he sat on the sidewalk with two officers nearby.

“I get that the Beverly Hills Police Department didn’t know that I was a well educated American citizen that had received a B.S. in electrical engineering from the University of Southern California, an MBA from Indiana University … and an executive leadership certificate from Harvard Business School,” Belk’s statement read. “Hey, I was ‘tall,’ ‘bald,’ a ‘male’ and ‘black,’ so I fit the description.”

Belk’s Facebook comments, posted Saturday on his personal page, were shared nearly 30,000 times by Tuesday.

Police were investigating an armed bank robbery that had just occurred and arrested Belk because he “matched the physical characteristics of the second suspect and was in the area of the bank shortly after the robbery,” the Beverly Hills Police Department stated in a news release on Monday.

A witness then positively identified Belk as the second suspect, according to the news release.

“Within an hour, I was transported to the Beverly Hills Police Headquarters, photographed, fingerprinted and put under a $100,000 bail and accused of armed bank robbery and accessory to robbery of a Citibank,” Belk said in the statement.

Belk also said he was not allowed to make a phone call and was denied the opportunity to speak to his lawyer for a lengthy time.

Belk was in custody for about six hours while investigators reviewed evidence from the robbery, the Police Department stated.

During that time, other witnesses were interviewed and surveillance tape was analyzed. Finally, it was determined that Belk was not the second suspect, according to the news release.

“What I don’t get … is why, during the 45 minutes that they had me on the curb, handcuffed in the sun, before they locked me up and took away my civil rights, that they could not simply review the ATM and bank’s HD video footage to clearly see that the ‘tall, bald-headed, black male’ … did not fit MY description,” Belk’s statement read.

Belk’s arrest comes amid a string of controversial incidents between police and African-American men, including the fatal shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

Police in Beverly Hills said Belk’s detention was regrettable but was a necessary part of their investigation.

“The Beverly Hills Police Department regrets the inconvenience to Mr. Belk, but was under obligation to thoroughly verify that he was not the suspect before releasing him,” the police statement read.

Police did arrest one other person in Friday’s incident, identified as Brianna Kloutse, 47, who is suspected in 11 recent bank robberies in the Los Angeles area, according to police. The second robber — who Belk was mistaken for — remains at large, the Police Department stated.

http://ktla.com/2014/08/26/producer-in-beverly-hills-for-emmy-pre-party-mistaken-for-bank-robber-held-6-hours/