Arthur Abraham vs Paul Smith

hemanthjava

Watch Paul Smith vs Arthur Abraham Live online streaming PPV boxing on Sportsbun here. Paul Smith came face-to-face with his opponent Arthur Abraham on Wednesday ahead of their WBO super-middleweight title clash in Kiel on Saturday. The 31-year-old will get the biggest opportunity of his life on Saturday night, and he has spoken in the build-up this week about how the fight has come at the right time for him.

Paul Smith robbed in fight against Arthur Abraham in Germany as Eddie Hearn calls judges' verdicts 'a disgrace'The scores of 117-111, 117-111, 119-109 were ridiculous in a fight which was clearly much closer, writes Gareth A Davies

paul-smith_3054169b.jpg
Hammer time: Paul Smith lands crunching blows on Arthur Abraham Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Paul Smith put in a statement performance against veteran world champion Arthur Abraham in Kiel, Germany, and in a very close fight, outworked the Germany-based Armenian for long periods of the fight.

Nonetheless, there were farcical scores returned by the three judges in Abraham's favour.

Smith accused the judges of "robbing him of a lifetime opportunity".

The least the 34-year-old deserved was a draw.

There is a saying well-worn in British boxing: you have to knock your opponent out to get a draw in Germany. Smith fell victim to that maxim. He put in an incredible effort against the odds as a huge underdog, with Abraham looking tired and lethargic in the last half of the championship fight. Frankly, the scores of 117-111, 117-111, 119-109 were ridiculous in a fight which was clearly much closer.

It was performance way beyond domestic level by the British supermiddleweight champion, who edged ahead in the late rounds as Abraham grew tired, struggling from Smith's repeated attacks to the body. But nonetheless, Smith covered himself in glory, with legions of fellow Liverpudlians delighting in his effort.

I had Smith winning by a round, as he pulled the fight back from rounds seven to eleven. But a draw would have been more reflective of the fight's pattern.

Abraham moved to 41 wins, four defeats, in his 19th world title fight. Smith dropped to 35 wins, four losses.

Smith said immediately afterwards: "What can you do ? How could I have won one round? It's the one thing I hate about judges, they are robbing people of lifetime opportunities. It just shattered my world there.

"I believe I won the fight, but the judges didn't. His jab was good, I let him work to counter him. But he never did enough to get the rounds as the judges scored it."

Joe Gallagher, Smith's trainer, added: "He did himself and his family proud. How can a judge score that 119-109."

Promoter Eddie Hearn added: "It has not done him justice. How can you score that one round to Paul Smith. Disgusting. He won't get the credit for a wonderful performance."

It was certainly no cakewalk for the champion. Arguably two rounds down at the midway point, Smith had an impressive seventh round, landing hooks, having the last word in the exchanges and putting the champion under pressure. Smith had fought a smart fight, on the move constantly, never getting trapped on the ropes, and matching the Armemian punch for punch. For me, they were even after eight rounds, the champion seemingly taking a breather in that eighth period.

Going into the ninth, Abraham looked tired and Smith landed a great left hook which seemed to take a lot out of the home fighter. Smith's trainer Gallagher urged his man to continue to work the body. Going into the 10th round it was a close fight, Smith showing toughness and talent, as he took his opportunity with both hands.

Abraham roared out in the 11th, Smith came back, and it went to the wire in the final stanza.

Smith deserves another world title on this showing.

Anyone watch it?