Injury List

Lieutenant

20/11/2014 16:00, Report by Mark Froggatt

Boss provides injury update for Arsenal test

Louis van Gaal has delivered mixed news for Manchester United fans around the world by suggesting Angel Di Maria, David De Gea and Michael Carrick will be fit to face Arsenal on Saturday, while also hinting that Daley Blind could be side-lined with a serious knee injury sustained in the international break.

At the beginning of this week, the Reds had no fewer than 12 first-team players who were doubtful to face the Gunners at the Emirates Stadium. While speaking at the Aon Training Complex on Thursday afternoon, the manager provided an update on his depleted squad’s fitness.

“It's difficult to say if anyone is back because we have to wait for Friday's training session to decide if they're back,” van Gaal told reporters. “But they’re not coming back in the squad - that's a different thing. My philosophy is that you have to train at least one week with the squad, better two. But if you see our circumstances, we maybe have to bring players back to the squad.”

Expanding on his point, the boss said: “Di Maria has trained today normally so I don't think that is a question mark, but Shaw is. De Gea is good, no problem. I think I have to wait for the reaction in training with Carrick, but I also expect he's ready to play.

"Blind is not ready to play. He has now a brace on his knee, 10 days' rest, then we have to make another scan and we can say more about his injury. It's not so bad as the doctors are thinking after the match, but it shall be a long story, I believe, but not six months or something."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Nov/Van-Gaal-delivers-team-news-for-Arsenal-clash.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Louis van Gaal confirms new injuries and gives update on others returning

January 5, 2015

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has given some information on the clubs new injury crisis. At half-time against Yeovil Town in the FA Cup on Sunday afternoon we saw both Rafael da Silva and Luke Shaw replaced. United had to change the formation, eventually scoring their first goal through Ander Herrera, then finding a second through Angel Di Maria, who returned from injury. The manager confirmed after the that he was facing another injury crisis; just as the last one was coming to an end.

Rafael was withdrawn with a suspected fractures cheekbone, with Shaw being withdrawn after sustaining an ankle injury. Van Gaal had to bring on Jonny Evans and Juan Mata as his defensive options were few and far between, opting for Chris Smalling on the right of a back four, Tyler Blackett on the left, with Evans and Paddy McNair playing centrally. McNair himself was playing with a head injury after a clash with Yeovil Town’s Kieffer Moore, although he did play the full 90 minutes, but will obviously be a bit tender for a while. Speaking to the official Manchester United website, Van Gaal said:

“Rafa has a fracture, so it’s not looking good, and Shaw has an ankle problem. I had to change, and I don’t have more defenders, so I have to change the shape also.

“Rafael had a fresh injury so it was fantastic that he had the guts to play through. He has a fantastic mentality, it’s unbelievable. But I had to change him and Shaw because they aren’t 100 per cent fit.

“I put a midfielder extra in and, because of that, maybe we had more ball possession in the second half, and we had more patience.

“We have to change from five to four, we played four in midfield in the second half, then we played better and we more patient, we kept the ball better also and, because of that, we could score the winning goal.”

Despite both Rafael and Shaw being ruled out, for however long that may be, there was some good news on the injury front with both Daley Blind and Marcos Rojo returning to the squad, both could bolster the squad this month, which with the match against Southampton on the horizon, followed by a trip to London to face Queens Park Rangers before the fourth round of the FA Cup, which should be revealed later this evening. United may not be as strong as they could have been, but at least players on the sidelines will be starting to return. Van Gaal confirmed:

“We can be very happy because the players are coming back now. Angel Di Maria is coming back, Daley Blind is coming back, Marcos Rojo is coming back – so we have more left-footed players, and that we need also. I have to solve every week another problem, and now during a match.”

Currently United have Rafael da Silva (fractured cheekbone), Luke Shaw (ankle), Antonio Valencia (groin/pelvis), Ashley Young (hamstring), Tom Thorpe (ankle/foot) and Marouane Fellaini (fractured rib). Also Daley Blind (MCL knee ligament) and Marcos Rojo (thigh muscle strain) are on the list, but returning to fitness. Either could be utilised against Southampton on Sunday, with it known that Blind has been in training since before fitness, so he has had those two weeks Van Gaal likes to give players returning from injury. Of course, this is only based on my opinion, and we will find out more during the Managers Press Conference on Friday afternoon, which after another week of training could bear some more good news.

http://mufclatest.com/louis-van-gaal-confirms-new-injuries-and-gives-update-on-others-returning/

Man United boosted by return of players from injury

Posted by Sam Peoples

Date: January 09, 2015

Manchester United's injury problems have been a major problem this season for Louis van Gaal but ahead of the game against Southampton this weekend, United's squad is looking as healthy as it has all season.

Rafael was straight back into training after successfully undergoing an operation on a fractured cheekbone this week and he could potentially be in contention to play this weekend with a protective face mask on.

Luke Shaw also took part in training and looked to be in good shape despite being taken off against Yeovil with injury concerns about his ankle.

Seeing Daley Blind working his way back to fitness is also a major boost for the side because of how important he is.

Marcos Rojo, Marouane Fellaini and Antonio Valencia also took part in training which means only Ashley Young wasn't involved, which leaves United's squad in the best condition it has been in all season.