Does the london urban culture....

Guest eights

I'm sorry but what alternative do the kids of today have other than to latch onto to a US Culture that continues to go from strength to strength. We haven't evolved we've just aged and distorted.

Grime - Should have taken urban music in the UK to a point where it had a big enough market to HAVE to be acknowledged. Instead it was whos actually real and who's fake. Now we have the same guys still clashing each other, and recording "war dubs"

F*cking pitiful.

this.

I have no idea how people listening to the music coming out of the US these days can't hear the influence of the UK.

Kanye's favourite artist is James Blake who's obviously been influenced by grime and dubstep which originated from where?

Fancy by Iggy Azalea was number one on billboard, features an english vocalist on the chorus and is produced by the Invisible men who are from where?

Azealia Banks' defining qualities are clearly not American, where did she go to work on her debut release? Where was the label she's signed to founded and where is it still based? Did she not release a whole mixtape that was on grime beats?

Drake has worked with and is heavily influenced by Sampha, where is he from?

The Wkend said his whole fucking album was influenced by Portishead, as far as I know Trip Hop is a UK sound isn't it?

Listen to Majid Jordan's EP then come back and tell me you can't hear a UK sound on there, in fact listen to any of the artists on Drake's whole roster and slap yourself if you can't hear how heavily influenced by the UK they are.

Some man haven't got the foggiest what's at the core of half the shit they're listening to.

youre getting confused. 

were talking about london urban culture

these man 

portishead-artist-spotlight-trip-hop-edm

james_blake_1.jpg

have absolutely nothing to do with it

James Blake is from Enfield, made dubstep and was a frequent collaborator with grime artists, are you saying that because he wasn't wearing low batts and screaming free the man dem on youtube he can't be classified as an urban artist?

What a crock of shit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I have no idea how people listening to the music coming out of the US these days can't hear the influence of the UK.

Kanye's favourite artist is James Blake who's obviously been influenced by grime and dubstep which originated from where?

Fancy by Iggy Azalea was number one on billboard, features an english vocalist on the chorus and is produced by the Invisible men who are from where?

Azealia Banks' defining qualities are clearly not American, where did she go to work on her debut release? Where was the label she's signed to founded and where is it still based? Did she not release a whole mixtape that was on grime beats?

The Wkend said his whole f*cking album was influenced by Portishead, as far as I know Trip Hop is a UK sound isn't it?

Listen to Majid Jordan's EP then come back and tell me you can't hear a UK sound on there, in fact listen to any of the artists on Drake's whole roster and slap yourself if you can't hear how heavily influenced by the UK they are.

Some man haven't got the foggiest what's at the core of half the sh*t they're listening to.

Nobody gives a shit because the music sounds the same

youre getting confused. 

these man 

james_blake_1.jpg

James Blake is from Enfield, made dubstep and was a frequent collaborator with grime artists, are you saying that because he wasn't wearing low batts and screaming free the man dem on youtube he can't be classified as an urban artist?

What a crock of sh*t.

!

The Wkend said his whole f*cking album was influenced by Portishead, as far as I know Trip Hop is a UK sound isn't it?

Some man haven't got the foggiest what's at the core of half the sh*t they're listening to.

Nobody gives a sh*t because the music sounds the same

Untrue but more importantly, Irrelevant.

The question was about who influences who.

Guest eights

youre getting confused.

these man

james_blake_1.jpg

Can you honestly say these man are a representation of london urban culture though?

/

Hold tight skepta and boy better know their time is coming

youre getting confused. 

these man 

What a crock of sh*t.

tbf you aint even from london so maybe we have different definitions of what london urban culture is.

i dont consider him or any of those you talked about to be urban artists. they are standard uk artists.

those i do consider to be urban arent influencing shit outside of this country. 

• Upvote 1

He's chatting sh*t tho

Fashion wise in the western world you can only wear what's on the market and what the shops sell they sell world wide

Let us not forget 10 years ago you were all wearing akademiks etc... At the height of Grimes popularity were new era fitted caps and akademiks with Af1s

Fashion wise ain't sh*t changed

Music wise, swear someone posted something in the PIC thread not too long ahgondsayimg for the first time ever there's more Londoners in the us chart then any other city

/

Lionel is just a hipster that grew out of it and is now pissed at the new younger wave on some ahhh man I remember when I was the only white guy at a grime rave now its full of them this sh*t ain't cool no more flex

lmao at this terrible post

adds up to just about nothing doesn't it mate.

i was gonna get to this, but as you've pointed out, Akademiks AF1s etc., this was definitely a departure from the quitessential london look - at the time i thought why is everyone trying to look like the Stillmatic album cover?  but at least grime was in place and as a culture that was strong, undeniably.

/

and lol at how i critique hipsters in my first post and then you come in qualifying me as a one :lol:

ok pal

and for some reason i can't help thinking that

now pissed at the new younger wave on some ahhh man I remember when I was the only white guy at a grime rave now its full of them this sh*t ain't cool no more flex

... is you

youre getting confused. 

these man 

james_blake_1.jpg

What a crock of sh*t.

LOL @ saying enfield, like that makes him urban

The guy from WInchmore Hill, like the other guy said, you aint from london, so your views are bit off tbh

Yh Americans are influenced by our music

That's not our urban street culture.

:/

Music isn't part of culture?

Yh part of it

but what started this thread...drake quoting an Asher d bar?

no he said man dem.

What are you actually going on about?

You originally said that our music isn't related to our culture.

You're now saying that it is but it's not relevant because Drake was calling 'Asher D' (notice you didn't call him ashley walters) man dem?

Take an L and a seat simultaneously. 

youre getting confused. 

these man 

james_blake_1.jpg

What a crock of sh*t.

The guy from WInchmore Hill, like the other guy said, you aint from london, so your views are bit off tbh

I said his borough because that's where he's from but that isn't even the most pertinent point of the post.

Are you saying that as a dubstep producer with grime influences he isn't a reflection of Urban London? Bear in mind this whole thread is about influence.

wouldn't call James Blake dubstep but hey

and isn't the topic about London urban culture influencing the rest of the world, Blake is a Londoner, tbh London urban culture has influenced a lot of this country, but its not easy to see where its influenced the rest of the world

youre getting confused.

these man

james_blake_1.jpg

What a crock of sh*t.

exactly just cos someone is influenced by something doesn't make them part of it

It's that attitude that has ed Sheehan number 1 on that list.

youre getting confused. 

these man 

What a crock of sh*t.

tbf you aint even from london so maybe we have different definitions of what london urban culture is.

i dont consider him or any of those you talked about to be urban artists. they are standard uk artists.

those i do consider to be urban arent influencing sh*t outside of this country. 

Define it for me, my whole perception of London came from Channel U and Youtube  8-)

It's this type of mentality that was largely responsible for the demise of grime.

Rather than embracing the people from other places that were embracing grime, fools wanted to put a ring fence around it and shun those that had a different postcode.

10 years later these same fools are on twitter bellyaching about how grime should've blown.

youre getting confused.

these man

james_blake_1.jpg

What a crock of sh*t.

exactly just cos someone is influenced by something doesn't make them part of it

It's that attitude that has ed Sheehan number 1 on that list.

I'll just assume you're trolling, the topic is about whether Urban London culture influences other places ffs.