Does the london urban culture....

Guest eights

Yh Americans are influenced by our music

That's not our urban street culture.

:/

Music isn't part of culture?

Yh part of it

but what started this thread...drake quoting an Asher d bar?

no he said man dem.

What are you actually going on about?

You originally said that our music isn't related to our culture.

You're now saying that it is but it's not relevant because Drake was calling 'Asher D' (notice you didn't call him ashley walters) man dem?

Take an L and a seat simultaneously.

no I didn't

First what's this ours talk?

secondly I said he was influenced by put culture not music....I'm not saying music isn't part of it I'm saying it isn't all of it

but u knew that I already said it your just trying to put words in my mouth mug me off instead of coming with a counter argument

and the fuck does me calling him Asher d have to do with anything?

in fact it just shows that drake sees him as an actor before a music artist.

youre getting confused.

were talking about london urban culture

these man

portishead-artist-spotlight-trip-hop-edm

james_blake_1.jpg

have absolutely nothing to do with it

James Blake is from Enfield, made dubstep and was a frequent collaborator with grime artists, are you saying that because he wasn't wearing low batts and screaming free the man dem on youtube he can't be classified as an urban artist?

What a crock of sh*t.

LOL @ saying enfield, like that makes him urban

The guy from WInchmore Hill, like the other guy said, you aint from london, so your views are bit off tbh

exactly just cos someone is influenced by something doesn't make them part of it

It's that attitude that has ed Sheehan number 1 on that list.

I'll just assume you're trolling, the topic is about whether Urban London culture influences other places ffs.

:/ :/

That was in reference to u claiming James Blake is part of London urban culture

he's influenced by it not part of it.

Yeah and then you got man calling out Iggy Azailia talking about she been influenced.

Shes not influenced by UK in anyway shape or form, she just monetising something that UK people cant.

Understand the difference between being influenced by something, and just using something to monetise it.

youre getting confused.

were talking about london urban culture

these man

portishead-artist-spotlight-trip-hop-edm

james_blake_1.jpg

have absolutely nothing to do with it

James Blake is from Enfield, made dubstep and was a frequent collaborator with grime artists, are you saying that because he wasn't wearing low batts and screaming free the man dem on youtube he can't be classified as an urban artist?

What a crock of sh*t.

LOL @ saying enfield, like that makes him urban

The guy from WInchmore Hill, like the other guy said, you aint from london, so your views are bit off tbh

exactly just cos someone is influenced by something doesn't make them part of it

It's that attitude that has ed Sheehan number 1 on that list.

I'll just assume you're trolling, the topic is about whether Urban London culture influences other places ffs.

:/  :/

That was in reference to u claiming James Blake is part of London urban culture

he's influenced by it not part of it.

I said James Blake was influenced by grime and Dubstep and had gone on to influence others like Kanye. Somebody struggling with the definition of influence then says he has fuck all to do with the conversation as if influence has to be first hand.

Dubstep has established itself as a global scene in little over a decade so how are people honestly saying that London's culture has no global influence?

Talking pure nonsense.

If you think the scope of UK Urban culture is limited to what you see on Link Up Tv and the like then fair enough.

Edmonton's across the A10, where he went to school

JME+Skepta lived in Winchmore as well, or was that Palmers? pretty much the same area or bordered on anyway

Scorcher's from Bush Hill Park up the road

none of that means shit, Enfield's a shit area

I said James Blake was influenced by grime and Dubstep and had gone on to influence others like Kanye. Somebody struggling with the definition of influence then says he has f*ck all to do with the conversation as if influence has to be first hand.

Dubstep has established itself as a global scene in little over a decade so how are people honestly saying that London's culture has no global influence?

Talking pure nonsense.

If you think the scope of UK Urban culture is limited to what you see on Link Up Tv and the like then fair enough.

pmsl u being serious?

This isn't some Kevin bacon rule of 5

kanye isn't influenced by London because he's influenced by James Blake ffs

Dub step started in London yh?

What I was trying to say before is just because someone is influenced by music that is also influences a certain culture doesn't mean they are then influenced by that culture.

anyway now u wanna start saying uk urban culture like that's even what we're talking about...I see you.

you seem confused on what London urban culture actually is which isn't surprising as you aren't from London tbf

urban to me means black mainstream culture

which can apply to white people but ultimately it roots from black people

(yeah i've probably contradicted myself by using the term "roots" there - as you can say dubstep has roots in black music - but whatever)

I said James Blake was influenced by grime and Dubstep and had gone on to influence others like Kanye. Somebody struggling with the definition of influence then says he has f*ck all to do with the conversation as if influence has to be first hand.

Talking pure nonsense.

pmsl u being serious?

This isn't some Kevin bacon rule of 5

kanye isn't influenced by London because he's influenced by James Blake ffs

Dub step started in London yh?

What I was trying to say before is just because someone is influenced by music that is also influences a certain culture doesn't mean they are then influenced by that culture.

anyway now u wanna start saying uk urban culture like that's even what we're talking about...I see you.

you seem confused on what London urban culture actually is which isn't surprising as you aren't from London tbf

You can try and dismiss what I'm saying by mentioning I aren't from London but it just goes to show how much you're struggling to grasp the basic definition of influence.

I'm from West Yorkshire and the very reason I'm on this site is because I was interested in Grime music which is unquestionably a London sub culture.

I've been producing music for years in various genres but when it's all said and done the influence of grime will always be at the core of what I make. I've been to other countries and showed foreigners grime, by doing so I'm exposing them to a part of London's culture even though I'm not from there. That is what influence is.

When I listen to a producer like Cashmere Cat from Norway I don't understand how anyone can come up with some of the fraff in this topic

From time you're unaware that a genre as big as dubstep started in your own backyard and you're not sure whether it's urban, I have no idea why you're trying to tell me what urban actually is.

Just because in from London doesn't mean I need to be interested in every genre of music that's from there ffs

and I didn't say shit about what urban is

Was just saying that because someone is influenced by a person/genre of music doesn't automatically mean they are influenced by the area it started in.

It's not that deep really.

what ever happened to niche? that was your people's ting

although it did just sound like a rip off of grime crossed with happy hardcore.

But if it wasn't started exclusively by black people like Hiphop for example then you can't really call it urban in that sense tbh.

Before you start in not saying that's what urban means....I don't even really get what it means apart from inner city as its og definition in which case yes dub step is from an urban area and therefore urban.

• Downvote 1

Just because in from London doesn't mean I need to be interested in every genre of music that's from there ffs

and I didn't say sh*t about what urban is

Was just saying that because someone is influenced by a person/genre of music doesn't automatically mean they are influenced by the area it started in.

Mate lets not turn this into a us vs your people ting, if you want to go down that route and put claim to talent and creativity show me what you personally are dealing with and I'll respond accordingly.

It's funny how the people who are the least involved in a sub culture are the ones that stake claim to it most aggressively based on being from the same place where it came from.

You've already shown you know fuck all about the very culture you're trying to profess about, why are you still going on?

But if it wasn't started exclusively by black people like Hiphop for example then you can't really call it urban in that sense tbh.

Before you start in not saying that's what urban means....I don't even really get what it means apart from inner city as its og definition in which case yes dub step is from an urban area and therefore urban.

Hip hop wasn't started exclusively by black people though...

• Downvote 2

and I didn't say sh*t about what urban is

Mate lets not turn this into a us vs your people ting, if you want to go down that route and put claim to talent and creativity show me what you personally are dealing with and I'll respond accordingly.

It's funny how the people who are the least involved in a sub culture are the ones that stake claim to it most aggressively based on being from the same place where it came from.

You've already shown you know f*ck all about the very culture you're trying to profess about, why are you still going on?

nah not at all I'm just arguing with u about wether yanks are influenced by London culture that's all I haven't claimed anything I'm not a musician.

if anything you made it personal and your the one claiming a stake tbh

and yes Hiphop was started exclusively by black people...that's not even an argument.

• Upvote 1

sorry to break it to some of you but london urban culture is dead and has been for quite some time

london (in general) will always be ahead of the curve in terms of fashion and music etc, but urban culture was cut out of that a while back

if you for instance take the 90s and very early 00s as an example, and then set that era against the current 'urban culture', well, it says it all really doesn't it

The 'Hardcore Continuum' - Jungle, Drum n Bass, UK Garage, Grime

Underground Music Culture - Pirate Radio, Raves, Tapepacks, Carnival, Soundsystem Culture

Fashion - matching pattern Moschino outfits, Versace, Iceberg, D&G, (even Hackett & Burberry before the 'chavs' got hold of it), TNs, Tailwinds, Reebok Workouts, PLAIN GAP CAPS!!!! - no one ever rocked these brands the way we did in the 90s

Car Culture - when we all got our first cars people were upping the system, fitting new exhausts, gotta have these alloys etc

Ped Culture - even if it did encourge kids to tuck their tracky bs into their socks lol

Slang - of Carribean descent obviously but mixed up with Cockney and some even say Greek & Indian influence (but i don't know i've never studied it that hard)

now what you got?

Road Rap?

Deep House?

what else?

there is no culture

now if i see a kid wearing reebok workouts he's a f*ckin hipster with a supreme cap on to match

i blame young black londoners for selling out their culture

i blame Tinchy Stryder

i blame Chipmunk, and Wiley, and Dizzee, Roll Deep

i blame all those f*ckers for thinking it was ok to jump on some EURO f*cking TRASH just to make a couple quid

cos that was the first time i ever saw a young black londoners sell out their own culture like that

and what you got left after Oopsie Daisy and them sh*t tunes?

black people in london ain't cool no more

you ain't got white people trying to be you no more, talk like you, dress like you

how does a black 'sub culture' yute in london dress these days?

black beanie, one of the them shiny not so puffy puffas, some AF1s, a handbag and them jeans with too many pockets in em?

f*ck out of ere

on the other side, pull a headphone off one of them highstreet mohawks cunts on the train and he's probably bumpin Calvin Harris

i remember when black people used to be ahead of the curve when it came to this sh*t

but now hipsters took that sh*t

hipsters who write blogs, and if you read their blog on houston chop n screw or whatever their pouring their f*ckin hearts out over you'd probably be surprised to find out they're actually some bummy art student from oxfordshire livin in a bedsit in peckham, studying at goldsmiths

R.I.P. 'cool' in general imo

you had a 50 year run, but now we're just left with a bunch or cunts

amen

disclaimer: this post is f*ckin flabby but i think i just spat some real sh*t, pos me if you agree

required a repost.

Hip hop wasn't started exclusively by black people though...

Yes it was, Latinos had a part to play but a lot of them are black anyways.

• Upvote 1