Wayne Rooney

Mame Biram Diouf

Wayne Rooney is a potential target for Ligue 1 side AS Monaco after their vice-president strongly hinted they were interested in the Manchester United captain.

Although Vadim Vasilyev did not mention the 28-year-old by name, the Monaco vice-president, closest advisor to billionaire owner Dmitry Rybolovlev, admitted a move with a "top player" from the Premier League had been close.

"One year ago, we were discussing one of the top players of the Premier League, a top English player," Vasilyev said. "But it was on the table. This opportunity finally did not happen, but I think one day that it will come, that it will happen."

Last summer Monaco had been strongly linked with a move for Rooney with a huge tax-free offer on the table - Rooney ended speculation when he signed a five-and-a-half-year, £300,000-a-week deal to stay at Old Trafford in February.

Vasilyev hinted at the possibility of another spree.

"I wouldn’t really compare Monaco to any other club," he added. "Our ambition is eventually to win the title of French champions. This is true. I will not give you a time frame, but we would like to do it as soon as possible. We would like to be one of the clubs that plays regularly in the Champions League. I think we can play an important role on the European scene."

Surely the perfect end for both parties? (Manchester United and Wayne Rooney)

We get some money for him, club willing to pay his wages, he gets to look great in a shit league scoring FKs, Pens and chips vs Fc Lorient and co 

Obviously it is unlikely to be at the end of this season, but end of next season and moving forward from that it should become a real possibility

**prays**

hell get bullied in france 

hes at united for life mate... assistant manager then head coach 

and aguero has double the league titles 

rooneyvaguero_91941.jpg

Played more minutes

Less goals from open play

Hasn't had the same level of injury problems as Aguero

And speaking of minutes...

http://talksport.com/football/revealed-most-lethal-premier-league-goal-scorers-all-time-141007117545?p=9

Aguero has the best goals to minutes ratio ever in the prem and 3HUNNA doesn't even make the top 10. Just proves that if other strikers stuck around for 10 years in the prem he wouldn't be closing in on Shearer's record.

FACT: Since 2011 in the Premier League:

Sergio Aguero:

- 93 games

- 56 goals

- 23 assists

Wayne Rooney:

- 96 games

- 59 goals

- 32 assists

Thoughts and opinions?

You forgot to add that Rooney has played around 1000 more minutes than Aguero in that time

Didn't forget to do anything. As I didn't collate the stats.

Saw the figures and thought they were worth posting and talking about in a Wayne Rooney thread.

• 3 months later...

Saw this on redcafe...

Is Rooney our 'Stevie G' in disguise?

Now the majority of the Caf seem to be in agreement that deploying Rooney in midfield is one of numerous reasons behind our midfield being as dire as it is. That said, many also claim that Rooney is nevertheless the solution to our attacking woes too and that playing him up top as well as playing a good midfield behind him with proper midfielders will lead us to the promised land, or make us a side worth watching again.

The discussion I want to put forward is this... Fergie wanted rid of him. Fergie wanted to move on from the Rooney era and was actively seeking new strikers. He thought Rooney had peaked and had reached that stage where his ego was bigger than his actual performance output. He was the 'big man' in reputation only and not in terms of performances on the pitch. Did Fergie see him as a potential hindrance to the side's progression going forwards?

Rooney has worked his bollocks off this season, playing out of position but I still feel that if I am being brutally honest, even as a striker... he isn't Aguero/Costa in terms of performance level. He could still bang in a large number of goals, I do not doubt that but I feel that having him in the side affects the style of play of the entire side... he is such a dominant personality, he affects the fluidity we are looking to seek on the ball. He's a magnet for the ball but the problem is, the more he sees of it, the slower and the more predictable our play becomes. Contrast this with Aguero or Costa, they blend in seamlessly to any formation/type of game, whereas Rooney inevitably has to be catered to and he can have absolutely awful games where he just stinks up the place, yet he'll nab a goal and he disguises his poor performance.

The last world cup was the first time I lost a little love for Rooney as a player. I could see he was almost like an albatross around the teams neck, just like Lampard/Gerrard used to be. You had young lively technicians in Sturridge/Sterling/Danny and then as soon as the ball got to Rooney it slowed down, the tempo dropped. His sulky performance against Italy cost us the game and he manipulated the situation to ensure he played as a #10 in the next games and we never hit the heights of that first game, yet he managed to get a goal in the end... disguising the fact he was horrendous and the main reason behind the malfunctioning of our attack.

The reason I compare him to 'Stevie Me' is that I see a lot of potential in this Liverpool side, but the power Gerrard wields over selection by his mere existence at the club ensures that the team can't escape from his shackles. The team is trying to break free but he still features in the main games and he is their worst player time and time again. He is a hindrance. In fact one could argue, we are a team full of Gerrards... a lot of big names who demand to be selected based on reputation but are shadows of what they once were or are just tactical misfits.

Rooney is a more dangerous hindrance because he can still contribute in terms of goals and assists, he gives the impression that he is a vital component of any team. I would argue that like Gerrard, like Ruud of 2006 for example, moving Rooney up front might be an improvement on RVP/Falcao and he would score a fair few but in the long run, that decision will itself present a problem in the not too distance future. As all our competitors stockpile on livewire 9's who can dribble, shoot off either foot etc, we'll be stuck with the fading flame of Rooney.

Thoughts?

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/is-rooney-our-stevie-g-in-disguise.401396/

???

Some of the replies from the 3HUNNA stans in that thread reminds me why I haven't joined that place.

for everyone that has seen the light started by colin in 2008 

there is 100 on the dark side 

why moyes/woodward are fuck boys... had the chance to move rooney on with fergies backing and didnt

LVG Saying we will be looking for a creative midfielder in the summer. Said he's been forced to play Rooney there because "There is no one else".

This should be in the ander herrera topic

• Upvote 3

That report was weird. When i saw it i thought LVG was trying to say he needs balance to go with the creativity of Adnan and Di Maria. I.e a "dynamic player" to replace Rooney there

then the reporter asked him if he'd be prioritising a creative midfielder, he says yes.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/15/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-transfer-priority-creative-midfielder

rooney = gerrard

needs to fuck off to mls

liverpool will step up next season 

united need to sign an alpha male star man

none of these di marias, herreras, kagawas and matas

someone to bully up wayne like rvp did 2 years ago

rooney = gerrard

needs to f*ck off to mls

liverpool will step up next season 

united need to sign an alpha male star man

none of these di marias, herreras, kagawas and matas

someone to bully up wayne like rvp did 2 years ago

Apparently LVG rejected the one alpha male in world football that would have taken away 3HUNNA's power...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/louis-van-gaal-rejected-chance-5203862

• Downvote 1