Hodgson >>>>> Rodgers

Admin.

Just threw Sterling under the bus and said deal with it

All that after the Sturridge incident

Rodgers best keep his mouth shut before hodgson decides to recall Gerrard again and say something like Henderson isn't progressing how we would like because of off field distractions

Defo on lengman mode right now

should have but didnt due to rodgers tryna send for man over sturridge

i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong but surely roy can't do shit if rodgers stops sturridge, sterling & hendo from playing for england nah?

if anything it'll be rodgers who would possibily fall out with his players

eitherway roy is fuckery, still seems to be bitter at lfc

Just threw Sterling under the bus and said deal with it

All that after the Sturridge incident

Rodgers best keep his mouth shut before hodgson decides to recall Gerrard again and say something like Henderson isn't progressing how we would like because of off field distractions

Defo on lengman mode right now

that can't happen surely

honour & pride aside, u can't be telling me if u are called to play for england u have to

i refuse to believe that

Hodgson was happy to rest the teenager for the win at the A. Le Coq Arena, but he thinks the Reds boss should also consider giving the player a break so he can get back to his best.

When asked whether he, rather than Rodgers, should always be the one who rests Sterling to help him recover, Hodgson said: "I would hope not.

"I don't think that's fair. We do have to take players' workload into consideration, and there are going to be times in top league teams where players suffer from some sort of physical and mental fatigue, but I think it's a bit unfair if all the expectations to give the player a little bit of a break fall on my shoulders.

"He broke into the Liverpool team, had a fantastic season and then went to the World Cup. He is only a 19-year-old.

"It is not as simple as the training you are having may be taking a bit of juice from your legs.

"There is an awful lot going on in your head as well, so perhaps it is quite simply that the season has not started as well for Liverpool, he is in the spotlight for England and Liverpool... Maybe that has had some effect. I don't know. It's a theory."

It was Roy Hodgson’s introductory press conference as Liverpool manager.

He sat in the Anfield trophy room, flanked by the European Cups and memorabilia of the club’s greatest achievements, utterly convinced of his right to be there but well aware his immediate challenge was to reassure a sceptical fanbase.

Many did not want his predecessor, Rafa Benitez, to leave. Others thought his eventual successor, Kenny Dalglish, should have been sitting in his seat.

Hodgson had to get to work, to ensure he said the right things as much as did them, and this was a chance to make a positive first impression.

He must have gazed around the room that day and felt that weight of history. The reminders were everywhere, not least a montage of the club’s iconic managers staring statesmanlike at the spoils of victory.

A question was put to Hodgson, the equivalent to teeing up an easy volley into the top corner.

“Who would you say are your greatest influences as a coach, Roy?”

A matter of inches away was a portrait of Bill Shankly, alongside another of Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan. The ears of those Liverpool Gods must have been pricked as they awaited the response.

Hodgson paused.

“Don Howe,” he said.

Taking up the brace position is not customary during an interview, but never has so much resistance been required to do so.

This is the Hodgson many remember on Merseyside - a manager whose foot needed a restraining order from his mouth. Hodgson’s comments regarding Raheem Sterling’s ‘tiredness’ and Brendan Rodgers’ training methods feel rather too much like a trip down memory lane.

The defence then, as it is with his comments regarding Sterling’s ‘tiredness’ this week, is he is honest.

That’s true enough. Go back to that day in July, 2010. Evidently Liverpool’s legends had no impact on Hodgson’s footballing philosophy – or certainly were not foremost in his thoughts - so there was no reason to say they were. Equally, he may not have been aware that coaches such as Howe were perceived as the antithesis of the continental style pass and move game that enabled Paisley to win three European Cups.

Missing from Hodgson’s answer was not dishonesty, but tact, foresight, diplomacy and a huge dose of common sense. What might have prompted a chuckle if he’d proved a good Liverpool manager became more serious for him because this trend for misjudging his audience would pollute his brief reign at Anfield. The list of inappropriate, alienating remarks can be easily traced with the use of a well-known search engine.

Some would demonise Hodgson for this, but he seemed more like the embarrassing uncle who could not stop making daft remarks at family gatherings.

For such an experienced manager, there seemed to be a bumbling, naïve innocence to Hodgson as he rambled on for five more minutes than required and turned what would have been a reasonable answer into an incendiary one. It became tempting to turn up to his weekly briefings with a spade rather than a dictaphone. His answers were so accident-prone you needed the St John’s Ambulance crew on standby. Some wanted to rip his heart out every time he spoke and others thought it was nothing the removal of his vocal chords could not solve.

Given the circumstances in which he took the job, no Liverpool manager has required more PR advice, and yet he seemed totally incapable of absorbing it. Many in football may actually like this about Hodgson – he’s strikes you as far more old school than his namedropping of obscure philosophers and their nobel prize winning books would have you believe.

The flip side of this was the perception of a bloke whose response upon seeing an inferno raging all around him was to order a few more gallons of petrol.

“A genuinely nice bloke completely out of his depth,” was how one senior Anfield man put it on the day Hodgson left.

When Gerard Houllier, Benitez and Brendan Rodgers took over at Anfield they embraced the role of humbled custodian, sounding as if they’d spent weeks in the Anfield museum. They enthused and galvanised their audience by doffing their cap to the grandees and vowing to evolve a winning philosophy.

While cynics mocked the soundbites they had genuinely thrown themselves into every facet of Liverpool life. Supporters bought into the message and all three recovered from troubling starts to their rebuilding process because gave the impression they knew what they were doing and things would get better.

There are those who maintain Hodgson was dismissed after six months at Anfield solely on footballing grounds, but there was far more to it. Rodgers’ results at Anfield six months into his reign, for example, were little different to Hodgson’s and yet the mood was entirely different.

It was not ONLY Hodgson’s dire football that was his undoing – although clearly that sealed his fate - but a broader lack of wisdom and incapacity to understand that in the modern game looking and sounding the part becomes even more important when your competency as a coach is under scrutiny.

Anyone who has seen how Hodgson operates knows when the cameras are on his remarks can never be taken entirely at face value because he has a history of asking those who heard them to reassess what he said, reconsider them in a different context and then accept his genuine remorse if they’ve had an unintentionally negative impact.

“I apologise if I have offended anyone. It was not my intention,” is a recurring Hodgson follow-up. There never seems to be a sinister intent, but the effect still causes some to spit out his name on Merseyside rather than speak it.

You can imagine him flicking through the newspapers today fretting as to whether he really meant to deliver such a critical message, pondering whether another phone call is required to reassure Rodgers.

There should be no anger at Anfield regarding Hodgson’s comments today. There will be a touch of bewilderment that – without a trace of irony - he questioned the training methods at a club where some senior professionals were fatigued with the sheer tedium of his sessions.

Privately, it may also be asked if the FA are planning to pay 50 per cent of Sterling’s next contract since they evidently believe they are entitled to interfere in how the club that pays his wages manages their employee – a player whose rapid elevation as England’s most exciting player is in large part due to his current manager’s man-management.

Most of all, however, there should be a shrug of the shoulder and hope (probably forlorn) that Hodgson’s comments are seen for what they are - the latest in a multitude of examples of the current England manager’s struggles to keep his brain and vocal chords working in harmony.

pmsl

:rofl:

hands down signing of the season

Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, has angrily attacked claims that the club put pressure on Roy Hodgson to leave Raheem Sterling out of the England starting line-up for their European Championship qualifying game in Estonia on Sunday.

In an exclusive interview with The Independent, Rodgers insisted that Sterling never said he did not want to play for England and that the decision to drop him was entirely Hodgson’s.

Rodgers said: “I’m fed up reading about this club v country row, claims we intervened and put pressure on Roy Hodgson.

“I’ve read we sent dossiers to the FA [Football Association] on Raheem Sterling and Daniel Sturridge and I’m having showdown talks with Roy Hodgson on Sunday and all sorts of rubbish. The decision not to play him was a managerial decision. I haven’t said a single word but have to say I have never seen such rubbish written over the last few days.”

Sterling was on the bench for England’s 1-0 win over Estonia after Hodgson revealed the 19-year-old midfielder had admitted he was tired. But Rodgers said: “At no point did Raheem Sterling say he didn’t want to play for England. The boy is being hung out to dry and I dare say the criticism will continue for a few more weeks to come because of this.”

Rodgers revealed that since breaking into the Liverpool first team two years ago there have been a number of occasions when the teenager has expressed doubts about his readiness to play. One was the top-of-the-table game with Manchester City at Anfield in April, when Rodgers decided Sterling was fit to play and he was instrumental in a dramatic 3-2 win.

“Let me tell you, there have been at least five occasions in the past when Raheem has said he felt tired before games but he’s never refused to play,” Rodgers said.

“We have taken on board what he has said and taken a decision accordingly. I rested him against Aston Villa and we lost the game. But it was our decision to do so – and our decision alone.

“Last season he said he felt tired before the Manchester City game. We won 3-2 and he put in a man-of-the-match performance.

“The point I’m making is you have to take on board advice from your own people and make your own decision, right or wrong.”

Sterling’s apparent tiredness on Sunday was a major talking point after England’s victory in Estonia, with Hodgson wondering about Liverpool’s fitness regime and their two-day recovery programme.

“Raheem might say it is something that is becoming ingrained in him and that he felt the need to talk about being tired more than he would normally do,” the England manager said.