Book to Film adaptations

Em Dott

Couldn't find a topic about this so thought I would start one.

Got back in to reading a couple weeks back and realised how much I loved a good book.

There are some films that I know are based on books ie. Fight Club, Shutter Island and was curious about any books you lot could recommend that got made into films.  Always curious to see how well a film is adapted from a book.

Only one I really can speak on is Watchmen (which I recommend highly).

Can you lot send me some suggestions?

Prob around 80% of films out in the last 5 years

• Upvote 2

CS Ice about the rise in them in recent years.

still, I think certain people, especially teens, are encouraged to read more by their films nearly all being books (this year, Fault in our Stars, Divergent, Maze Runner, Gone Girl, The Giver, If I Stay, upcoming Hunger Games sequel)

a lot of true story are based on books written about said true stories as well (12 Years a Slave, Captain Phillips, Imitation Game) 

but yes, You asked for book recommendations, so

The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

Patriot Games, followed by Clear and Present Danger by Tom Clancy

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum (plus the sequels)

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (didn't like the film ator but loved the book)

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

About a Boy by Nick Hornby

CS Ice about the rise in them in recent years.

still, I think certain people, especially teens, are encouraged to read more by their films nearly all being books (this year, Fault in our Stars, Divergent, Maze Runner, Gone Girl, The Giver, If I Stay, upcoming Hunger Games sequel)

a lot of true story are based on books written about said true stories as well (12 Years a Slave, Captain Phillips, Imitation Game) 

but yes, You asked for book recommendations, so

The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

Patriot Games, followed by Clear and Present Danger by Tom Clancy

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum (plus the sequels)

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (didn't like the film ator but loved the book)

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

About a Boy by Nick Hornby

Have you read all of them?

/

Just finished reading the hobbit which is a good shout for an adaptation, imo its probably better to read the book before the film because more time the films tend to butcher the script just to make a quick buck

If you are into comics a good shout is The Infinity Gauntlet as they have just announced the new Avengers film which is based on that series

NOO THE HOBBIT IS HORRIBLE DON'T LISTEN TO FRANCOIS

Utterly sh*t adaptation with absolutely no substance and lots and lots and lots and lots of CGI

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is very good, both as a book (f*cking fantastic) and as a film

Fight Club

Lol ive only watched the first Hobbit and yes it was quite poor, easy watch though. Bad example I guess

Yeah the films generally fall short imo. Especially as the books are always interpreted via the imagination, so each book reading will be a personal affair.

most of the book ive read, which has been made into a movie have been shhiiitttttttttt and nothing compared to the book 

You will continue to find this, but if You watch the films first then read the book, You're more likely to enjoy both.

Never understood people reading a book then watching the film. Knowing what's gonna happen would fully ruin the film and make it pointless for me. 

Plus I don't like going into a film with too many expectations. 

Saying that, any how they butcher Assassin's Creed!!!

@ Badman, read them all, yes

• Downvote 1

Yeah the films generally fall short imo. Especially as the books are always interpreted via the imagination, so each book reading will be a personal affair.

most of the book ive read, which has been made into a movie have been shhiiitttttttttt and nothing compared to the book 

You will continue to find this, but if You watch the films first then read the book, You're more likely to enjoy both.

Never understood people reading a book then watching the film. Knowing what's gonna happen would fully ruin the film and make it pointless for me. 

Because you want to see something you enjoyed realised on the big screen.

imo read books then watch the adaptations

films can never really live up to the book i think

time constraints, catering to stupid audiences, costs etc mean films usually omit much n have to get 'creative'

which then dilutes or completely changes what was good about di book 

basing that on the few books that ive read then watched in di cinema 

ur right, i was going to mention this, but at the same time there has been a handful of movies which have been good and i noticed the good films have been like 3 hours long like watchmen for example.

u cant put whole book into a hour an half movie.

Works both ways tbh

If I read an okish movie and people rave about the book then I would rather read the book first especially if the film is based off the book. Then at least I am viewing the material as it was originally intended 

Not watching something that Holywood basterdised to make a quick buck or 2

• Upvote 1