Annual Leave

underwriter

It will depend on your contract. You may have it that if you don't take your leave, you are reimbursed for it financially. Some companies will have a 'use it or lose it' policy. Some will let you carry it over.

Some will have a mix of both, where you will be able to carry maybe 5 days over, but no more. The rest you lose.

Has ANYONE on this forum received holiday back in cash?

Yes

Manager has to agree that I wasn't able to take leave due to work load

Can do that or carry it over

And as a temp of course very often. Get holiday pay when you leave if you didn't take it while working

my line manager is telling me because i started in september and december is coming up i get a total of (rounded up) 7 days of holiday? he did it as:

20/12 = 1.6666667

then he times that by 4 which rounds up to 7

(the reason why im asking these questions is because i do not have a contract just yet and i do not want to impinge myself if the contract isnt for me)

moving on, im pretty sure once you pass 3 month probation, you get all the usual perks? 20/22/25 etc days holiday and all the other stuff the company has to offer? or am i terribly wrong?

my line manager is telling me because i started in september and december is coming up i get a total of (rounded up) 7 days of holiday? he did it as:

20/12 = 1.6666667

then he times that by 4 which rounds up to 7

(the reason why im asking these questions is because i do not have a contract just yet and i do not want to impinge myself if the contract isnt for me)

moving on, im pretty sure once you pass 3 month probation, you get all the usual perks? 20/22/25 etc days holiday and all the other stuff the company has to offer? or am i terribly wrong?

if their annual leave starts and finishes with the calendar year then obviously thats correct (assuming 20 days is your yearly allowance)

they cant give you 20 days off and you just started the other day

the length of probation differs and depends on where you work, yes you will get the usual stuff if not already

they might say you can only carry 5 days into the new year (you have to find out), in which case either take 2 days off now or lose them & dont get paid

when you leave the company, they will pay you a pro-rata fee for any holiday you havent yet taken

e.g if you leave at the end of june and havent taken any holiday they will pay you for 10 days

if you carried 5 over from this year they will pay you for 15