Police Shoot Dead 12-Year-Old Holding Fake Gun

Heero Yuy

A police officer is under investigation after shooting dead a 12-year-old boy who pulled a replica gun from the waistband of his trousers in a playground.

Tamir Rice passed away in the early hours of Sunday in Cleveland, Ohio, the day after he was shot while holding the airsoft gun - which resembles a semi-automatic handgun but fires pellets. 

A 911 call was made to Cleveland Police shortly before 3.30pm on Saturday by a caller who told dispatchers twice that the gun was "probably fake".

In the recording, he says: "There is a guy with a pistol ... It’s probably fake, but he’s pointing it at everybody."

Towards the end, he adds: "You know it's probably fake, but it's scaring the **** out of everyone."

Deputy chief of police Ed Tomba said one officer fired twice after the boy pulled the "fake weapon" - which did not have the orange safety indicator usually found on the muzzle of replicas.

Scene of where Tamir Rice died
The scene where the youngster was shot twice by police

He said: "The boy did not make any verbal threats but grabbed the replica handgun after being told to raise his hands, that’s when the officer fired."

The officer and his partner have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Play video

Video: Boy Shot By Police Had Fake Gun

Jeff Follmer, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association, said the officers were not told that the 911 caller suspected the gun might have been fake.

He said the officers were dispatched to the playground outside a city recreation centre and saw the pistol sitting on a table or bench.

He said they watched as the boy grabbed the weapon and put it in his waistband.

An attorney for the boy's family, Timothy Kucharski, said Tamir went to the park with friends, but he did not know the details of what led to the shooting.

"I don't want to make a rush to judgement," he said.

Daniel Michael Margolis, a local criminal lawyer, told Sky News: "Whether the gun was real or not is immaterial. The officers have to assume it’s real, especially because it looks real.

"They’re certainly not going to trust the observation of the 911 caller. There are also cases where orange safety indicators have been painted on real guns to make them look like replicas."

:(

These cops are just so trigger happy, waiting for the day they can finally let off.

not just the daemon cops, but the daemon c*nt who made the 911 call. if the boy was white they would go and ask him either to stop or not even bother making the call. 

watch the daemon media scrutinise the breh's instagram now posing infront of an NWA poster, and his school reports

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So much wrong in the story.

The fact the kid could have put his hands up and will be breathing now.

The fact the cop saw it necessary to shoot a 12 year old thinking they'd have a gun.

The fact that someone saw it necessary to call the cops on a kid with a fake gun explaining it was probably fake - was this relayed to the cops?

RIP to the kid.

Feel bad for the police officer to having to live with that.

• Upvote 1

lol@ the responsibility to be on parents as if there is some police talk 101 class every parent must have with their kids about feds.

what age? 4? 8? 10? 13? what topics should be covered?

yet a grown ass over 21 year old prick in a uniform who's  9 months+ ON THE JOB training must SPECIFICALLY cover a situation such as this in practice, time and again before being eligible to wear that badge, paid for by the tax payer is the one who should be able to think clearer in that situation.

if their training is by default shoot first and ask questions later, thats the country that is sick not the parents at fault. 

• Upvote 1

As a parent I don't think your child should be out in public without adult supervision when you haven't taken the time to discuss the correct way to behave in certain scenarios.

Sticking to some kind of moral high ground will not mean shit when you have to go and identify the body of your child in the morgue. The most imporant thing is for them to have the neccesary tools to think critically and ultimately, get home SAFE.

American cops especially don't play when it comes to a you or them situation. This is the problem of giving normal beat officers guns,they are mostly cowards. It's only natural, it's a survival instinct. But a lot of these people shouldn't be doing street policing. 

This was the BB gun the kid was brandishing apparently.  

cleveland-police-officer-shoots-12-year-

Which is why this whole situation is fucked. If this kid was pointing it at people he obviously knew and appreciated the reaction he would get from people.

Was he still acting like an ass when the cops arrived and thought they wouldn't fire at him?

Tbh that BB gun looks real enough especially at a distance that I wouldn't be taking that chance either.

This happened to me when I was a kid. We were having a little BB gun war and some neighbour called armed response :/

Was about 13/14 running around my garden shooting at my brother and our mates, then the next minute there's some white dude in my garden telling me to put the gun down.

Didn't take him seriously at all, the gravity of it just didn't hit me at first. He was basically some negotiator who had been sent in to scope out the situation, but there was a bundle of pigs with MP5s waiting outside, and feds came through the front to speak to my parents. That's how the situation could have been dealt with. The fed who came first wasn't armed or in uniform, he just had a loud voice. Whole ting was wrapped in 5 minutes, no warning, basic safety lesson from the police - they didn't even really check the guns.

My first BB gun was a Colt 1911 just like yout had, no orange safety bits. sh*t, I had AK47s, M4s, full metal PPKs, Brococks, nuff mad straps and no safety indicators. We used to run wild with them, but those were the pre-9/11 days of innocence.

sh*t changed.

Which is why this whole situation is fucked. If this kid was pointing it at people he obviously knew and appreciated the reaction he would get from people.

Was he still acting like an ass when the cops arrived and thought they wouldn't fire at him?

Tbh that BB gun looks real enough especially at a distance that I wouldn't be taking that chance either.

But did they even take into account what the 911 caller had specifically stated numerous times?

He's 12 years old, he has police aiming a real gun at him telling him to put his hands up or we'll shoot. Maybe he panicked and tried to remove the gun to show them it's not real. I mean at such a young age you can't always fathom the gravity of such situations and also what the wrong action may result in. 

The approach of dealing with a 12 year old seemed no different to dealing with an adult imo. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This happened to me when I was a kid. We were having a little BB gun war and some neighbour called armed response :/

Was about 13/14 running around my garden shooting at my brother and our mates, then the next minute there's some white dude in my garden telling me to put the gun down.

Didn't take him seriously at all, the gravity of it just didn't hit me at first. He was basically some negotiator who had been sent in to scope out the situation, but there was a bundle of pigs with MP5s waiting outside, and feds came through the front to speak to my parents. That's how the situation could have been dealt with. The fed who came first wasn't armed or in uniform, he just had a loud voice. Whole ting was wrapped in 5 minutes, no warning, basic safety lesson from the police - they didn't even really check the guns.

My first BB gun was a Colt 1911 just like yout had, no orange safety bits. sh*t, I had AK47s, M4s, full metal PPKs, Brococks, nuff mad straps and no safety indicators. We used to run wild with them, but those were the pre-9/11 days of innocence.

sh*t changed.

In what nation?

Which is why this whole situation is f*cked. If this kid was pointing it at people he obviously knew and appreciated the reaction he would get from people.

But did they even take into account what the 911 caller had specifically stated numerous times?

He's 12 years old, he has police aiming a real gun at him telling him to put his hands up or we'll shoot. Maybe he panicked and tried to remove the gun to show them it's not real. I mean at such a young age you can't always fathom the gravity of such situations and also what the wrong action may result in. 

The approach of dealing with a 12 year old seemed no different to dealing with an adult imo. 

Exactly, the caller set the context for what should have been a measured response.

What happened is a paranoid white guy turned up, saw a black kid (who he will probably say looked older), made up some bullshit about fearing for his safety/seeing a gun and licked shots.

Moretime I think these feds spend more time checking around to see if they are clear to get a kill in - i.e. no neighbours visible, no onlookers, and then make the shot. I don't believe all this fuckery about split second actions and fearing for your life, that's a cop out - no pun intended.

Guy turned up, see the kid and shot him in the time it took to concoct a plausible, easy to remember justification.

• Upvote 1