car crash/invalid insurance

Meticulous

so i had a little car crash last night where a motorbike went into the side of me, on paper its my fault but irl its debatable 

the prick wants to go through insurance and claim for everything, he wont take cash

now i have 6 points that happened since my last renewal, which i didnt declare to my insurance

i know they have the right to void my insurance if they want to but what does it mean for me?

if its my fault do they just pay the other guy's costs and not mine?

should i just fix my own car and let the insurances do their thing? or let insurance take my car if my man's going the insurance route anyway

should i even bother calling them?

google just gives me 3 possible answers but.... anybody been in this position before?

• Downvote 1

Based on the facts presented, it doesn't look good for you, purely down to reason 1 below.

These things stand out either way:

1) Non-declaration of points (I *think* this is actually a criminal offence, and may void your policy immediately - though it may depend on the offence/s committed that got you 6 points and when it happened, inter alia)

2) If a motorbike went into the side of you, it's not a cut and dry case (based on my own experience - what exactly happened?)

Is he stupid? Does he not know that being in an accident regardless of fault can look bad for his own insurance renewal?

Maybe he has a company car or some other type of lease with insurance cover and thinks it'd be better that way.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/46/46_non_disclosure_insurance.htm

"If a customer fails to disclose (or misrepresents) a material fact and this induces the insurer to accept the proposed risk, the legal remedy is to "avoid" the policy. This means the insurer is entitled to treat the policy as though it never existed. Unless fraud is involved, the insurer will normally return the premium and will not pay out on any claim made under the policy"

cos he wants to claim for everything possible, guy was talking about loss of earnings cos his job involves riding

i offered him a replacement bike (1.5k) and 2 weeks pay which he declined

just got off the phone to him, he just left hospital and he has a broken finger

hes tryna upgrade to an r1 after this

cos he wants to claim for everything possible, guy was talking about loss of earnings cos his job involves riding

i offered him a replacement bike (1.5k) and 2 weeks pay which he declined

just got off the phone to him, he just left hospital and he has a broken finger

hes tryna upgrade to an r1 after this

Them motorcyclists are fucked, they are willing to put their body on the line for a payday. I personally know one guy that does this smh

i was driving down the road and about to turn into a drive way on the right hand side, i indicate and stop

hes riding towards me quite fast and slows down to the point where it looks like hes giving me way

i turn in and then he hits my back left door. 

well the insurance are definitely involved and my points will definitely be found out about. so now what

i was driving down the road and about to turn into a drive way on the right hand side, i indicate and stop

hes riding towards me quite fast and slows down to the point where it looks like hes giving me way

i turn in and then he hits my back left door. 

well the insurance are definitely involved and my points will definitely be found out about. so now what

If this is exactly what happened, then I cannot see how you're clearly at fault. 

It's definitely up for dispute.

so what you saying ring my insurance and go on like its all his fault?

since its defo an insurance thing, does it benefit me in any way if i fix my car myself or shall i just make them grab it

Well, contacting the insurance is likely to mean the following:

1) Your non-disclousre of points could become an issue

2) Your premium will increase (whether you're at fault or not)

3) You will have to pay an excess

IIRC, finding fault takes a long time, especially if disputed. However, your car needs attention almost immediately. 

I would contact the guy and convince him as much as possible to pay. At the same time, I'd find out how much it costs to fix my car independently.Then I would wait a while until the insurance company contacted me. If they don't contact me for a month, then I'd get it fixed myself and never mention it.

It's not an easy situation without knowing what the other guy is going to do, in all honesty.

DISCLAIMER: answer is full of assumptions, not based on experience 

yeah go down your own insurance. you're supposed to phone them up straight away which won't look good but you're already there now, don't think anything can go worse by talking to your insurance, say you forgot about the points if they come back to you about them but don't bring them up yourself

don't admit to saying you'd pay for his bike, please tell us you didn't send any texts/emails?

if your insurance flakes out you need to get yourself a solicitor, or i guess you can wait for them to say how much you're gonna have to pay (but that's probably not wise)

There are a couple of things the insurer could do in regards to the non-declaration of points.

1) Void the insurance and you will have to pay everything off your own back.

2) You declare the points, and they will increase the premium (which includes the premium being backdated to the start of the policy). Plus you you will have to pay the increased excess (6 points is likely to incurr a compulsary excess which may not have been on the original policy).

so i had a little car crash last night where a motorbike went into the side of me, on paper its my fault but irl its debatable 

the prick wants to go through insurance and claim for everything, he wont take cash

now i have 6 points that happened since my last renewal, which i didnt declare to my insurance

i know they have the right to void my insurance if they want to but what does it mean for me?

if its my fault do they just pay the other guy's costs and not mine?

should i just fix my own car and let the insurances do their thing? or let insurance take my car if my man's going the insurance route anyway

should i even bother calling them?

google just gives me 3 possible answers but.... anybody been in this position before?

let it go through the insurances and the solicitors (if necessary)

provide your case and any eye witnesses

I was in a similar situation recently got in an accident and insurance company contacted the DVLA to find out what dirt I had on my license(they will do this even if no claim is made and they are notified of an accident), turns out I forgot to mention one conviction and they said i'd have to pay a £130 premium for not disclosing information to the insurance company, but it got refunded in the end because it was an error on their part.

Do you have third party or comprehensive insurance? Judging by the nature of the crash I think you could argue that it was his fault but if it is seen as your fault and you only have third party they will only repair his bike and not your car

By the sounds of it he probably wants to claim for injury/whiplash  which is why he won't accept your cash.