Smart Motorways/Stealth Speed Cameras Are Coming

Mame Biram Diouf

New 'stealth' speed cameras that have caught 700 drivers in two months to be rolled out on more motorways

New 'smart' speed cameras on the M25 have already caught 700 drivers in just two months – and they could be coming soon to a motorway near you.

The devices, which use digital technology for the first time, have been introduced on one section of London's orbital motorway between junctions five and six in Kent to catch motorists breaking the 70mph speed limit.

And the new gantry models, which are painted grey to make them harder to spot than the standard yellow, seem to be working – with 668 drivers receiving fines since they were introduced last year.

Of those, 148 penalties related to drivers exceeding 40 to 60mph variable speed limits, but the majority, 520, were for breaking the 70mph limit, The Times reported.

More of the devices, which have been dubbed 'stealth cameras' by some critics, were installed on a northern stretch of the M25 before Christmas, and are set to be rolled out to parts of the M1, M3, M6 and M60.

It means that thousands of motorists could be at risk of paying out at least £100 in fines and getting points on their licence if they stray over the limit.

It is part of a plan by the Highways Agency to expand 'smart' motorways and so ease the flow of traffic. Other steps include using the hard shoulder as an extra lane at peak periods.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/stealth-speed-cameras-on-motorways-to-be-rolled-out-after-catching-700-drivers-in-two-months-9979101.html

clocked the new ones on the M25 a month back. Just off the m11 towards watford. 

I was thinking to my self.' About bloody time they took those yellow speed cams away with the 50mph limit. Not knowing these daems had installed some new ones. Its so sly and all. Saw a couple cars ahead of me getting flashed. From then I knew these man have evolved.  You will spot it better at night time. They have a Red beam across the lens