56 YEAR OLD MAN WALKS 21 MILES

underwriter

Funds pour in for Detroit man walks 21 miles to, from work

20f438e0-aba4-11e4-8095-55d312fe5203_jam

DETROIT (AP) — Hundreds of people have contributed tens of thousands of dollars to help a Detroit man who says he typically walks 21 miles to get to and from work.

The Detroit Free Press reports that James Robertson rides buses part of the way to and from his factory job in suburban Rochester Hills, but because they don't cover the whole route, he ends up walking about 8 miles before his shift starts at 2 p.m. and 13 more when it's over at 10. Lately, he's been getting occasional rides from a banker who passed him walking every day and finally asked what he was doing.

After the newspaper wrote about the 56-year-old's situation over the weekend, multiple people started crowdfunding efforts to help him buy a car and pay for insurance. Some have offered to drive him for free and others have offered to buy or give him cars.

a4f50de0-abae-11e4-8c57-ab0fcfd97d8e_Scr

e242df10-abae-11e4-8c57-ab0fcfd97d8e_Scr

Robertson began making the daily trek to the factory where he molds parts after his car stopped working ten years ago and bus service was cut back. He's had perfect attendance for more than 12 years.

"I set our attendance standard by this man," said Todd Wilson, plant manager at Schain Mold & Engineering. "I say, if this man can get here, walking all those miles through snow and rain, well I'll tell you, I have people in Pontiac 10 minutes away and they say they can't get here — bull!"

Evan Leedy, a 19-year-old student at Wayne State University, read the story and started a GoFundMe site with the goal of raising $5,000. As of Monday evening, he had raised more than $90,000.

Robertson said he was flattered by the attention and amazed strangers would step in to help.

Asked about a federal program newly available through Detroit's bus system that might pick him up at home and drop him off at his job, Robertson said, "I'd rather they spent that money on a 24-hour bus system, not on some little bus for me. This city needs buses going 24/7. You can tell the City Council and mayor I said that."

I need to come up with some sort of sob story and set up a gofundme

These come and go news story charitys raise some crazy money.

One woman bullied on a bus full of kids made £100k+

One old man got beaten up and made the news, got £100k+

I guess people prefer that as they know where their money is going directly.

I think they did it for the same reason white charity to Blacks always happens: it makes them feel less racist and what not. But they are not trying to cultivate Black empowerment. Now that they have over $250,000 PAST their goal why aren't they talking about a BIGGER plan? This guy isn't the ONLY person in that situation. But this isn't about ENDING the problem. This is about them doing something ISOLATED for just ONE of us. See, that way we're not a THREAT. If something were done on a LARGER scale that would be a REAL problem. These white kids collected this money (from a lot of Black folks I'll wager) and now they'll take it to a white car dealer and the rest goes out in a similar fashion.