London Housing

dub

In the run up to the 2015 general election, a war is going on for the right to live in London. Rapid gentrification – praised as "regeneration" by local councils and property developers, derided as "social cleansing" by critics – is breaking up established communities. In some cases, families who've lived in London for generations are left homeless; in others, they are forced to move across the city or out of it completely. Meanwhile, the real estate opportunities are making lots of people – many of whom do not actually live in London – very rich.
  • Upvote 1

It's all immigrants fault

vote ukip

It's actually rich foreigners who buy property to rent out at extortionate rates or leave them sitting empty most of the year

It makes hard working Londoners impossible to own a property even if on 80,000 a year

• Upvote 2

London is overrated.

Cop two yards in Brum for the price you'd get get a flat in London. Not sure why people are so gassed (OK, I can think of reasons) - but Britain needs a bit of a shake up.

Not enough pull factors for me, nuff friends live there but as long as I'm along the M40 I'm nice to hit London in an hour. Don't let this new rail system gas you into thinking you're onto some certi investment. Those sort of investments belong the the generation before ours.

• Upvote 2

it is overrated, but its still ahead of the other cities enough for many people not to want to settle

truth be told, I haven't tried Manchester yet, but there's definitely enough about London to make me want to sacrifice the idea of living comfortable in Birmingham or Bristol

What major city iant this the case in thoigh?

Find me a young person who can afford a house in NYC, or Paris etc

But rent is not as bad. I don't know about Paris but my friends in NY in Brooklyn that's quite expensive nowadays rent for about £600/m and have much bigger properties. And.im talking about one beds not shared.

You can't also compare london and NY or Paris cos Paris itself is very small..its like zone 1and 2 of london... And America isn't just about New York there's plenty of viable social mobility. All of America isn't rushing to work and live in New York.

The uk may be small compared to France or US but there's plenty of viable land to build on..which isn't happening.

Look the poor shouldn't be given free housing in central London

If the apsirng middle classes can't afford it

Why should the feckless undeeclas be given free flats

Agreed. The problem is however, that if the poor don't live there, it's unlikely that the aspiring middle class will too. The properties will just be wholly commercial. I'd rather poor + rich than just rich tbh.

I do agree with the sentiment though - meritocratic based living arrangements.

/

I flipping hate the socket that presented this btw AND trust that faggot Dub to post a Vice doc.

What major city iant this the case in thoigh?

Find me a young person who can afford a house in NYC, or Paris etc

All of America isn't rushing to work and live in New York.

All of the uk isn't rushing to work and live in London either but more time people born in London are soo far up their own ass that they think that's the case

I've heard NYC is as bad as London for housing. San Francisco was looking as bad as London when I looked as well. Saying that, I don't think the rooms were as ridiculously small as what's offered in London for the same price.

Agreed. The problem is however, that if the poor don't live there, it's unlikely that the aspiring middle class will too. The properties will just be wholly commercial.

What do you mean by wholly commercial?

Agreed. The problem is however, that if the poor don't live there, it's unlikely that the aspiring middle class will too. The properties will just be wholly commercial.
What do you mean by wholly commercial?