Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FA23

Opposition Leaders Debate - BBC1 - 8PM

116 posts in this topic

Five of Westminster's opposition party leaders are making final preparations for a live TV election debate.

Labour leader Ed Miliband, UKIP's Nigel Farage, SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, Leanne Wood of Plaid Cymru and the Greens' Natalie Bennett will take part.

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg complained the debate would be "lopsided" without either of the government parties.

The PM said it was part of a deal to "unblock the logjam" over debates but Labour accused him of "ducking" them.

The BBC contest, hosted by David Dimbleby from central London, begins at 20:00 BST.

The BBC debate, which follows the launch of the parties' election manifestos, is the latest in the schedule of election programmes agreed after months of wrangling between the parties and the broadcasters.

Prime Minister David Cameron and Lib Dem Deputy Prime Minister Mr Clegg will not be taking part.

Mr Clegg said: "I find it very odd that the debate tonight doesn't have anybody from one of the parties that have actually been trying to govern our country."

_82365653_new_leaders_comp.jpg

He said he did not see why he had been "denied the opportunity" to speak because David Cameron had not wanted to and suggested there would be no-one to say "let's get real about some of the choices the country faces".

BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith said the stakes would be highest for Mr Miliband, who risks being "ganged up" on by the other leaders.

He predicted the dynamic between the Labour leader and Nicola Sturgeon will be the "most fascinating" element of the debate, given the "profound problem" Labour is facing in Scotland.

UKIP leader Nigel Farage said he would not be part of any "gang" at the debate as there was no political party he was further from than the Greens. He also said people had "underestimated" Mr Miliband.

He added: "What he has shown in this campaign is he is no fool and he is pretty tough, and if I am going to score points off him... I will have to be good to do it."

_76020974_line976.jpg

Debate details

• Mr Miliband will line up on the far left of the podium, with Mr Farage on the far right
  • Each of the leaders will be invited to make a short opening statement before five questions from the audience
  • They will be given a minute to answer before 10 minutes of free debate
  • At the end, each leader will deliver a short closing statement

Ed shoulda jumped out after they announced Clegg couldn't participate, now he's going to be the only one on the panel who has to answer for something. 

I see Sturgeon coming off best here.

I reckon they will be all gunning for Nigel seeing as they have actually got a manifesto now.

I back Labours call to make it law for them to do these debates. Fucking Cameron backing out of stuff. Guy is meant to work for the public.

I back Labours call to make it law for them to do these debates. f*cking Cameron backing out of stuff. Guy is meant to work for the public.

Yh. Its a disgrace. I think party leaders should

have these debates much more regularly. 2-3 times a year at least.

yeah PMQs is a bit of a joke, there should be something more formal and open to the public

Is this even on yet? I'm trying to watch BBC Live on the net and Eastenders is still on.

The way Millibland spins to the camera 

Blandest weakest guy on the panel

LMAO Ed making things up again.

When the Welsh woman speaks it sounds to me like she is just speaking constant paragraphs she has been rehearsing all week. Doesn't sound like she is talking off the cuff.

Ed never answers the questions

They are right no difference between ed and dave

Miliband has spoke about chasing the corporate tax dodgers a few times so dunno what that Green woman is talking about.

These women are totally irrelevant. Should just be Nigel v ed.

lol Is this a Left Wing audience or are people genuinely scared to tap their 2 hands together when Nigel says something positive. Guy talks about using Government properties being wasted and empty for housing and everyone sits their silent. Welsh woman dribbles and everyone claps.

lol Is this a Left Wing audience or are people genuinely scared to tap their 2 hands together when Nigel says something positive. Guy talks about using Government properties being wasted and empty for housing and everyone sits their silent. Welsh woman dribbles and everyone claps.

Very dodgy

This is the BBC though so they probably selected the audience wisely to make sure the crowd do little or no clapping for Farage

Pmsl Farage just exposed them, told them about the BBC leftie selected audience

This is why I admire this guy

If you ever you wanted proof the audience was left wing the response to Farage calling it left wing told a story

Glad she asked that about Trident and Defense spending.

When Nigel doesn't go on a immigrant attack he does speak some sense.

The Green Party are so shit!

When Nigel doesn't go on a immigrant attack he does speak some sense.

Immigration is an issue though. I don't know how these other leaders can act like 300,000 people a year coming into the country isn't an issue for housing.