Jack Grealish Thread

Lieutenant

New George Best apparently

Wonder of hes gonna choose england or ireland

He's Irish though?

Hes English, plays for ireland youth through one of his Grandparents.

• 3 weeks later...

Jack Grealish is expected to be called up to the Republic of Ireland squad for the friendly against England next month as Martin O’Neill considers making the first move in the campaign to get the Aston Villa player to decide on his international future. 

Grealish has been courted by O’Neill and his assistant manager, Roy Keane, for months and they are hopeful the teenager will choose to play for Ireland rather than ­England as he has played all of his age‑group football for them. 

The timing of the call-up is significant as Grealish would then make his first senior appearance for Ireland against England, who are also keen for the talented attacking midfielder to declare for them. 

Grealish, 19, rejected an invitation to train with the senior Ireland squad this season, but this would be a far more significant offer as he will also be promised game time at the end of a week’s training camp. It would also be a clever move by O’Neill as it would put the ball in Grealish’s court and help avoid constant questions about the teenager in the Irish media. If the call-up is rejected, it will have to be done in public and O’Neill will justifiably argue that he could not have done any more to persuade the player to choose Ireland. 

Although he was born in Birmingham, Grealish qualifies to play for Ireland as his father is from Dublin. Grealish, who has shone for Villa under the new manager Tim Sherwood, said in March he was looking forward “to pulling on the green jersey again” after taking a sabbatical from international football to concentrate on his club career. 

However, O’Neill has still not been given a clear answer on whether he intends to play for Ireland or England, and there are fears he was just saying what people wanted to hear as he had just been named Ireland’s young player of the year. 

Gareth Southgate, the England Under-21 manager, has spoken to Grealish but The Telegraph understands the player is not likely to receive a senior call-up from Roy Hodgson this summer. 

Although the match in Dublin next month is a friendly and would mean Grealish could still decide to play for England at a later date, it would be controversial for him to play for Ireland against them and then change his mind. But O’Neill is expected to tell the player and his advisers he will not be forced to play in the European Championship qualifier against Scotland the following weekend if he still wants to keep his options open. 

Players cannot switch national allegiances if they have played in a competitive fixture.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/11598670/Martin-ONeill-tries-to-force-Jack-Grealishs-hand-with-Republic-of-Ireland-call-up.html

MARTIN O’Neill’s plans to select Jack Grealish were dealt a bitter blow today when the youngster declined to be part of the intended Ireland squad.

There was huge confusion after a senior FAI source today “confirmed” to Independent.ie that the 19-year-old would be selected and Martin O'Neill has confirmed he was in his intended squad.

However, as the press conference was due to kick off at midday, something appeared to have occurred with rumour and speculation that O’Neill had been in contact with Grealish.

What happened during that contact is unclear but it appears that one of the sides had a major change of heart.

"I spoke to both Jack and his father and Jack didn't want to make up his mind at this stage," said O'Neill.

O'Neill did confirm that Grealish was in his intended squad. The Irish manager admitted he is disappointed by the Aston Villa youngster's decision but still thinks "there is a good possibility".

"I spoke to his father and said that I wanted to pick him. I'm sure that he could in the future (choose Ireland).

"He didn't want to make a decision now. I would have liked to have had him training with us for the week ahead of England game, that's a disappointing aspect.

On Roy Keane's comments about his father: "No I don't think that had an affect. It was taken in a jocular fashion."

Asked whether his decision to contact Jack Grealish had now put the ball in the teenage's court, he said: "I don't think it was an attempt to preempt anything. I still think that bringing him into the squad for a week's training to see that the FAI will look after him would have been good.

"He has played well enough at Aston Villa to suggest he can become a senior international player."

Asked whether the delay to his press conference was due to the fact that he was in conversation with Jack Grealish's father, he responded: "Not necessarily."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/jack-grealish-left-out-of-ireland-squad-for-england-and-scotland-1.2209301#.VVHvhqCMgYs.twitter