''Do Real's 'Galacticos' work?''

Mame Biram Diouf

Guillem Balague

The Spanish press and football commentators are questioning Real Madrid's philosophy of signing 'Galacticos' in the wake of their Champions League exit, according to Guillem Balague.

Newspaper Marca branded Real's 3-2 semi-final defeat to Juventus as the 'fiasco of the century' on Thursday, as criticism was dealt evenly throughout the team and the club.

Sky Sports' Spanish football journalist Balague said: "There hasn't been much focus on one person; the talk has been about the business model of signing Galacticos - does it work?

"In the last seven years, Real have won one league title and one Champions League. The conclusion for many commentators is no, it doesn't work.

"They have an imbalanced squad, with not enough midfielders and some playing out of position like Toni Kroos. If Luka Modric is not playing, then they don't play well, so how is this possible? And what happened to Cristiano Ronaldo? He was not influential against Juventus.

"There is not one scapegoat but a lot of accusations are being thrown at the president Florentino Perez and Ancelotti, who is worried that, with all these big stars, how did they fail to make the final and are chasing Barcelona for the title?

"Ancelotti has used Karim Benzema, Gareth Bale and Cristiano for most of the season and it worked until December. But the issue for him has been the managing of a tiring team, mentally and physically.

"They don't do the dirty side of the game and don't work hard enough to get the ball back. He has used the same 13 or 14 players so when it gets to this point in the season, they don't have enough petrol in them."

Ronaldo converted a first-half penalty at the Bernabeu to draw the tie level at 2-2 on aggregate but Juve, the Italian champions, hit on the break through former Real star Alvaro Morata to draw 1-1 on the night and reach the final against Barcelona in Berlin.

Balague added: "The defeat was a problem of the midfield and the forwards; two games, two goals, one penalty, conceding three goals, two of them from former player Morata.

"It could have been any other player but it had to be him in terms of the former player curse that Real have suffered through the years."

Congratulations to Cristiano Ronaldo for equalling Alfredo Di Stefano's tally of 307 Real Madrid goals with his penalty against Juventus on Wednesday night. 

Ronaldo joined in the summer of 2009 meaning it has taken him under six years to hit that number whereas it took Di Stefano nearly twice that. Ronaldo is now alongside Di Stefano as Real's all-time second-highest goalscorer and is on course to obliterate Raul's record of 323 early next season. He has scored goals roughly at double the rate Raul did during his time at the Bernabeu.

Ronaldo, though, will leave Madrid with a trophy cabinet put entirely to shame by the man with whom he drew level this week. Alfredo Di Stefano defined that first Galactico era of Real Madrid's history and was part of teams which won eight la Liga titles and five European Cups. Ronaldo can only dream of such numbers. And do not think for a second that Real were a one-man team in those days. For James Rodriguez, read Ferenc Puskas. For Gareth Bale, Francisco Gento. 

So what is the difference between the two?

A former Real Madrid team-mate of the late Di Stefano, Jose Emilio Santamaria, told Goal this week that while he regarded Ronaldo as an outstanding goalscorer, Di Stefano was easily the more complete player of the two. 

"You ask me were there nicer or more exquisite players? There have been many," he said. "But, by performances and efficacy, there hasn't been anyone more complete than him."

That is the frustration with Cristiano Ronaldo. It seems Real Madrid are still geared up to play only for him. The money spent on James and Bale, and everyone else for that matter, is all to facilitate goals for Ronaldo; goals which hopefully will be enough to win matches and earn trophies for everyone. That has not been the case. 

There has been one league title in Ronaldo's time at Real. There has been one Champions League. In a six-year spell for a player of his calibre at a club like Real, that is a pitiful return. Yet he is about to be crowned all-time top goalscorer and has won the last two Ballons d'Or. There is something amiss. 

Ronaldo needs his team-mates to act as functionaries. They are there to give him goals. That is Plan A for Ronaldo and Plan A for whoever happens to be giving instructions in the dugout. When he is not on form, and he has not been consistent since January, then Madrid suffer badly. He has not demonstrated his ability lately to go by his full back and hit a shot at goal. He did not take a shot in the second half against Juventus and was marginalised on his station on the left wing. 

The Champions League semi-finals, then, ran largely to form. Cristiano Ronaldo knocks in a penalty for a landmark goal but Real Madrid fail collectively. Maybe someday someone will work out if the two are related.

In the meantime, he continues his march to become the greatest individual Real Madrid has ever seen but he will never be part of its greatest team.

lol Bars throughout

Just saying what every already knows which is that Ronaldo plays for himself.

Didn't even clock the records his broke in comparison to the trophy haul during his time there.

Next season

In an ideal world Ancelotti stays if not try and get permission to speak to Unai Emery if Sevilla play hard ball then its time for Rafa to come home.

Just do not want Klopp at all.

New Keeper(De Gea,Courtois)

Danilo-Ramos-Varane-New LB(Alaba)

Casemiro Kroos

Modric

RW(Felipe Anderson,Muller,Pogba)Benzema-Cristiano Ronaldo

Keep

Navas

Carvajal

Coentrao

Pepe

Isco

Jese

Odegaard

Promote a 3rd keeper

Buy

A new DM for cover

A new CF for cover

Sell

Marcelo

Bale

Illaramendi

James Rodriguez

Lucas Silva

Release

Iker

AA

Khedira(oh wait he has been frozen out already)

Cancel Hernandez loan

• Downvote 1

Lahi I like James but he didn't fit the system maybe under Rafa he might.

I want Unai Emery over anyone right now but will settle for Rafa

Rafa is married to 4-2-3-1

So it would be a flat back four who defend as a unit so a new LB will be high on the list because Marcelo isn't built to defend.

The double pivot which tends to have an organiser(ala Xabi & Gargano) and a destroyer(ala Mascherano & Lopez/Inler/Jorginho)

He has to decided if Kroos or Modric will be the organiser I would pick Modric he pulls the strings much better than Kroos(who should be the 10 IMO)

For the destroyer he needs to find out because Lucas Silva needs to be loaned out and Illara won't make it@Real as for Casmeiro I don't think he has a future@the club which is a shame

So I think Javi Martinez would be the answer.

Then his wide players who he expects to put in the shift thats where the power struggle between Rafa y Cristiano Ronaldo might take place(Cristiano played under Mourinho and fitted into the system so who is to say he won't do the same for Benitez)

I can fully see Rafa wanting to keep Bale so that PSG bid for Cristiano Ronaldo might turn into a reality.

As for that 10 or SS he loves to employ ala Gerrard & Hamsik it has to be out of Kroos,James y Isco that will mean one of them will be sold this summer.

Now the CF it looks like Benzema unless Rafa pulls a master stroke and converts Cristiano Ronaldo into a CF.

If Rafa does get appointed the one thing I ask is play attacking football a lot not sometimes like he used to with Liverpool and these days with Napoli.

I cannot see him lasting longer than two years but another CL would be nice

I really want Unai Emery

• Upvote 1

The keeper admitted that Real’s board have made a great decision by sacking Italian boss, Carlo Ancelotti, revealing he was angry that the coach hardly played him last season.

“It is a demanding club and the president and the board have made ​​the best decision,” he told Cadena SER.

“But I thank Carlo for what he has done for me, even though last year I was angry because he did not play me much.”

“He is a noble person and I wish him well. Madrid will always be his home.”

Bait Iker was floating them late night texts to Perez.

I wonder if they will get rid of all the big personalities in the dressing room for the new manager like they did when jose took charge

I wonder if Florentino Perez will give the next manager three years and full control of transfers in and out

Watching Pep and one of the greatest sides in world football do their thing

While you had a manager who's only way to withstand that level of brilliance being 'sh*t on a stick' football

What I want to know is, do you think another manager parachuted in under the same circumstances would have done better? That Barca side was years in the making.

Mourinho weren't the problem at your club, the higher ups were. How was Pellegrini meant to work with this sh*t in 2009/10? The higher ups snaked him selling the all the Dutchmen except for Drenthe :lol: 

wj9rh.jpg

Mourinho inherited this mess and he might have had control for three years, but how much change can you really make in that time while also firefighting against the greatest team I've had the pleasure of watching? 

/

Peliegrini called it 5 years ago

Pellegrini said: "Florentino's project is extraordinary but I think he's got it wrong.
"I haven't spoken to him since August. I respect his stance as president [but] he has a sporting project in which I don't fit."

Bane

Nah I don't think Rafa would agree to the job if that was the case.

He loves the double pivot

An enforcer and deep line playmaker(two different roles now you see how laughable it is when people try and compare Xabi Alonso y Busquets)

Pogba isn't the type of DM Rafa would want

Pogba would be used as that SS or out wide if he was to be signed

Kroos or Modric are going to be the DLP if it is Luka then Kroos is more likely to be the SS.

Kondogbia is an interesting alternative as that DM enforcer

Even though he played as a box to box for Monaco but in his time at Sevilla he was an DM enforcer(I wouldn't mind him because we can actually play football)

Rafa is known for his rotation policy aka tinkering which means the squad as a whole will get minutes which was Ancelotti downfall at the end aside the major injuries suffered.

The sad thing about this

Ancelotti

He played attacking football,re-built the dressing room after the mess Mourinho left. He transmitted calm. And won the CL in his first season ended a 13 year drought.

Rafa needs to be the Rafa of Valencia to survive more than six months

The first 0-0 against Levante and The Madrid press will have their knives out which will lead to Rafa having a serious meltdown.

if those are the standards at Real, I dunno what the directors are playing at

when's the last time you looked at the squad and thought 'yeah, the plan has finally come together'?

imagine if pellegrini had mourinho's squad/power