UK Politics Topic

Don Crack

• 1 year later...

lol good riddance

\

Two stories from labour and tories today which sum up the state of how horrible both parties are.

first from our overlord authoritarian 

Domestic abuse suspects face being banned from contacting their victims, drinking alcohol or taking drugs, and face electronic tagging to monitor their movements under a new civil protection order as part of a consultation launched by Theresa May on Thursday.

Breaches of any of the conditions of the new domestic abuse protection civil order will be punishable as a criminal offence. Ministers say they are designed as an early intervention measure to shield victims from further abuse from unconvicted suspects.

Family, civil or criminal courts may grant the new orders on a “freestanding application” from a victim or a member of their family or a support service without the need for police backing.

Man won't even have to be convicted of a crime, just suspected.

and from labour 

Labour will fine employers who do not close their gender pay gaps, the party will pledge on International Women’s Day.

Under a Labour government, the party said all private and public employers who have 250 workers or more would not only have to audit their gender pay, but prove they are taking action to close the gap or face a fine from the government.

The party plans to publicly consult on the policy, including with businesses, trade unions and women’s organisations, including non-departmental public bodies. The government has already introduced a legal requirement for all major employers to publish their data on gender pay and bonuses by April 2018.

Labour said it would go further and impose sanctions on businesses that had significant gaps in the pay of male and female staff. It will propose mandatory certification for large firms to have tailored action plans to close the gender pay gap, to be certified by the government every two years.

Pretty sure they won’t take any notice of the people who have debunked their myth of why the pay gap exists, and surround theirselves with the voices of cathy newman and those sorts.

Why is our politics so driven off peoples emotions and feelings ffs.

3 minutes ago, JOHN DOE said:

at least labours is clearly just a vote grabbing measure 

perrfetcly timed \s well 

teresa may we been knowing about her and her afflcition to civil liberties 

fuck her nd fuck gambino at the same time 

Tbf they’ve both let the ting off for womens day.

but cs Theresa May, this has always been her true colours.

11 minutes ago, Heero Yuy said:

lol good riddance

\

Two stories from labour and tories today which sum up the state of how horrible both parties are.

first from our overlord authoritarian 

Man won't even have to be convicted of a crime, just suspected.

and from labour 

Pretty sure they won’t take any notice of the people who have debunked their myth of why the pay gap exists, and surround theirselves with the voices of cathy newman and those sorts.

Why is our politics so driven off peoples emotions and feelings ffs.

What is the problem with labours proposal?

And what has been debunked?

/

These policies are not equally bad not remotely

The conservative one is fuckry. Dont even need backing from the police. That means anyone can say anything about anyone an go u can go jail

Stop it

51 minutes ago, Grafter said:

What is the problem with labours proposal?

And what has been debunked?

From what I’ve seen it’s based on top line figures, and disregards the underlying reasons of why a pay gap exists. They’re working off a report that looked the earnings of men and women in companies without taking into the roles fulfilled, alongside many other variables. Two great examples are easy jet, which had a pay gap of over 50%. Because most of the men who work for easyjet are pilots, and most women cabin crew. 

Another one was Tesco.

Warehouse workers get paid more than those on the check out. More women work on the checkout than they do in the warehouse, and vice versa.. That’s simply due to the choices people make, women preferring not to do manual labour etc. 

These were two companies both highlighted for gender pay gap issues, and easyjet being in the report itself. Then there’s the fundamental differences between men and women which play a huge role when you just look at all the earnings of men vs all the earnings of women. 

The debunkment thing comes from it’s not an issue of equality (which is what they keep saying), it’s simply that equal opportunities does not amount to equal outcomes.  Not saying that there isn't genuine discrimination out there against women, just that it's not a problem with society, more those companies, and individuals in particular.

Jordan Peterson did a great job explaining it in a interview with on Ch4.

Okay that's two companies and it doesn't address the whole issue

Regards tesco i saw the ladies on the news and they werent talking about rhe work they do at the checkout. They were talkin about the equally heavy lifting they do to stock the shelves

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/women/business/6-myths-equal-pay-comebacks-need-shoot/amp/

This is a very good article which debunks the myths u appear to subscribe too

There certainly is an issue of equality. There literally are women getting paid less for doin the exact same job and we have had 2 cases brought against my organisation

3 hours ago, Grafter said:

Okay that's two companies and it doesn't address the whole issue

Regards tesco i saw the ladies on the news and they werent talking about rhe work they do at the checkout. They were talkin about the equally heavy lifting they do to stock the shelves

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/women/business/6-myths-equal-pay-comebacks-need-shoot/amp/

This is a very good article which debunks the myths u appear to subscribe too

There certainly is an issue of equality. There literally are women getting paid less for doin the exact same job and we have had 2 cases brought against my organisation

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/07/tesco-equal-pay-claim-could-cost-supermarket-up-to-4bn - This was the point about tesco I was referring too.

In that article you mentioned

her points in order...

1. She used Carrie Gracie as her first point to prove gender pay and equal pay aren't the same thing. In the situation of carrie grace it made no mention to how much experience she had in her role compared to the people who were getting paid more. We all know experience is a big factor in rate of salary. Furthermore she is a correspondent of a particular subject, and is it possible correspondents of different subjects carry different wages? 

2. her second point is her opinion.

3. what is her actual point here? that if you add up the earnings of men against women that you get a pay gap, something I said in my first post. I'm not denying a pay gap, so the watering down of the percentage doesn't really affect what i'm saying.

4. She references a company called  Phase Eight Retailer for having a large gender pay gap. The store itself says the workers in the shop are overwhelming female. Suggesting that the men within the company don't work on the shop floor, non management retail shop floor roles are notoriously low pay. The writer suggests that this is due to the stereotyping in schools and girls being pushed towards certain choices. Ok cool so nothing to actually do with a workplace inequality, and instead social conditioning for women to do lesser roles? If that's the issue then it's an issue of schooling and education.

5 It’s an undeniable fact that women make a career sacrifice when they have children. This is one of the genuine reasons about the gender pay gap exists. Women will more than likely come back on reduced hours, and earn less than her male counterparts working full time.  Unfortunately your opportunities to progress alongside male counterparts working full time is going to be at a disadvantage. This is what i was talking to about the fundamentals differences between men and women.

6. She’s trying to debunk a theory that women struggle to ask for pay rises because studies have suggested on average the lack favorable traits, and score higher in unfavorable ones. Without actually mentioning the names of studies she’s used to back up her point. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3149680/

The evidence here suggests men on average scored higher in assertiveness, while women scored significantly higher in politeness, agreeableness. The authors of the studies notes the results were consistent with previous research. 

I acknowledge inequality against women in some workplaces exists. But it's individual companies at fault, and requires a case by case management of the situation. Not a heavy handed approach by the government based on a top line number.

I'm not sure what myths i've subscribed to that aren't facts, and i'm not sure what that article is trying to do either.

• 3 weeks later...