Youth Unemployment

Mame Biram Diouf

2. Make it harder for young people to receive out-of-work benefits.

"[it] is not fair – on taxpayers, or on young people themselves – that 18-21 year-olds with no work experience should slip straight into a life on benefits without first contributing to their community. So we will introduce tougher Day One Work Requirements for young people claiming out-of-work benefits. We will replace the Jobseeker's Allowance for 18-21 year-olds with a Youth Allowance that will be time-limited to six months, after which young people will have to take an apprenticeship, a traineeship or do daily community work for their benefits.

"It is also not fair that taxpayers should have to pay for 18-21 year-olds on Jobseeker's Allowance to claim Housing Benefit in order to leave home. So we will ensure that they no longer have an automatic entitlement to Housing Benefit."

This is why I will never vote Conservative. How out of touch can you be.

After six months what is the chance jobs or apprenticeships will exist for everyone. Especially in the case of the available apprenticeships not being what you want to do.

Smh

Guest babatundestacks

Yeah thats a bit f*cked up tbh but as the saying goes.

G A B O S

Dunno why people keep saying "paid anything into the system" .. Barry the 45 year old brick layer who's just lost his job is not spending long on benefits, it's a quick stop-gap until he can find more work, the benefit abusers are the 1s who are 30+ and never come off benefits, those are the 1s who should have to work for their benefits.. Give the kids a break, ent easy for young people ouchea

innit, we pay our taxes to help the country developing, that includes investing in the youth

Apprenticeships pay lower than minimum wage, if they're going to force people into them the least they can do is make minimum pay for apprenticeships match that of normal employment (even if that means using government subsidies)

Daily community work should be reserved for them guys 26+ long term on benefits without a good reason such as young kids, carer or ill.

Priority should be getting all youth qualified for a trade or profession.

Doing community work as a disgruntled teenager would be the biggest reason to start trapping but i see the conservatives got that covered with more prisons.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Daily community work should be reserved for them guys 26+ long term on benefits without a good reason such as young kids, carer or ill.

Doing community work as a disgruntled teenager would be the biggest reason to start trapping but i see the conservatives got that covered with more prisons.

Trust me.

Of course, I agree with with your second point. But what is wrong with 18-21 doing daily community work for their benefits, if they are not in education or training? What else would they be doing?

Of course, I agree with with your second point. But what is wrong with 18-21 doing daily community work for their benefits, if they are not in education or training? What else would they be doing?

If you're going to force them to do something beneficial for the country than get them jobs where they can gain skills with some financial incentives or the military.

Also if you have all these youth working for free don't you think they're going to push out paid jobs? 

If you're going to force them to do something beneficial for the country than get them jobs where they can gain skills with some financial incentives or the military.

Also if you have all these youth working for free don't you think they're going to push out paid jobs? 

I said if they are not in education or training. Requiring them to do work within their community while recieving benefits, should incentivise them to seek out opportunities for education or training.

I'm not sure how popular compulsory military service would be.

Well no. It's clearly a stop-gap policy, not a permanent one. Furthemore ideally, they would take on civic duties, and not ones that benefit private firms.

If u look really hard there is jobs out there the problem is alot of people are just simply too lazy

Truss..

Its definitely Laziness 

Got one council tenant, this guy is young, work fit and able (No excuses not to be in employment). Never worked a day in his life.

I asked him why he doesn't work? He said he cant find a job because they ask for experience every time he has tried ^_)

I asked him what kind of Job he was looking for? He said he wants to get into health care. Cool, Anyway, spoke to my girl to get him a job at the hospital 2 years back. He wants to branch into healthcare and needs experience. This guy managed to wing himself out of an interview with some other lame excuses. He was too comfortable with the benefits, rent paid for, Food & other extras.

Look, me personally, I am all for benefits for anyone trying to get their life back on track. But, the incentive to work & earn is just not attractive enough for many to leave that life on the dole alone. Benefits should be a safety net for those who are just unable to work due to health or lost their Job. its not some compulsory entitlement  

They are so many access courses & apprenticeships already available all paid for by the government. I completely agree with those fit & able for work need to earn their benefit is some way or the other.

If u look really hard there is jobs out there the problem is alot of people are just simply too lazy

Truss..

Its definitely Laziness 

and the fact alot turn the nose up at jobs they think are beneath them

& blame the polish people for shit paid jobs