Let's pay homage...

Michel Kane

Xavi-Hernandez-FC-Barcelona-v-Club-Leon-

The greatest midfielder of our generation & in the conversation for being the greatest midfielder of all-time.

The hub of two of the best sides of all-time.

Aside from Cruyff, no other player has been the embodiment of a particular playing style to the extent & the QUALITY of Xavi. Academies all over the world have adjusted their player development plan to create players like him.

I'm sort of disappointed that there hasn't been a bit more acknowledgement of him as he's on the cusp of finishing at Barcelona. 

Anyway, lads...

Xavi.

Quite possibly the greatest, your third sentence is right, the complete embodiment of a style that would dominate world football. 

Hard to say if he is the greatest of all time, but in my lifetime only Zidane Iniesta and Pirlo come close.

Fantastic player and one of the best our generation but never the best outright. Zidane is above him

Forget Iniesta he was Spain key man

It's also quite a statement to say the hub of "two of the best sides of all-time". Especially Spain. Many people who also had the priviledge to watch the Brazil sides of old would say they were the best

Yehshua  - Pirlo is not in the same league as either Xavi or Zidane. Stop it please

Fantastic player and one of the best our generation but never the best outright. Zidane is above him

It's also quite a statement to say the hub of "two of the best sides of all-time". Especially Spain. Many people who also had the priviledge to watch the Brazil sides of old would say they were the best

Yehshua  - Pirlo is not in the same league as either Xavi or Zidane. Stop it please

Arguably the two best sides of all time....thats a fact mate, both Spain and Barcelona are right at the top of the totem pole when it comes to sporting teams, not in the last year or decade but in the history of the sport.

What Brazil are you talking about btw?

And of course Pirlo is in the same league as Xavi..

Hes won everything Xavi has, while being probably even more technically proficient.

There all in the same league for me, but i'll rate Zidane the highest obviously.

Xavi 08-09 season>>>> Any midfielders season.

Zidane was a more advanced player, more technical, more capable of star moments.

But the level of consistency Xavi reached, i haven't seen before, every touch, every pass was most likely spot on, every game he turned up and dominated.

Firstly. Zidane wasn't a central midfielder. 

Secondly, I never said Spain or Barcelona were the two best sides of all-time. I said they were among the best which is indisputable.

You didn't say greatest central midfielder

The greatest midfielder of our generation

Arguably the two best sides of all time....thats a fact mate, both Spain and Barcelona are right at the top of the totem pole when it comes to sporting teams, not in the last year or decade but in the history of the sport.

Hes won everything Xavi has, while being probably even more technically proficient.

There all in the same league for me, but i'll rate Zidane the highest obviously.

1970 Brazil according to many are the greatest national side ever

Pirlo is not in the same league as Xavi. Not as influencial or consistent

Not as consistent, not as influential, but even more talented and just as proven.

Pirlo didn't have the luxury of playing in a Guardiola team or for Spain, but i think it would have been similar dominance if you switched their teams around.

Pirlos won the world cup, won the CL twice and might win it for the third time, won Serie As etc.

He's also dominated Euros in a way i haven't seen a aging midfielder dominate teams since Zidanes performance in world cup 06.

He's that level, in any category you want to asses him, he excels.

/

But this is a Xavi thread anyways, shouldn't have brought his name up.

Firstly. Zidane wasn't a central midfielder.

Secondly, I never said Spain or Barcelona were the two best sides of all-time. I said they were among the best which is indisputable.

You didn't say greatest central midfielder

The greatest midfielder of our generation

Fair, I should have specified.

And 1970 Brazil were a great team.

But you can't tell me Spain, the only team to win back back Euros and World cup, aren't in that conversation, because they are.

I haven't said that, just said it's up for debate

But yes back to Xavi...will be missed hugely, especially for Spain.

I normally say footballers get the credit they deserve but not in this case. Deserves more plaudits for how good he's been

• Upvote 2

1970 Brazil according to many are the greatest national side ever

Pirlo is not in the same league as Xavi. Not as influencial or consistent

You don't watch Serie A because that comment is ridiculous.

And I don't just mean the fan boys that jumped on him the last 3 years.

Nonsense

Pirlo has been consistent and very influential since being converted from a AM to DLP(Same with Xavi when he was converted from a DLP to a CM).

Just look at club level

A lot of Serie A titles and Two CL medals.(Even tho it's not the measuring stick you would use to discuss one of the GOAT)

Then there is his International career(not even your club level bullies have achieved an 1/8 of this)

World Cup 06 he was great

Euro 2008 he missed the quarters against Spain

World Cup 2010 he missed the whole tournament

Euro 2012 he bossed the tournament until the final

World Cup 2014 he taught England another lesson(never seen Lampard or Gerrard boss a game like Pirlo did in 2012 & 2014) but the rest of his tournament was air.

Pirlo has surpassed Roberto Baggio(thats what happens when you turn up for club & country)

Ask any Italian fan, its hard to put anyone above Baggio.

I never saw him in his prime, but the way older people talk about him, he was arguably the best player in the world from 91-94, and if he didn't miss that penalty...

Also he had a great time with Juventus and did show up for Italy, so not sure what you mean about that last statement.

Guest babatundestacks

Pirlos been abit overrated since the england game in the euros.

History has been rewritten since that game still.

I would go as far as to say that guti>>>pirlo

• Downvote 2