Employment Background Checks

Mame Biram Diouf

If you fail the checks, it invalidates the terms of your employment

Happened to this guy i worked with. Didn't disclose a spent conviction, worked here for 6 years

...Got a promotion, but had to apply again.... 

During the vetting process for the new role, they discovered is spent conviction....

Guy man is gone.....despite all of the good work he's done since he got out of prison and turned his life around...

I suppose it is down to the company and how strongly the person above you fights with HR

Yeah, would always advise caution where these things are concerned. Too often people underestimate the repercussions of lying on their cv, exaggerations that have no real bearing on your ability to do the job are fine, purely aesthetic. But if you lead an employer to believe you are capable of a job, backed by previous experience, and it turns out you aren't actually capable, if the result of this is loss of income or any legal issues, you could be liable to be sued or worse. Its fraud after all.

One of the consultants i worked with previously made bold claims about winning pieces of work in France to the tune of 7 figures, got the job. Bidding stage he f*cked up massively, cost the company probably the sum of close to 4-5 million, resulting in a few junior members being reassigned and one leaving due to not wanting to relocate to Manchester (no offence lads). 

How deep do these duck tales go?

Spent convictions have to be declared if you are applying for a job in finance or working with children.

/

Normal references are nowadays just done via email

I've provided references for a few people it's usually just questions on headed paper that the referee is required to answer

It is really down to the processes the company have in place.

Ive worked for two start ups(they were couple years deep), dropped some cool cool stories.

At any time they could have checked up the info and it wouldve been a myth. I was relying on the fact that they wouldnt really probe if I was doing the work, which in both cases paid off

Back in uni I added some companies I didnt work for just to get the interview, HR did some checks and found niet, was only cos of my extremly cool manager I didnt get the boot.

All the luck of the draw I guess.

Luckily I dont need to add extra seasoning like I used to but if I was back in the position of trying to get my foot in the door, i'll do it again.

Spent convictions have to be declared if you are applying for a job in finance

Depends who you work for tbh

Was most definately squeaky bum time for me

Didn't declare unspent convictions and one of my convictions spent the same week the DBS check got ran was thanking Jesu the ting took the full 2 weeks for them to process ??

Even had to use my middle name at work as a precautionary measure incase one of my colleagues ever tries to google search me because it would be a WRAP if the lie I'm living ever gets unearthed

Was still shitting myself the first 3 months thinking I was getting fired any time my line manager called me into the office ?

Also had to give 5 years employment history, credit checks, give 3 years worth of bank statements and proof of address

Shit was skressful

Was still shitting myself the first 3 months thinking I was getting fired any time my line manager called me into the office ?

:lol:

I have been exactly here.

I would listen to conversations of my mates whenever they were OK the phone like they were talking about sacking me.

Used to do the sign of the cross before I entered the office.

Lord I love you

i got caught out lying on my CV and was threatened with legal action for fraud (they offered me a job and then found out) because I'd taken expenses from them for travelling to a bunch of different locations for interviews/meetings with people. Thankfully, after the initial conflict, I'd banked enough goodwill to get off with just paying them back. Fraud case would've been the end of my career. I work in M&A though, and from what I understand, high finance in general is pretty thorough with their background checks.

I spent some time in advertising once upon a time, told some lies there and was told they'd do a background check but I never got found out so just pray that you're lucky

Didn't declare unspent convictions and one of my convictions spent the same week the DBS check got ran was thanking Jesu the ting took the full 2 weeks for them to process

Even had to use my middle name at work as a precautionary measure incase one of my colleagues ever tries to google search me because it would be a WRAP if the lie I'm living ever gets unearthed

Was still shitting myself the first 3 months thinking I was getting fired any time my line manager called me into the office

Also had to give 5 years employment history, credit checks, give 3 years worth of bank statements and proof of address

sh*t was skressful

A mate of mine was interviewing some lad, 5 minutes before he came in, he googled his name. The first hit was a Daily Mail,article about how he worked at HSBC and stole people's deets to set up bullshit benefits accounts. Needless to say he didn't get the job.

Didn't declare unspent convictions and one of my convictions spent the same week the DBS check got ran was thanking Jesu the ting took the full 2 weeks for them to process Even had to use my middle name at work as a precautionary measure incase one of my colleagues ever tries to google search me because it would be a WRAP if the lie I'm living ever gets unearthed

Was still shitting myself the first 3 months thinking I was getting fired any time my line manager called me into the office

sh*t was skressful

A mate of mine was interviewing some lad, 5 minutes before he came in, he googled his name. The first hit was a Daily Mail,article about how he worked at HSBC and stole people's deets to set up bullshit benefits accounts. Needless to say he didn't get the job.
/

A lad I know got sacked from UBS for, on his application, he put his resist A Level result down rather than the original one (knowingly) as they're only interested in your initial result and got the job. 2 months in & his MD comes over and tells him to pack his shit and leave. It took HR 2 months to run a background check and they still got rid of him

*edit* apologies for multiple posts. On the iPad and thought I was editing not quoting