Employment Background Checks

Mame Biram Diouf

yea you smacked it

wish i could pay someone to wipe my slate clean

on another note newspapers should be obliged to erase the names of people they mention who go on to buss case

sh*t is basically slander

Truss, if you go to an interview and they Google you, they ain't gonna wait to offer you the ting then do the crb, they'll just see the article. And I swear papers only care about following up if the verdict is guilty

How do you guys blag a role that you have no experience in?

I have just finished uni and I've been unsuccessful at interviews because they have chosen candidates with more experience :/

I'm thinking that i may have to start gassing up these employers u kna

• Upvote 1

Tbh

Besides lying.

Extracurricular activities and general stuff in and around the field you are in count for experience.

Join a society, get involved. Wrote a blog. Meet people in the field and do stuff for free. Start or get involved in a summer break project.

These things are vital during uni, if you didn't do them you will be disadvantaged, simple as.

I cannot stress enough how much these things are required even with a solid uni on your CV.

• Upvote 1

What you trying to get into?

It helps if you read a lot about the industry and the working environments, then you can bullshit from that. If you/anyone wants to get into finance then mergersandinquisitions.com as well as Wall Street Oasis are great to get inside views of what the actual jobs are then you can just tailor stuff that you've done at Uni or in your extra curricular activities to make sure that you're hitting the beats that they'd be after.

It's tough out there for grads mate but keep your chin up and keep moving. Learn from the experiences of getting Kb'd rather that getting disheartened. I believe grad hires, in London, are now at pre recession levels so things will come off. If worst comes to worst then take a different approach - find people's contacts through LinkedIn or the 'About us' sections of the websites and cold email them. Pitch yourself, add your CV and maybe an example of work you've done, then ask about a temp/perm position and how you're just trying to get your foot in the door.

Networking is vital anywhere, build up a good network from things like that, get out & get in their faces, and you'll reap the rewards eventually. Key bit of advise, if you build up some handy contacts with people (albeit they may not give you a job) but keep your nose to the ground, stay in the trade press, or if you strike up a common interest, then use that to your advantage and use that as a way to stay in their consciousness. For example: I networked with a Partner at a large boutique firm, turns out he's into boxing (I had on my LinkedIn as my 'interests' being boxing), and I'd drop him a line from time to time re: certain things going on in the sport. He then offers me the chance to sit down for a job which I was under qualified for (him and I both knew) but he wanted to see where I was at and use me as a benchmark. So building a relationship with people based on substance, without being annoying, will help you.

Just be cunning, be creative and be positive. Something will break your way and your face will fit. Immerse yourself in the world you want to work in.

*apologies for the waffle, didn't realise until I'd finished writing it*

• Upvote 4

my past businesses/projects also gave me a big boost on the cv.

also just doing that stuff got me alright at coding, photoshop, campaigns, finance etcetc

skills i chucked in and gassed.

people who graduated between 2009 and 2012 definitely had no choice, fly or die.

How do you guys blag a role that you have no experience in?

I have just finished uni and I've been unsuccessful at interviews because they have chosen candidates with more experience :/

I'm thinking that i may have to start gassing up these employers u kna

if you're applying for graduate roles. You must be able to blag, look at the job description, use glass door, learn what the role entails and personalise it and link it to your degree and past experience.

Someone can use helping out kids at Sunday school to be "managing a project"

Kent.ac.uk have good ideas for graduates seeking employment..and answering interview questions. If you're getting interviews you're doing half of it right

• Upvote 1

Yea marketing is hard to get into.

With these kind of roles your creativity in how you make yourself known to potential employers can go a long way.

Long time back I was trying to get into digital marketing and came across a charity that was trying to run a campaign but it wasn't very good. I came out with a better idea for it, put it all together in a proposal and sent it off to them.

By the time I heard back it was like 3-4 months and I was already pursuing something else but they got back to me.

Something like that could be worth a shot.

Also I see marketing people trying to dabble with basic HTML and CSS, Photoshop etc. Having those skills, showing them off and screaming about them could increase your chances too.

Good luck mate!

• Upvote 1

Yea marketing is hard to get into.

With these kind of roles your creativity in how you make yourself known to potential employers can go a long way.

Long time back I was trying to get into digital marketing and came across a charity that was trying to run a campaign but it wasn't very good. I came out with a better idea for it, put it all together in a proposal and sent it off to them.

By the time I heard back it was like 3-4 months and I was already pursuing something else but they got back to me.

Something like that could be worth a shot.

Also I see marketing people trying to dabble with basic HTML and CSS, Photoshop etc. Having those skills, showing them off and screaming about them could increase your chances too.

Good luck mate!

Cheers mate

Where are you based Hipster? I worked in advertising for a little while but that was in Manchester.

Another point may actually be to look outside of where you're based, if you're willing to move around, then that'll help too. Manchester & Leeds seem to be having some sort of resurgence in the creative industries now

Did you study something marketing related at Uni? I definitely think putting together some sort of workbook together with examples of stuff may help too. When I was vettinf applications when I was in advertising the people that alwahs got favoured were ones that tried to do something different with their applications (some done videos, some done interactive CV's, stuff like that. That may transfer over to marketing too? Secondly, before goinf into finance, when I was looking at creative industries, I was invited to an assessment centre for sports marketing in Nike's football department. Everyone there had portfolios of assignements and extra curricular stuff they done just to show their ability, I was kinda blew out of the water on that front. I don't know how much of a help that is but you could try devising a mock marketinf strategy, similar to what Martinez done

• Upvote 1

Where are you based Hipster? I worked in advertising for a little while but that was in Manchester.

Another point may actually be to look outside of where you're based, if you're willing to move around, then that'll help too. Manchester & Leeds seem to be having some sort of resurgence in the creative industries now

Did you study something marketing related at Uni? I definitely think putting together some sort of workbook together with examples of stuff may help too. When I was vettinf applications when I was in advertising the people that alwahs got favoured were ones that tried to do something different with their applications (some done videos, some done interactive CV's, stuff like that. That may transfer over to marketing too? Secondly, before goinf into finance, when I was looking at creative industries, I was invited to an assessment centre for sports marketing in Nike's football department. Everyone there had portfolios of assignements and extra curricular stuff they done just to show their ability, I was kinda blew out of the water on that front. I don't know how much of a help that is but you could try devising a mock marketinf strategy, similar to what Martinez done

I'm based 40 minutes away from manchester so its not far off. Ideally i would like to try to work in the midlands or north west, i'm not feeling Yorkshire tbh.

I studied Marketing Management and conducted a marketing strategy for a children's hospice whilst at uni. My mate was telling me about how he brought his marketing plan ( his assignment) to an interview and got the role, so i will consider bringing my marketing plans to interviews. After reading some posts i know now that i need to step my game up on some skills. 

yea you smacked it

wish i could pay someone to wipe my slate clean

on another note newspapers should be obliged to erase the names of people they mention who go on to buss case

sh*t is basically slander

You can contact Google and the sites to request they get taken down under the EU data protection act/right to be forgotten
  • Upvote 1