You just couldn't make it up

Guest babatundestacks

Guest babatundestacks

Mohammad Rahman from Walthamstow acquitted of two charges of rape at the Old Bailey

3956600.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc3

An Uber cab driver accused of raping a barmaid has walked free from court after telling jurors that she raped him.

Mohammad Rahman, of Bunyan Road, Walthamstow, was acquitted at the Old Bailey after he was accused of raping a woman in a lay by when she could not pay him for the ride home.

But the 34-year-old said the woman, who can not be named, forced him to have sex against his will in the early hours of September 8 last year.

Rahman was acquitted of two charges of rape on Friday (July 10) and will not face a retrial as the woman has said she will not give evidence for a second time.

The Bangladesh-born cabbie, who moved to the UK in 2006, said he considered reporting the incident in Hammersmith to police, but could not face the shame of what had happened.

"I was thinking I will go to the police station and report it”, he told the Jury.

"But I felt so bad and so ashamed, what would I say? How are I going to say to the police that I was forced by someone.

ADVERTISING

"So I didn't go to the police."

He said he was finishing his shift just before 2am when the woman jumped into his car in Mare Street, Hackney, and begged for a ride home to west London. 

The woman, who had been drinking with colleagues at the London Fields Brewery in Hackney, described herself as being "beyond drunk", when the alleged attacks took place.

Share article

The court had heard Rahman dropped her off at her ex-boyfriend's house after the alleged attack, and was arrested three days later.

He refused to answer police questions, apart from to tell officers he had a good relationship with his wife.