Britain's Forgotten Slave Owners (9pm on BBC2)

Hipster

I'm baffled why we haven't seen more about the fairly large black community that was in London in the 1800's. There were some very interesting people around in that time.

Do tell bro

This a good start. A nice mix of people around in that time.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/equianocentre/Black_Londoners_map.html

This is a very good source as well.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/static/Black.jsp

Slavery, trade, the shipping industries and war brought Africans to London in increasing numbers over the course of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. By the end of the American War in 1783 there was a population of between 5,000 and 10,000 black men and women living in the capital, a central ingredient to the ragout of cultures and lives that made this a world city. From its high-point at the end of the eighteenth century the West Indian and African communities of London went into relative decline. Following the abolition of the slave trade and a generation later, of slavery itself within the British Empire, there remained fewer new recruits to this population. Nevertheless, London remained the centre of a worldwide empire that both attracted black men and women from the colonies and ensured the city would form the nexus for an evolving anti-imperialist politics.

I find it very disturbing that most young ethnic people, especially blacks, are made to think our families only arrived here in the late 1940's and all our history before then was simply as slaves.

• Upvote 2

couple of my asian bruddas know A LOT about their own history, stuff thats not taught in school or shown on tv. its only blacks out here lost... the information is out there as well, in this day and age theres no excuses for not being even a little clued up beyond the whole "you were slaves, then we freed you" narrative. cant be relying on them to teach you your own history.

• Upvote 3

Tired of being reminded about this.

Same

But this is a bit different

yh i'm curious to know more about this.

It would be nice to see things on tv about black history instead of slavery.

I'm baffled why we haven't seen more about the fairly large black community that was in London in the 1800's. There were some very interesting people around in that time.

The black cultural archives is going to be doing something on black georgians soon

/

Lol @ being sick of being reminded. What a luxury it is to feel that way to have such disconnect

• Upvote 1

good doc, worth a watch

blacks out here lost... the information is out there as well, in this day and age theres no excuses for not being even a little clued up beyond the whole "you were slaves, then we freed you" narrative. cant be relying on them to teach you your own history.

Do tell bro

This a good start. A nice mix of people around in that time.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/equianocentre/Black_Londoners_map.html

This is a very good source as well.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/static/Black.jsp

Slavery, trade, the shipping industries and war brought Africans to London in increasing numbers over the course of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. By the end of the American War in 1783 there was a population of between 5,000 and 10,000 black men and women living in the capital, a central ingredient to the ragout of cultures and lives that made this a world city. From its high-point at the end of the eighteenth century the West Indian and African communities of London went into relative decline. Following the abolition of the slave trade and a generation later, of slavery itself within the British Empire, there remained fewer new recruits to this population. Nevertheless, London remained the centre of a worldwide empire that both attracted black men and women from the colonies and ensured the city would form the nexus for an evolving anti-imperialist politics.

I find it very disturbing that most young ethnic people, especially blacks, are made to think our families only arrived here in the late 1940's and all our history before then was simply as slaves.

This needs a thread man. I'm not even clued up enough on this.

black people were in england 100's of years before that even. Queen Elizabeth the 1st started deporting them.

you may find this interesting

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/elizabeth-the-ist-began-the-race-war-against-the-moors-of-england-oguejiofo-annu/

• Upvote 2

Guest babatundestacks

Trust the bbc to get this waffle coloured presenter to do the show so he can "connect to the wider audience".

How about a real fucking black person for once

• Downvote 3

Trust the bbc to get this waffle coloured presenter to do the show so he can "connect to the wider audience".

How about a real f*cking black person for once

I can't comment or C/S

Need to see his wife or girlfriend first

yep
  • Downvote 2

Guest babatundestacks

I can't comment or C/S

Tbh that comment was a bit harsh.

My beefs not with him.

Its with the Media for always tryna potray mixed as black

I can't comment or C/S

My beefs not with him.

To them mixed is black by default. Also don't see the issue

• Upvote 2

I can't comment or C/S

My beefs not with him.

Being Mixed you have a choice IMO

Stan for the whites or Cape for the blacks

• Downvote 1

Guest babatundestacks

I can't comment or C/S

My beefs not with him.

It shouldnt be like that though should it.

Black should be black and mixed should be mixed.Just like white is white.

They shouldnt be trying to replace real blacks with mixed people just because they are light skinned and have european features.

If you wanna make a docummentary about black people use black people dont insult us conscious niggas intelligence by using these rebores as a representation

• Downvote 3