Badman's Business Venture

Badman

Good work bro congrats.

When you get a decent dev churning the work out for you make sure you look after them. Thing is with this type of work, not many quality developers are going to be interested. Guys want to be working on web applications and that sort of stuff.

And yea on the whole topic of demand for staff. It's pretty crazy. Couple months back I was looking for opportunities and started a job app with the BBC. Filled in the first page copying and pasting from CV. When the second page came and they had them long ass questions I thought leave it.

Couple weeks back HR manager at BBC is calling me up asking me to come in for an interview sounding bare desperate on the back of that incomplete app. Kind of puts it into perspective.

One of my boys just gave up coding to become a scrum master. He's new contract is £900 a day. He is an absolute g though but still. Fackin £900 a day.

Good work bro congrats.

When you get a decent dev churning the work out for you make sure you look after them. Thing is with this type of work, not many quality developers are going to be interested. Guys want to be working on web applications and that sort of stuff.

And yea on the whole topic of demand for staff. It's pretty crazy. Couple months back I was looking for opportunities and started a job app with the BBC. Filled in the first page copying and pasting from CV. When the second page came and they had them long ass questions I thought leave it.

Couple weeks back HR manager at BBC is calling me up asking me to come in for an interview sounding bare desperate on the back of that incomplete app. Kind of puts it into perspective.

One of my boys just gave up coding to become a scrum master. He's new contract is £900 a day. He is an absolute g though but still. Fackin £900 a day.

To be a scrum master? Nah fuck off he's chatting shit

Meeting went well imo

They obviously tried to low ball us, as we are a startup they think we need them more than they need us but the reality is they are desperate as the last bunch of freelancers they had ruined an important project and my bro came in and sorted it out

However negotiations are ongoing. Its all interesting stuff as its all new to me and intriguing to see how business relationships and partnerships are formed etc

We are 3 brothers who are 'partners' of the company, in reality we are directors of a limited company.

We have 3 full time Devs on the books now and 1 part time designer

2 of them are school friends that know nothing about HTML5 what so ever and my bro is training them from scratch. We have put them on a minimal but fair day rate and they aint complaining.

We treat them good :lol:

/

Can a mod change this thread title to "Badman's business venture"

o be a scrum master? Nah f*ck off he's chatting sh*t

He isn't and it's not really unheard of. Specially in finance. £600 a day is typical for 'scrum gurus'. I personally think it's taking the mick tbh.

Badman that's sick. Sounds like you're enjoying it as well.

So are you guys positioning yourselves as a digital agency sort of thing?

Yeah the positioning is a bit of a tricky one as we dont want to pigeon hole ourselves a just banner makers. At the same time we don't want to be reliant on existing digital agencies for work

I guess ultimately together with some designers in our books (And who knows even creatives) we are going to try to get work straight from source then branch out to other online bits

Is that how it works? tbh I have no idea how this industry works :lol:

/

Thx TF

Yea that sounds like a viable plan. You have something with the banners and my advise would be to get that right throughout first before you start branching out.

But your ultimate goals are sound and achievable. In between I would look to explore other little niches like the banners where you can continue to build your client base, etc.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Quick role description I found online..

Essential Duties:

- Doing everything possible to ensure delighting customers

- Guiding the team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values to delight customers

- Guiding the team on how to get the most of out self organization

- Guiding the team on self organizing to fill in the intentional gaps left in the Agile/Scrum frameworks

- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization

- Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.

- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving.

- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.

- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution

- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information

- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog.

- Providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example

Required Skills/Experience

- First level Scrum Master certification (CSM, PSM I)

- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.

- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency

- Knowledge of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach(example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)

Preferred Skills/Experience (Any of these is a plus)

- Second level Scrum Master certification (CSP, PSM II)

- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least two years for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.

- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc

- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games

- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team

- Experience applying a wide variety of well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach(example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs,etc)

- Previous experience as a team lead

- Excellent communication and mentoring skills

</end job description>

Some other things you(the job poster) might want to fill in:

- Required education level

- Required software product development experience (I don't recommend picking a particular development role -- just general software development experience)

- Any other things that you feel are important to your project, company, or team culture

It's basically a 'co-ordinator' (don't quote me on this) for a development team. Gets deeper though. It's almost like a cult. Sometimes I think my friend is taking the piss and he's just acting up with some of the things he says. Haven't been able to get him to admit it though.

• 3 months later...

Quick lil update....

- We recently moved into our own office in Shoreditch, where we occupy the basement from some other company which is quite cool, they let us do what we like and dont give us no hassle

- There are now 8 of us we been growing nicely, the most recent came on board last week to look after our social media/analytic's etc

- Most of our clients thus far haven't been taking us serious as an established company and have been messing us around like c**ts however slowly the tides are turning and we should be bearing the fruits of our efforts very soon

- We been working on an project that could potentially change the advertising industry as we know it, watch this space 

/

Running your own business in the city is mad, thoroughly enjoying it.

• Upvote 2

Quick lil update....

- We recently moved into our own office in Shoreditch, where we occupy the basement from some other company which is quite cool, they let us do what we like and dont give us no hassle

- There are now 8 of us we been growing nicely, the most recent came on board last week to look after our social media/analytic's etc

- Most of our clients thus far haven't been taking us serious as an established company and have been messing us around like c**ts however slowly the tides are turning and we should be bearing the fruits of our efforts very soon

- We been working on an project that could potentially change the advertising industry as we know it, watch this space 

/

Running your own business in the city is mad, thoroughly enjoying it.

good look bro!

can you shed some light on the project you're working on re the advertising industry? I'm intrigued as I work in that industry too, may not be relevant to me though as it's such a large industry but still