Grammar Schools

Mame Biram Diouf

I went to one. It says a lot that I wasn't known for being the brighest in my primary school, but I got tutored for my 11+ exams and was 1 of the 3 people in my entire year to pass for this specfic school. Point being, weren't grammar schools designed to get in the brightest people from all backgrounds, but they still favour people that can get access to private tuition?

Would assume they are all over the country. Sister and some cousins went to Grammar schools. I was just looking at the Wikipedia page on it and the scoring system isn't how I remembered it to be on the 11+. Anyone remember their exam? My recollection was that you needed 135 or so to pass and I got around 129.

I agree it's still fulfilling its purpose, just not as fully when you have average students getting tutored and potentially pushing out brighter students from poorer backgrounds. I guess I can't say for sure if that's happening without any relevant stats - I probably have been hearing too much of the disappointment in the system from parents whos kids didn't pass. 

I dunno I don't think I would look at it like that. If parents have the money to pay for private tutoring then their kids will gain an advantage either way regardless of the 11+ and Grammar schools. But for people who don't have that luxury but still have bright kids who are learning well in school they get the chance to go to Grammar as soon as they pass, it's not a case of them not getting a place, they either pass or don't pass right.

I went to a grammar school and a large number of kids were from working class families. On the other side, a similar amount of the kids there had come from private/prep schools and families that appeared could afford private education but saw this as a free version for their kids.

Just because you got tutored doesn't mean you weren't bright. Sometimes its how you are taught and not you specifically

My mum was poor. We were poor...not the poorest but we never had shit. And i got tutoring (it was actually affordable back then) and i passed 4/6 11+ exams

I was totally average in my private school but i deserved my place tutor or not

My mum always used to say in primary school ( when my teachers would praise me for what she deemed mediocrity) "my idea of good an your teachers idea of good is two totally different things)

And its true. State schools have low expectations...people around me, in my family think im clever because of where i went to school an because i have this an that qualification

Havin gone to a selective/private school i kno what real clever is and i kno what really dumb (no helpin these children ) is

In short i am for grammar schools. A child i kno is gettin tutored now and his parents are definitely on hard times. The woman charges suttin like £15. I bet people who say they cant afford it are spendin that £15 a week om fucrky

State primaries need to step up. Before I got tutoring my mum insisted my yr 2 teacher give me maths homework even tho no one else was gettin it. The woman used to give me sad face like omg this poor child.

This country loves mediocrity

• Upvote 3