Platinum Hip-Hop Albums by Year

Flat Eric

I found this interesting so im just going to copy and paste it here

“1994 was the best year for hip-hop”

“Platinum albums are dead”

“Back in 2003 anyone could go platinum”

If you’ve ever talked to a hip-hop head, chances are you’ve heard them say one of those quotes above. We love to talk about platinum albums in a general sense, what the music industry is like and used to be like, but how often do we really get into specifics? How often do we back up our opinions with actual facts? 

Never. 

That’s why, after putting together the list of every rapper to ever have a platinum hip-hop album, we were eager to dive back into another breakdown of the Platinum Master List we compiled which had not only every artist, but every album and the year the album was released. Looking over that Master List it became clear what we could really chart hip-hop's commercial rise by looking at platinum albums by year of release, so we sorted by the date and got this: 

The Breakdown:

Most Popular Year: 1998 (30 albums)
Least Popular Year: 1984, 2014 & 2015 (1 album)

Mode (number that appears most often): 4
Average # of Platinum Albums Per Year: 10.25

The Numbers:

platinum-by-year.jpg

• 1984: 1
  • 1985: 2
  • 1986: 3
  • 1987: 4
  • 1988: 11
  • 1989: 9
  • 1990: 9
  • 1991: 12
  • 1992: 9
  • 1993: 13
  • 1994: 11
  • 1995: 11
  • 1996: 16
  • 1997: 18
  • 1998: 30
  • 1999: 29
  • 2000: 22
  • 2001: 16
  • 2002: 14
  • 2003: 16
  • 2004: 20
  • 2005: 14
  • 2006: 7
  • 2007: 5
  • 2008: 4
  • 2009: 3
  • 2010: 5
  • 2011: 4
  • 2012: 3
  • 2013: 4
  • 2014: 1
  • 2015: 1

Discuss

Guest babatundestacks

Even though it's having one of it's best years for ages?

COOL.

I thought we already established that drake,young thug and fetty wap are not hip hop artists so yes hip hop is dead

what times wasnt the internet around?

It wasn't adopted and utilised effectively by hiphop until the last few years

I'm talking digital channels other than just buying songs/mixtapes

The customer journey of a rap fan has changed with social media, youtube and other channels that aid awareness of concerts, merchandise and many more.

Means less of a dependency on albums.

You can drop a mixtape, do some shows, sell some tops.

More ways eat.

People buy less music. It's only now artists and labels imo have found other ways to effectively eat off on the digital transformation in rap

Guest babatundestacks

do album sales really determine that though @babatunde

To an extent.

/

Bane is right.

One thing i have always said is that the reason  why hip  hop is dead is mainly because of youtube.

Back in the day you had to have talent to get a record deal because labels werent gonna invest their hard earned money in you if you were shit.

Youtube allowed people that probably wouldn't have had a chance in hell of getting exposure in the 90s and quite frankly were never supposed to be rappers to get a following and getting their music out there

Fetty wap,chief keef,young thug, etc.

It has also allowed the game to get over saturated.

The games moving too fast 

Guest babatundestacks

Even though it's having one of it's best years for ages?

COOL.

I thought we already established that drake,young thug and fetty wap are not hip hop artists so yes hip hop is dead

What genre do they make then?

Ratchet r&b

co-sign the internet playing a major part. 

I also think the average lifespan of an album now is roughly 2-3 weeks. Yes the market is saturated, but its with the good and the bad.

I think this very fickle hip hop fan base is now constantly seeking new content/Artist more than ever before. 

what times wasnt the internet around?

It wasn't adopted and utilised effectively by hiphop until the last few years

I'm talking digital channels other than just buying songs/mixtapes

The customer journey of a rap fan has changed with social media, youtube and other channels that aid awareness of concerts, merchandise and many more.

Means less of a dependency on albums.

You can drop a mixtape, do some shows, sell some tops.

More ways eat.

People buy less music. It's only now artists and labels imo have found other ways to effectively eat off on the digital transformation in rap

Plus, YouTube launched 05, if you look at the numbers they fall after that.

That's around the time downloading got included in the charts, and you don't have to download a whole album, whereas before if you wanted track 8 that wasn't a single you needed the album.

And labels started 360 deals so less focus on albums, less marketing spent on spinning 3 singles for 4 months before the album drops. Now Beyonce can just drop the album and everyone knows cause internet, so why are they gonna spend P on a new artists album, get him online hype