Your circle

connorwickham

As i'm moving through my twenties I've noticed that my circles changing. Is it an age thing or am I selling out? 

I still roll with the niggaz from day to buss FIFA and chat bout beanies and ting but think I enjoy the company of the work crowd and college buddies more in all honesty.

Is this normal?

Common ground elicits camaraderie. If the people you work with you have more in common with (you spend 8 hours a day with them every day), then its normal that you will feel more comfortable around them. As for the wider circle of long time friends, I've always found that unless your paths move in similar directions, its a strain to maintain the relationship at a level it may have once been. Have drifted from several guys because they're still on road risking their freedom for bottles at the weekend. Whereas the others in my circle are out here buying houses, getting promotions, presenting tv shows and getting signed. If your goals are aligned regardless of nuance you'll stick, and if not, alot of the time its best for all parties that you keep contact to a minimum. No point forcing it anyway.

Think this rings true regardless of the age.

- think there may already be a thread on this topic.

• Upvote 7

As i'm moving through my twenties I've noticed that my circles changing. Is it an age thing or am I selling out? 

I still roll with the niggaz from day to buss FIFA and chat bout beanies and ting but think I enjoy the company of the work crowd and college buddies more in all honesty.

Is this normal?

Common ground elicits camaraderie. If the people you work with you have more in common with (you spend 8 hours a day with them every day), then its normal that you will feel more comfortable around them. As for the wider circle of long time friends, I've always found that unless your paths move in similar directions, its a strain to maintain the relationship at a level it may have once been. Have drifted from several guys because they're still on road risking their freedom for bottles at the weekend. Whereas the others in my circle are out here buying houses, getting promotions, presenting tv shows and getting signed. If your goals are aligned regardless of nuance you'll stick, and if not, alot of the time its best for all parties that you keep contact to a minimum. No point forcing it anyway.

Think this rings true regardless of the age.

- think there may already be a thread on this topic.

Yeah makes sense. Big post.

I would disagree wholeheartedly

No point surrounding myself with people that think like me, might as well be on my own.

My "circle" hasn't changed the past 5 years.

Nice to have people around that have a different perspective on things

/

This building has no loyalty to me and I don't fuck with these work niggas we are not friends

I find partners an children to be the biggest MF game changer

The way people have changed because of a partner is frankly upsettin

And children - people's priorities change, the conversation changes. My life changes even tho i didn't sign up to it

If u.invite a parent somewhere an they get a baby sitter u better make sure that thing happens

In terms of goals in life. Everyone is movin forward jus at different paces an on different paths

I dont have anyone around me who isnt like me in some regard

I would disagree wholeheartedly

No point surrounding myself with people that think like me, might as well be on my own.

My "circle" hasn't changed the past 5 years.

Nice to have people around that have a different perspective on things

/

This building has no loyalty to me and I don't f*ck with these work niggas we are not friends

I hear you - but having the same goals doesn't mean you necessarily have the same way of thinking. Same destination different routes, but the destination has to be the same. Can't be in circles with Kwame looking for that Warwick MBA and fast track to the c-suite, while Jimmy is still sending broadcasts about having just got the neckle in, bone dry. 

• Upvote 1

My circle hasn't changed but I do think they all need to grow up. I'm 26 now with a mortgage etc. They are 28 and still living with their mum, going out every weekend.

See life is crazy for me cause all of my boys are mortgaged with a long term gf and I wish there was someone on just going out every weekend

The way people have changed because of a partner is frankly upsettin

It is. The way my friend changed over a bit of cheddar saddens me.

When i say change. Like a my friend is playing host to someone elses personality

Like the girl is operatin by proxy through my friend

A man will say somethin or act in a certain way an its like who are you? Who am i speakin to right now?

Changed mans principles. Its group think but in pairs

• Downvote 1

I have made a few friends at work ill speak to and see outside of work occasionally.

But my preferred circle are my friends from school. We are similar in the sense we're all very determined to achieve in one way or the other.

Having a child has definitely changed my relationship with some people...less opportunity for spontaneous meet ups etc. But no animosity to my knowledge.

100% of my core friends in London have completely different careers than mine, i.e. they're all "creatives". It works but I can see the cracks appearing when certain conversations come up.

And children -  the conversation changes.

Already see this with cousins. I don't envisage having kids till mid 30s so I hope there are females in my circles in the same position.

Dont have a work circle and wouldn't want one in my current establishment.

Ive got the same core circle from school of 5/6 with a few adjustment and deductions now and again. Then theres a broad selection of dons who can transfer in and out depending on the occasion.

got my close friends i grew up with circle (dont see these guys a lot but dont have to everyone knows the deal) straight fluidity when we back together, these are the man i ring like yo i need help moving this sofa up to my flat

got my uni circle, these are the guys that i travel the world with and prob spend the most time with, none of us have anything in common music wise, background or culture wise just a group of man that are comfy with each other having to share a single bed cos next mans beating in the other room (n/h) 

my football guys snm

then you got little other off shoots that i try make myself the guy thats a fill in cos they cool but im not really as comfy with them as in the other groups, you know them ones where you split the bill and someone gets a calculator out rather then someone saying i got this and everyone just taking turns to cover when they can

had some mad circles before tho when i was a bit younger, defo glad i left them or they broke up but as individuals most of them were cool

dont talk to my school pals anymore though, f*cking snide cunts

I don't talk to a single soul from my school anymore. Interests were already diverging in 6th form. I had some girl few months back in shock and implying I had done something for everyone to turn their back on me :lol: She's still at uni though with small very closed off circles, so she doesn't know this happens.

I struggled in the last 2 years living out of UK in terms of having a stable group of mates to fall back on. Circles were constantly changing, people coming in and out, and there were only a couple of people I really enjoyed hanging out with. I'm still mid-20s so my network still remains wide which I like, but I can see it narrowing with age.