Living in london

Kim

What are the best things

I can do almost nothing, spend almost no money, but still find something to do/see, almost any time of the day

Like ?

I'm an avid instagrammer / snapchatter / (loose)vlogger, so I often head for walks / jogs around Tower bridge and other quintessential tourist sites for people watching / sunset shots etc... 

Obvs this is better in summer, but sometimes we head down there with a back pack filled with cocktail ingredients / zoots / balloons etc 

• Upvote 1

soz but summer time here we have our own spot, nice little river to jump into like a 30 min walk frm yard, can chill there all day even camp as we did as kids, also got our own bmx trails my freinds made in a forest that only a few kno about could never be bored here so much walking and things to discover....

London is loads of villages connected up

Where as everywhere else is just city center and outskirts, thats deadout unless your on a weekender

• Upvote 2

London is loads of villages connected up

Where as everywhere else is just city center and outskirts, thats deadout unless your on a weekender

the majority of uk's cities are overgrown interconnected villages, now becoming overgrown interconnected cities

same with most of economically successful europe

your making things up again

living in the uk is wack either way

I can't lie my experience of London is so fragmented. I grew up in the South East of London and thought it was amazing as a child. So much to do, so many other Nigerians. Then we moved to Newham, and I spent the latter years of secondary school in tussles with either Barking, or P*ki Panthers coming around and stabbing kids in the head after school. Then we moved to Essex, and I started my career - working in London. London as an adult experience, with the money to afford it, is almost second to none. But thats a fallacy and in no way represents what its like to live there day to day.

C/S the hipsters ruining everything though. What's left when the culture in an area is just a passing phase.

Paki Panther and Tamil Tigers were the boogiemen of my high school life.

Swear every month there was a story of one of them turning to a random school in ilford or whatever and doing a madness.

There was also a time people were afraid PDC were gonna turn up after school and convert everyone to Islam and beat up those who don't convert

I can't lie my experience of London is so fragmented. I grew up in the South East of London and thought it was amazing as a child. So much to do, so many other Nigerians. Then we moved to Newham, and I spent the latter years of secondary school in tussles with either Barking, or P*ki Panthers coming around and stabbing kids in the head after school. Then we moved to Essex, and I started my career - working in London. London as an adult experience, with the money to afford it, is almost second to none. But thats a fallacy and in no way represents what its like to live there day to day.

C/S the hipsters ruining everything though. What's left when the culture in an area is just a passing phase.

There was also a time people were afraid PDC were gonna turn up after school and convert everyone to Islam and beat up those who don't convert

Pmfsl

Sounds like something jaja would advocate

What are the best things

I can do almost nothing, spend almost no money, but still find something to do/see, almost any time of the day

Like ?

I'm an avid instagrammer / snapchatter / (loose)vlogger, so I often head for walks / jogs around Tower bridge and other quintessential tourist sites for people watching / sunset shots etc... 

Obvs this is better in summer, but sometimes we head down there with a back pack filled with cocktail ingredients / zoots / balloons etc 

Tower bridge and most of the thames is great, i love it at night with the lights, and i actually prefer the tourists to hipsters.

Ive actually become a lot fonder of london since i came back from a bit of time in dubai, i appreciate the history and architecture now which i never did growing up. Grown up in hackney and islington and east i never really took notice, now i take walks around east end, ignore these idiot hipsters and just look around at buildings imaging how they were 200 years ago, jack the ripper times, when they were slums, when they were slave owners town houses etc. Some great buildings and little alley ways through the city as well.

I need to take up london history as a hobby. I could easily spend a day off walking around places then finding somewhere nice to eat.

• Upvote 9

compared to when I lived out of london:

shops everywhere rather than being all concentrated in some "town centre" or "city centre" in a next place 

late opening - lived somewhere where everything started closing at 5 and didn't open on sundays

but the main thing that brought me back is being closer to everyone, living miles away isolated had its perks, no longer need that life. 

late running public transport

frequent public transport (not about that once every half an hour bus)

What are the best things

Like ?

Tower bridge and most of the thames is great, i love it at night with the lights, and i actually prefer the tourists to hipsters.

Ive actually become a lot fonder of london since i came back from a bit of time in dubai, i appreciate the history and architecture now which i never did growing up. Grown up in hackney and islington and east i never really took notice, now i take walks around east end, ignore these idiot hipsters and just look around at buildings imaging how they were 200 years ago, jack the ripper times, when they were slums, when they were slave owners town houses etc. Some great buildings and little alley ways through the city as well.

I need to take up london history as a hobby. I could easily spend a day off walking around places then finding somewhere nice to eat.

This!!!

Being part of an expat community away from here generated alot of fresh perspective for me

Until one of my hipster friends told me....I didn't even know (or care) that there was a pub that Jack the Ripper frequented.

Went there when i got back and the history & atmosphere of the place just grabs you