Oscars 2016

User

Gambino why do you look at these kinda issues in the most simplistic way. Not every issue is how it appears on the surface smh.

Same way others try look into things that are potentially not there FA. Like Jada making out the Academy are all racist or subconsciously prejudice just because her man didn't get nominated for an Oscar.

Like I understand what people are saying. BET was set up because as a community they feel they were not being recognized. Fair enough, at the same time it is simple enough to say well if it's ok for that to happen can we not do the same thing without being called racists? Are we out here for one rule for all and equality or not.

Bearing in mind I am sure a lot of the African American community will be watching the Oscars still and don't give a damn for the tripe others are spitting.

• Downvote 1

If you truly understand it then you wouldn't be trying to use that counter argument as it makes no sense.

White people in the media are recognised, you're not under represented in mainstream media, so why exactly would you need an award show that exclusively cater for you? The situations aren't the same which is why that argument is a non starter.

BET was started not only for recognition but to allow black people to empower themselves. Why do white people need empowering when you're the ones holding overwhelming control of mainstream media?

Lol what exactly would be on a white only channel by the way, interested to hear that? Pretty sure it would just be hand picked shows that are already shown now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Plenty of Black people are recognized too....... It's just that on the odd year you haven't done anything special to warrant that recognition suddenly the world is against you again......... Recycles itself. I've yet to hear a single answer on here from anyone explaining to me why Black actors have won the highest honors one year and chosen by the same anti black neo nazi subconsciously prejudice Academy members who have supposedly purpose done you out of everything this year.

What if White people simply wanted their own award show? No other reason than wanted it? Then what........... ? I dunno what the white channel would be, pretty much anything white made I guess. Like Game of Thrones etc, wouldn't stop you watching it but let's just throw White in the name. Same way it don't stop white people watching BET... 

White people dont boycott basketball because there aren't enough white players, an aspiring white college student may think his chances are lower for the NBA because he's white.. He could play the race card but at the end of the day if he's an undeniable talent he will get to the NBA the same way denzel and other black people got to the oscars.. If anything it's just an even bigger achievement..

I'm pro black and would understand people's points if there were some undeniable black movies/actors out but there hasn't been, actors like Tom hardy are the first in my mind when I think of great acting performances over the last couple years .. And I go back to my point about Leonardo dicaprio, name me 1 black actor who deserves an Oscar more than him in the last couple years.. Definitely not will smith.. Some people are soo desperate for acceptance, you've made millions, tonnes of positive feedback from your fans but because 1 award show doesn't rate your film above someone else's suddenly it's worth making a fool out of yourself for, people saying they're boycotting the oscars who wernt even invited anyway.. too much salt

And that link at the top of the page... Is the president of the oscars a black woman? ?

• Upvote 1

Plenty of Black people are recognized too....... It's just that on the odd year you haven't done anything special to warrant that recognition suddenly the world is against you again......... Recycles itself. I've yet to hear a single answer on here from anyone explaining to me why Black actors have won the highest honors one year and chosen by the same anti black neo nazi subconsciously prejudice Academy members who have supposedly purpose done you out of everything this year.

What if White people simply wanted their own award show? No other reason than wanted it? Then what........... ? I dunno what the white channel would be, pretty much anything white made I guess. Like Game of Thrones etc, wouldn't stop you watching it but let's just throw White in the name. Same way it don't stop white people watching BET... 

Did you answer me when I asked you if America having a black president means racial inequality, discrimination and prejudice have disappeared? When it appears race relations in america are probably at one of their lowest. Not that this is the case with the oscars, but using a few winners is almost equal to using the " i can't be racists i have black friends' argument.

No one here has actually said the awards are racist (i don't think?), but people have tried to educate you on various topics as to why some people in america making up noise may feel that way inclined. The fact that there are certain white actors riding for it aswell probably does worth warranting abit more of an open mind on the subject. We both don't live in Amercia and I'm sure the people there have a much better feel than anyone on this forum does.

The whole white channel/award things isn't the reality though, there's no demand for it for a reason... Discuss the world we live in today, not the one to try and balance out your argument

I don't really have an opinion of boycotting either way. If anything I completely agree with Cube when he said too much energy has been wasted on such a trivial matter.

I particularly think there are some white actors that have completely been shafted way before any of the black candidates should be mentioned.

But i will try and see both sides of the argument because I'm not narrow minded.

that's what I'm saying though, it's not race related.. There are white actors not nominated that deserve it more than the 1s nominated.. Surely that alone shows its non racial and based just off preference of whoever judges it..

Take all the black actors.. Now take out comedians because that's not apart of the oscars, now take off hood movies that the majority can't relate to, now take out stereotypical roles which are pretty easy to play thus not an Oscar award winning performance..

How many have you got left.. Not many.

If anything the problem starts with Hollywood not casting black actors for those academy award winning films they would be good in but as far as the oscars goes, with soo few to choose from it's a statistical probability that some years no black actors will be nominated

• Upvote 1

Sorry didn't clock your question about the President. Nope I don't think Obama has changed shit. I think African Americans had gassed themselves into believing he was the second coming of Christ and expected him to turn their whole lives around which was never gonna happen. Most I spoke to only voted for him based on his skin colour and didn't care what his policies were. I guess if anything it just shown that White America was willing to vote a Black American into power so the majority of USA don't have an issue with race.... Racism itself IMO will always exist. Because some adults just won't allow their children to integrate and live with each other without brainwashing them. A female A A friend of mine is constantly telling me how her Mum and Brother piss her off telling her don't trust those White people, stop hanging around with Skanky white people etc etc, but her Mum sent her to some mainly white school to be educated so she loves white people and doesn't agree with them. Will be the same for all other ethnic groups and some families too.

Mark Ruffalo was one of the people championing the boycott, bear in mind he actually said he will still be attending it. He said it's grouped with BlackLivesMatter because I guess black guys being shot dead by police officers is as bad as Will Smith not being up for an Oscar.

The White channel thing for me isn't needed. I just wanna see or know whether it can be done without people screaming racism. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you have any issues with award shows solely based on black entertainment or music?

I have an issue with Macklemore having more Grammy's than Hendrix, Biggie, 2pac, Nas and Bob Marley combined and the clueless people that thought his album was better than Kendrick's album.

I don't have an issue when someone like Timberlake drops a classic and collects a bunch of mainstream awards but when the industry tries to push average artists like Macklemore, Miley Cyrus and Iggy to the forefront of these mainstream award shows I don't have an issue with a minority race having their own awards shows where they can get a chance to shine and be rewarded for their hardwork.

At the Mobos Stormzy won the best grime act. At the Brits he was an unadvertised backup dancer that couldn't win a grime award at that show because it didn't exist.

Yes!

/

white privilege. Even Macklemore admitted he has been given his fair share

Again that is going to boil down to people not agreeing with you. Personally I think Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson are the 2 greatest singers/entertainers of all time. None of them are in the Top 20 list of Grammys winners......... Kanye West is and I think he is absolute garbage. Quincy Jones has the thirst most Grammys - White Priviledge for him? Stevie Wonder is at Number 7.

I don't have any opinion on Mackelmore.. Don't listen to his music, don't know much about him. 

A lot of things have been said about Elvis. A sizeable proportion of Black America still believe the fairytales about him being racist. He grew up around Black people and unlike a lot during his time he didn't give a shit about race and listened to and adopted their vibes and style in music. He then became great at it, blew up as an Artist with White and Black fans... He also had a lot of White America against him because they didn't like his Rock music and the way he danced on stage thinking it corrupted the country and their children. He aknowledged the people who inspired him, he was loved by all the black artist of the time, James Brown even sat in gracelands alone by his coffin all night when he died. BUT STILL it's much simpler for A A to keep gassing their kids about how racist he was meant to be.

Do you have any issues with award shows solely based on black entertainment or music?

I have an issue with Macklemore having more Grammy's than Hendrix, Biggie, 2pac, Nas and Bob Marley combined and the clueless people that thought his album was better than Kendrick's album.

I don't have an issue when someone like Timberlake drops a classic and collects a bunch of mainstream awards but when the industry tries to push average artists like Macklemore, Miley Cyrus and Iggy to the forefront of these mainstream award shows I don't have an issue with a minority race having their own awards shows where they can get a chance to shine and be rewarded for their hardwork.

At the Mobos Stormzy won the best grime act. At the Brits he was an unadvertised backup dancer that couldn't win a grime award at that show because it didn't exist.

Yes!

I mean you sound mad that people don't share your opinion or likes Agony. In fact your thinking reminds me of Kanye West. Running up on stage and ruining Taylor Swifts moment just because Beyonce didn't win, and then going on a rant about 'REAL ARTIST; When the multi instrument playing Beck won an award. Not everyone is going to agree with you. I don't listen to Macklemore, I'd rather Pac etc had more awards than him because I'm a fan of them, am I mad that they don't know? Hell no. Not everyone likes the same music as me, or watches the same TV shows or Movies.

As for minorities having their own award shows, that is fine as long as White people can have White titled shows aimed solely at them and nobody complain or throw racism about.

Loool

Pure gahbage

• Upvote 2

Sorry didn't clock your question about the President. Nope I don't think Obama has changed shit. I think African Americans had gassed themselves into believing he was the second coming of Christ and expected him to turn their whole lives around which was never gonna happen. Most I spoke to only voted for him based on his skin colour and didn't care what his policies were. I guess if anything it just shown that White America was willing to vote a Black American into power so the majority of USA don't have an issue with race.... Racism itself IMO will always exist. Because some adults just won't allow their children to integrate and live with each other without brainwashing them. A female A A friend of mine is constantly telling me how her Mum and Brother piss her off telling her don't trust those White people, stop hanging around with Skanky white people etc etc, but her Mum sent her to some mainly white school to be educated so she loves white people and doesn't agree with them. Will be the same for all other ethnic groups and some families too.

Mark Ruffalo was one of the people championing the boycott, bear in mind he actually said he will still be attending it. He said it's grouped with BlackLivesMatter because I guess black guys being shot dead by police officers is as bad as Will Smith not being up for an Oscar.

The White channel thing for me isn't needed. I just wanna see or know whether it can be done without people screaming racism. 

So just because a black person became president is doesn't mean anything changed, to play the devils advocate you could apply that to black nominees winning oscars. That being said nobody has said it's racism, more unconscious bias imo. I think it's been quite a tame oscar year, don't think there's been overall big performances from that many people if anything. But when you have an overly white american judging panel over 50, looking at 10 films, no one really standout, 1 or 2 black actors, and you have to nominate 5 people, you can see how some people can come to such conclusions, if a category was so close how does that go down, how do people nominate then?

I can't even lie maybe I would vote a brother over a white guy If I couldn't find a real difference, who knows. But that's why I think it probably is a good move to maybe make the panel more diverse, not just black, but latino and asian too.

Blacks in UK and America grow up in white culture to begin with, so yours becomes ours too. We also have our own culture too, african, Caribbean etc which you can't be born into.. Like I said what kinda shows would be on a white tv station, they would be shows I have seen and knew since I was a child. BET was created to give black people empowerment, showcase our culture, things that wouldn't have got onto mainstream television. It wasn't a segregation act for the sake of segregation. I'm sure black americans felt like they weren't getting a chance from mainstream media so did their own thing. Same way how channel u came about because the mainstream corporations that owned the BOX and MTV weren't giving them a platform.

white people have a platform, and segregation for segregation sake would be racist, and that's what a white channel in the UK or America would be paramount to.

• Upvote 2

I'm not entirely sure what your point was regarding Obama and his presidency vs someone winning an Oscar. My point is that the same guys who are supposedly prejudice voted for these black actors to win in the past........ Are you saying you believe the majority of White people as a whole are also prejudice but voted in Obama still???

Yea you do grow up with white culture, and nobody says nothing about you for doing that besides maybe black people who might call you a bounty or coconut or sell out which happens. Then reverse that to a White person who decides they love black culture and want to rap etc, they get hated on by some of the black community, stealing our shit etc etc. I love hearing Iggy get hated on by Black artists who say she steals their culture whilst their stood in their rap videos rocking their white designed clothing lines and stood around their white or asian built and designed cars, sporting their white designed and made Jewellery.

I think gradually people would move forward and not care about race if we allowed them too...... But things like "Oh my man didn't get an Oscar, shout out to all black people these racist whites are against our skin colour" isn't really cutting out for me...... Just annoys me as a white person that I have to see such bullshit all the time, same way these Academy Members are having to come out and defend themselves for something they say they haven't done just because this womans bitter.

I'm not entirely sure what your point was regarding Obama and his presidency vs someone winning an Oscar. My point is that the same guys who are supposedly prejudice voted for these black actors to win in the past........ Are you saying you believe the majority of White people as a whole are also prejudice but voted in Obama still???

Yea you do grow up with white culture, and nobody says nothing about you for doing that besides maybe black people who might call you a bounty or coconut or sell out which happens. Then reverse that to a White person who decides they love black culture and want to rap etc, they get hated on by some of the black community, stealing our shit etc etc. I love hearing Iggy get hated on by Black artists who say she steals their culture whilst their stood in their rap videos rocking their white designed clothing lines and stood around their white or asian built and designed cars, sporting their white designed and made Jewellery.

I think gradually people would move forward and not care about race if we allowed them too...... But things like "Oh my man didn't get an Oscar, shout out to all black people these racist whites are against our skin colour" isn't really cutting out for me...... Just annoys me as a white person that I have to see such bullshit all the time, same way these Academy Members are having to come out and defend themselves for something they say they haven't done just because this womans bitter.

My point was America electing a black president doesn't mean there still aren't massive racial issues present. It never meant that when he was elected and it won't mean that long after he's gone. An body/organization can still discriminate despite there being elected ethnic minorities within it's organisation. I don't believe the oscars are racist but that has nothing to do with the fact they gave Denzel, Whittaker and Foxx one.

If anything what's been shown is that for a body that represents the biggest film industry in the world, they could look at improving it's representation.. As an organizations that represents many races and creeds they probably should've been more proactive before it came to this.

The issue with what your mentioning goes back to why black people branched out to begin with. RnB, Rap whatever, it was what we created as we weren't given a platform to express ourselves. I think what a lot of people get angry about is when white artists like Iggy ride the coat tails of something they don't respect, understand or even know where it's came from. If something isn't yours then you should respect it more.

Race is and isn't important but overall people just need to be able to understand each other better, this thread is a prime example.

Maybe because ethics + non racist people outweigh racist people in America so Obama was able to get enough votes to become president.. Doesn't mean anything was likely to change.. Bad comparison IMO

You're acting like 1 token black has won an Oscar in previous years.. We're talking multiple black people getting the highest honours.. And many would agree that as time has gone on the world has got less racist, so why would there be a sudden change of preference, you may have an arguement if there has been a new panel of judges in the past 2 years but if that's not the case I don't really see it tbh

Dunno what your point is about iggy, if it's because she's shit or because she's white in a black genre but if that was the case then we would never of experienced 1 of the greatest whites to ever touch the mic (Eminem)

Heero Jada is calling on a Boycott of the Oscars with the opinion that it's prejudice/racist towards Black Actors with her basically pointing the finger at white people because they make up the majority. There is no evidence to support it besides her opinion that because no Black actor has been nominated this year then they must be. She cannot even contemplate the fact that Black actors may just not have been good enough in their roles this year, she is obviously of the opinion that no matter how good or poor a performance is by her ethnicity, they must be in the nominations to make things fair. That isn't how it should be at all.

And you are talking about a country that is by large majority White, so a Black President and Black Actors winning Oscars surely tells you that the majority of the people are not prejudice. Of course some people out there are, but not the majority.

And Iggy is just making music she likes. She's no Vidal Castro trying to battle peoples causes.

You mean an overwhelming majority of non white turn out and they voted for obama.

Both two elections have seen a low white turn out compared to pre Obama era.

Yea that is something I have to correct myself on as well actually I was saying majority white voted for Obama but checked the stats and that ain't true, but then that doesn't mean those that didn't vote Democrat were prejudice. So the point could still stand.