Is Stormzy a Industry Plant?

Niall Ferguson

6 hours ago, Flat Eric said:

Plant or not plant is irrelevant 

The music is excellent

He's done very well and deserves credit

Not like they've planted some dead mc and are forcing us to feel him. He's just had a good marketing team behind him and you can't be mad at that. Better than being a soundcloud rapper 

Serious irony here 

/

Album is bang average and very overrated

Not being forced to like this sorry 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, FA23 said:

It's true tbh, that's why everyone of his grime tracks are so cliched. He's never had to compete with a next mc on a set and up the level of bars so he just writes the same imaginary war bars and lyrics about haters for every single grime beat. 

He did alot of rap records back in the day from the look of things 

http://grmdaily.com/7-stormzy-videos-you-will-not-have-seen

Which all had like 300 views until the adidas marketing team came up with fire in the park

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Afroman said:

He did alot of rap records back in the day from the look of things 

http://grmdaily.com/7-stormzy-videos-you-will-not-have-seen

How are people mad this young man is getting shouted out by Adele and getting a number 1 album ffs 

Good on the kid. He's not my favourite mc by a long shot, but he's got people googling and youtubing grime 

How many other mcs have the professionalism and articulation to he doing grime and playing the pr game? 

• Upvote 1

That's the misconception I keep seeing spouted about don. Nobody is checking for a Jammz, Merky Ace, Capo Lee, Big Zuu etc off the back off Stormzy's success. Grime in general isn't getting anymore shine then it was before. Not to say that it can't in the future but that's yet to be proven.  

His fans loyalties lie with him not Grime. I certain most of his fans probably aren't touching an eskimo dance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TTK said:

No one said it's his job, he has no responsibility to do any of that. I'm taking about this "It's good for grime" talk that gets thrown around when he does well, when in reality most of his fans are checking for Stormzy not grime. 

I work with a lot of people who have discovered other grime artists through Stormzy as an entry point 

What are you basing your assumptions on? 

Also keep seeing points about his imaginary beef, I guess people see it as more entertaining. Rather than these rappers who talk about "I'm gonna ching these niggas" etc. Why would the white buying population want to be heard overtly playing and singing along to music like that which is centered around extreme violence, degrading women and glamourising both that and drug abuse? 

You think Adidas legal, pr or finance teams would ever let them sponsor these artists who are in and out of prison and making music like the above? Ie a 67 etc 

Plus if it was that easy why are Krept and Konan (Puma) nowhere near Stormzy (Adidas)? 

Fair enough.

Just my own observations. I've seen more people say they don't fuck with grime but they fuck with Stormzy than say than say Stormzy has gotten them into Grime. It might seem like grime has got more shine as it's being talked about in publications/blogs more but it's really based around the same 4/5 guys if that.  

There was no frenzy when Wiley or even more recently Devlin dropped. You put together around 20 grime MC's views and they probably still aren't touching what he gets on 1 vid.

1 hour ago, Afroman said:

You cant just compare like for like views in this current climate though. The target demographic on each video could vary based on assisted online marketing campaigns

This 

There's a reason he's getting 10 or so million views on his own channel vs much less on other channels 

YouTube view only needs to be 30 seconds irrc. No telling a) how much paid traffic he gets and B) how long that paid traffic stays on the video for after the 30 sec mark