UK/London Street Style of Yesteryear

Elementalism

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't be surprised to see people bringing these clothes back. This seems to be the new trend with the youth nowadays, wearing old looking clothes etc, 90s drops. Or maybe am just out of the loop & can't keep up with the fashion trend.

It just looks contrived to me, I reckon by the end of the year I'll see people rockin fubu & shit.

I'm already seeing windbreaker jackets from the 90s being worn. What the fuck is up with this??

Wouldn't be surprised to see people bringing these clothes back. This seems to be the new trend with the youth nowadays, wearing old looking clothes etc, 90s drops. Or maybe am just out of the loop & can't keep up with the fashion trend.

It just looks contrived to me, I reckon by the end of the year I'll see people rockin fubu & sh*t.

I'm already seeing windbreaker jackets from the 90s being worn. What the f*ck is up with this??

fashion repeats itself

hightops being one example

• 11 months later...
40 minutes ago, dub said:

a lot of uncomfortable looking people though nah?

I feel like people these days have learnt more how to enjoy themselves

Nah 

People watch face alot more these days, especially in certain parts of carnival and sadly certain clubs which have a certain disproportionate demographic in attendance playing hip hop 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Reposted @Restrictive's link, wicked footage.

Missed this exhibition at the V&A, but they've got some nice collections:

2006AT2852_jpg_l.jpg

These Bally leather shoes formed part of an outfit put together for the exhibition Streetstyle, From Sidewalk to Catwalk, 1940 to Tomorrow held at the V&A in 1994-5. The complete outfit consisted of a black Kangol hat; a Gabicci wool cardigan with suede trim (Italy); a silk shirt; a gold necklace with a Neferetti head pendant; crimplene Farah trousers and these shoes. The outfit reflected a ‘yardie’ style of dress worn by some British men in the early 1980s.

The term ‘yardie’ derives from the slang name given to occupants of government yards in Trenchtown, a neighbourhood in West Kingston, Jamaica. Trenchtown was originally built as a housing project following devastation caused by Hurricane Charlie in 1951. The poverty and crime experienced by many residents led to them becoming known as ‘yardies’, a stigma which yardie style sought to challenge.

Emigration in the 1960s brought yardie style to the UK where it grew increasingly label conscious. Desirable and much worn items include Farah trousers, Gabicci cardigans (‘Yardie cardies’), and shoes by Bally and Pierre Cardin. Jewellery was central to the style, and thick gold rope chains with Neferetti heads, cannabis leaves, onyx medallions and sovereigns were favourite pieces.

2006AT2850_jpg_l.jpg

These beige cotton twill trousers formed part of an outfit put together by Derek Falconer of Crazy Clothes for the exhibition Streetstyle, From Sidewalk to Catwalk, 1940 to Tomorrow held at the V&A in 1994-5. The complete outfit consisted of a black wool hat, a khaki cotton shirt, a string vest, the trousers and leather shoes. It reflected a style of ‘yardie’ dress worn by some Jamaican men in the 1980s.

The term ‘yardie’ derives from the slang name given to occupants of government yards in Trenchtown, a neighbourhood in West Kingston, Jamaica. Trenchtown was originally built as a housing project following devastation caused by Hurricane Charlie in 1951. Due to the poverty endemic in the neighborhood, crime and gang violence became rife, leading the occupants of Trenchtown to be in part stigmatized by the term ‘yardie’. The military style of this outfit reflects the time spent by some Jamaican men doing military service in Castro’s Cuba.

2006AT2849_jpg_l.jpg

This cardigan formed part of an outfit displayed in the exhibition Streetstyle, From Sidewalk to Catwalk, 1940 to Tomorrow held at the V&A in 1994-5. Created by the “Duffer” of St George for the autumn/winter season of 1993, the complete outfit consisted of this black, red and white ‘yardie cardie’, a printed cotton jersey t-shirt, worsted trousers and suede boots.

“The influence [for this outfit] came from the late 1960s/early 1970s reggae/yardie scene but also had many other stylistic references, i.e. early sixties Italian Beatnik and, more subtly, late seventies football casual. This in essence was the reason for its success – the multitude of meanings to many different types of people” (The “Duffer” of St George).

2006AT2836_jpg_l.jpg

These jeans formed part of an outfit worn by Danny Edwards and displayed in the exhibition Streetstyle, From Sidewalk to Catwalk, 1940 to Tomorrow held at the V&A in 1994-5. The complete outfit consisted of a white Exhaust denim shirt, these Exhaust denim jeans and Grinders leather boots. The outfit reflected a style of ‘Ragga’ dress worn by some British men in the mid 1980s to mid 1990s..

‘Ragga’ derives from the word ‘Raggamuffin’, originally a derogatory term for delinquent Jamaican youths. Ragga began in the mid-1980s in Jamaican dancehalls before spreading throughout the African diaspora. Denim became an important element of Ragga style, particularly in the form of the distinctive men’s ‘click suit’, made of an intricate patchwork of shredded or stonewashed denim decorated with appliqué or rich brocade. This outfit, which reflects this embellishment of a fabric originally associated with workwear (denim), was worn by Danny Edwards in 1992. He acquired the shirt from his uncle’s shop Stars in Dalston in 1984. The jeans, although made by the same company (Exhaust - a favourite Raggamuffin label), were bought whilst he was in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1992. The boots came from Camden Town in 1993.

This is a pretty dope instagram, they get some nice throwback pics. 
https://www.instagram.com/ruffnecksrudeboysrollups/

Image result for 90s rudeboy style

Related image

IMG-20150515-WA0001_resized

img_2396-01.jpg?w=768

IMG_0587

Some pics from their exhibition, also missed it.

• Like 2

It’s mostly them young yuts dem.. and more it looks horrible and the ankle swingers man would how a cussing for that in school.

all them clothes look trample on them maybe because more time it’s now fresh and I looks all worn and that and some of these prices people for them is some is a madness