Cultural Appropriation

Mame Biram Diouf

Been on the news a lot last 24 hours or so because of Bieber and his new hair style.

African historian on Newsnight just ended some Asian/White chap on the subject

He came with the usual 'but Elvis is the King of Rock and Roll and the inventor of it' and how he added to the culture and took it to another level. Then she came in and ended him saying this is the whole point that when black people do it, its only ever given that higher status when someone white does it.

Host then quickly switched it to 'what about Beyonce being criticised for doing something in Bollywood'. pmsl

Worth a watch when it drops on iPlayer.

White people been rocking dreads for a hot minute. Though, while most of them aren't rasta they are generally on that sort of vibe that rastafarianism promotes (or at least is popular for) - peace and living a relaxed life and so forth.

The Beyonce+Coldplay video didn't seem bad tbh, even my Indian friends were saying that but then the showed me the Major Lazer & DJ Snake - Lean On vid which was pure lols in comparison.

This whole "cultural appropriation" discussion came about from the US with the Native American issues of one the use of the headdress and also like the use of the term "redskins" for the football team. Tbh the latter was definitely an offense, and I can totally support that, but I'm not too sure about most claims of "cultural appropriation".

lol@ black women of all people crying about a white man rocking dreads when 95% of them are glueing becky and Jamsingh's hair to their heads. 

if black women can wear weave, white people can rock dreads.

/

did that man say that Elvis invented rock n roll? or was he just trollin

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VENOM said:

lol@ black women of all people crying about a white man rocking dreads when 95% of them are glueing becky and Jamsingh's hair to their heads. 

if black women can wear weave, white people can rock dreads.

/

did that man say that Elvis invented rock n roll? or was he just trollin

Co sign the weave ting. But they ain't tryna  hear that.  They wet on a frenzy when the Kardashians did plats. So cringe

Surprised this is news, but hey why wouldn't it. People spend more time worrying about lesser important things than the serious stuff.

LoL @ the Elvis comment though. Comedy gold.

• Upvote 3

Find it quite annoying hearing it but it is flavour of the moment for the moaners. The bitching about Jenners hair that time shows that they are only interested in their own history. No mind for the fact Vikings and Celt pagans etc were rocking them trims centuries ago.

As for the Elvis scenario. He didn't start Rock and Roll but as far as I know neither did any black person, was a collection of different people white and black. It's not his problem if he came out and blew all his rivals away as far as quality and popularity, nor more than it is Michaels problem that he did in Pop.

• Downvote 4

4 hours ago, Gambino said:

Find it quite annoying hearing it but it is flavour of the moment for the moaners. The bitching about Jenners hair that time shows that they are only interested in their own history. No mind for the fact Vikings and Celt pagans etc were rocking them trims centuries ago.

As for the Elvis scenario. He didn't start Rock and Roll but as far as I know neither did any black person, was a collection of different people white and black. It's not his problem if he came out and blew all his rivals away as far as quality and popularity, nor more than it is Michaels problem that he did in Pop.

actually black people did start rock n roll, it was actually a black woman Rosetta Tharpe who first came out with that rock n roll "sound" which in itself was an offspring of Gospel..Black Gospel sound.. who is the first known person to start this form of music. black people in american popular music started every genre of music bar classical..which has in turn influenced the same around the world in terms of popular culture. the man who discovered Elvis was tasked to "find a white man who can sing and dance like a nigger".. 

so when these things happen its not the artist perse that is blamed but the people behind the artist and those who ignore the fact that you only see something as trendy when the person looks like you which just perpetuates the inherent white mental illness of racism

but of course.. you will try foolishly to make claims that are false. ignorant c*nt

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gambino said:

lol Guy talks pure smack. I suppose them African Americans invented all them instruments they been using as well aye.

yes.. stringed instruments? earliest ones date to sumeria and Egypt.. i know according to Gods of Egypt and Exodus they look like you do, bu thats another eurocentric appropriation. 

drums.. the modern drumkit was again mainly developed out of new orleans and came out of workings and suggestions of black workers in music theatres on designs (of course they got no credit or real patent of anything)

in any case.. the discussion is not about the invention of an instrument. the piano had been around for hundreds of years before the JAZZ sound..this is talking about the sound which becomes a whole new genre. 

all the main american Genres Blues, Country, Rock n Roll, Rock, Hiphop, RnB, House, which have spurned off sub genres all initiated from black culture and even the sub genres such as rock, the variations in jazz, dance, techno, electro pop, etc initiated from black (direct) influence or invention

• Upvote 2

Might as well just say the architect of the Universe was black and call it a day Venom.... It's quicker. You will no doubt agree with the theory that all Humans came from Africa, which would then kill your whole argument about anyone stealing anyones shit.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gambino said:

Might as well just say the architect of the Universe was black and call it a day Venom.... It's quicker. You will no doubt agree with the theory that all Humans came from Africa, which would then kill your whole argument about anyone stealing anyones shit.

well that is also fact if you ask me.. melanine is the main ingredient for human life in the womb, and in space what we view as black is the beginning of life.

the God according to the bible's son is black as was adam , and all the so called bible greats.. but of course once again all appropriated by eurocentric madmen, some of whom now even occupy those lands and claim they lived there for thousands of years

but as this is just about the heritage of popular music culture in america...lets just stick there. 

• Upvote 1

i am talking about the book you lot use to proclaim how civilised you are. 

Britain is a christian country no? although i know youre only really christian when Abdul says or does something but lets go with the most popular lie the country claims.

your values and modern heritage are all apparently shaped mainly by christianity... so thats the belief majority in the country have chosen to believe in.