Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Young Bape

Executive Production

6 posts in this topic

Do u feel this is an underrated skill? the exec producer chooses which songs make the final cut on the album, chooses the beats, chooses which artists feature, chooses which songs will be the singles, chooses the order of the track list. These jobs may sound easy but many artists struggle to do these things them self. E.g. Nas beat selection is notoriously poor 

Nas having a poor choice of beats has nothing to do with an E.P though

sounds like you're talking about an A&R not exec producer

exec producer is merely like a second opinion for the producer

My bad if i got the two mixed up 

in that case, A&Rs still play a massive role, except they now take on the guise of Manager, Label Boss etc.

this is a fascinating podcast interview with Sickamore (one of the hottest A&Rs in the game atm - YG, Travis Scott etc)

if you ever collected beat tapes and instrumentals bitd, you'll be familiar with hearing the "Sickamore" tag on the beginning of many downloaded instrumentals

through his digging and compiling he became a go to guy for instrumentals during the tail end of the mixtape era

went on to A&R YG's first album, took YG on holiday just to listen to classic Hip Hop albums prior to them recording, that kind of shit

really good listen, get into it

My dad does not play any instruments, write or sing but has his back catalogue on discogs he was executive producer https://www.discogs.com/label/85765-John-Dread-Productions

his role was mainly having the money, bringing the artist to the projects and the final say on everything