The Big Sam Thread

Heero Yuy

Blackburn Rovers have announced that Sam Allardyce has been sacked as part of the 'wider plans' of the club's new owners.

The former Ewood Park manager has surprisingly departed the 13th-placed Premier League side along with assistant Neil McDonald, and first-team coach Steve Kean has filled the void for the 'immediate future'.

There had been rumours about Allardyce'sposition after The Venky's Group, Blackburn's owners, completed a takeover of the one-time Premier League champions on 19th November.

It was reported that the ex-Bolton and Newcastle boss was unhappy that large sums of money would not be made available for transfers in the January market.

Contribution

A statement on Blackburn's official website read: "The Venky's Group, owners of Blackburn Rovers Football Club, has today confirmed the departure of manager Sam Allardyce and assistant manager Neil McDonald with immediate effect.

"First-team coaching duties will be taken on by Steve Kean (currently first-team coach) for the immediate future.

"We have taken this decision as part of our wider plans and ambitions for the club.

"We would like to put on record our thanks to Mr Allardyce for his contribution to Blackburn Rovers Football Club."

Favourite

Allardyce, whose final match in charge was Sunday's 2-1 defeat to North West rivals Bolton, was appointed as Rovers manager in the December of 2008 on a three-year deal after he had left Newcastle at the beginning of that year.

The 56-year-old then went on to help Blackburn to a 15th-placed finish in the top flight in the 2008/09 season, despite criticism of his style of play.

Rovers finished in 10th position in the last campaign, while they also reached the semi-finals of the Carling Cup before suffering an aggregate defeat to Aston Villa.

Allardyce's departure comes just one week after Chris Hughton became the first Premier League manager to leave his job this season after he was surprisingly sacked by Newcastle.

And Hughton has now been installed by bookmakers as the favourite to be named as the new manager of Blackburn.

• Upvote 4

Ridiculous decision.

Deserved the chance to do something with bigger funds, he’s not eloquent enough for the top level of football.

His style might not be aesthetically pleasing, but he's never really had the chance for a prolonged period with bigger resources. Towards the end at Bolton he was doing more than just lumping it, before he outgrew them.

Newcastle was a bad move for him, and just like all managers in this country one bad job and you're seen as a joke.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Did you poor out a little liquor for him yeah anelka?

If it was anybody else I'd have at least a little sympathy but I take my hat off to these man for showing some ambition and looking to employ a manager who's going to build something for the long term.

The quicker NESV do the same to Hodgson the quicker these two can chat about 'all the work they've done for the LMA' and squabble about who's better suited to the England job.

I wud not welcome Big Sam at Arsenal, I dnt thnk hes Arsenal material...

Arsenal suffered an unhappy visit to Ewood Park towards the end of last season, losing 2-1 despite Robin van Persie's early goal.

In fact, Arsenal haven’t won a Premier League game away from home against a side managed by Sam Allardyce since 2002. On that day, goals from Freddie Ljungberg and Sylvan Wiltord gave the Gunners all three points in a 2-0 win at Bolton

We beat them 1-2 at Ewood, so thats 2 wins away to Big Sam in 8 years.. that explains the gooner reactions lol pathetic

He will get the Spam job

I wud not welcome Big Sam at Arsenal, I dnt thnk hes Arsenal material...

Arsenal suffered an unhappy visit to Ewood Park towards the end of last season, losing 2-1 despite Robin van Persie's early goal.

In fact, Arsenal haven’t won a Premier League game away from home against a side managed by Sam Allardyce since 2002. On that day, goals from Freddie Ljungberg and Sylvan Wiltord gave the Gunners all three points in a 2-0 win at Bolton

We beat them 1-2 at Ewood, so thats 2 wins away to Big Sam in 8 years.. that explains the gooner reactions lol pathetic

He will get the Spam job

Or it might have something to do with the comments he makes towards our manager and players...

Like I said we beat Blackburn this season away already and he will have another job within 3 months, so if your right and he goes West Ham, we'd face him again away this season, so if it was results I worried about I'd be making a fail wouldn't I...

Blackburn Rovers' new owners Venky's want the next manager of the club to be British following the sacking of Sam Allardyce.

Allardyce was dismissed on Monday without warning by the Indian consortium who took over in November; a decision that came as a major shock to fans, players and managers alike.

With the club sat in 13th place in the Premier League, few could have predicted the former Bolton boss being handed his P45 with such immediacy.

Venky's have received a backlash from stunned supporters following the dismissal, as well as condemnation from Manchester Unitedmanager Sir Alex Ferguson, who was baffled by the sacking of his close friend.

Chairman Anuradha Desai shed some light on the decision, stating that they wanted Rovers to return to being a top-five club and that Allardyce did not have what it took, nor the entertainment value, to fulfil that ambition.

Mrs Desai however did concede that they wanted to bring in a British manager, but it would be left to temporary boss Steve Kean until a suitable replacement was found.

"We want good football and Blackburn to be fourth or fifth in the league or even better," read the statement.

"The fans should trust us because this is in the best interests of the club.

"It is nothing against Sam but we have a different vision looking forward and we want the club to grow.

"It is not about the Bolton match. It has been a long time in our minds.

"We wanted good football, wanted the games to be interesting and of course wanted to win and to have good players.

"Our thinking now is that it will be a British manager, but we are open if there is an outstanding candidate: someone who would be really, really good for the club.

"Right now Steve Kean will take over while we are looking for someone to take over on a permanent basis."

Diego Maradona has become a strong contender with the bookmakers despite the statement, but there has been no indication as to who is in the running as of yet.

CREASINGGGGG

They saw long ball and just thought nah