Fat People  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame

• The Government
    • The schools
    • The Food Companies
    • Advertising

Who is to blame for child obesity?

Sorry cant pick parents they are blameless according to the media/investigations and various reports.

thought you were trolling, but

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/546588/Childhood_obesity_2016__2__acc.pdf

then again, can't risk telling the electorate they're a bunch of cunts for limiting their children's life chances

8 minutes ago, Wavant said:

& food companies imo. 

Yep, healthy food on average is 3x more expensive than junk food. Supermarket promotions are also much more likely to target junk food over healthy food.

Put into that  it's hard pressed working class families where obesity thrives and it's a melting pot. I'm not taking away emphasis from the parents (because they are still the number 1 reason without doubt), but it's a host of bad factors at work.

Poverty & Parents.

Blaming food companies is the equivalent of blaming cigarette and alcohol companies ?

What about not knowing how to cook ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Heero Yuy said:

Not really because food is a necessity.

/

Never met anyone bar students who say the reason they eat unhealthy is because they don't know how to cook. 

(I mean cook properly not outting fish fingers in the oven)

/

Healthy food is expensive when advertised as healthy...

we are talking obesity here not chubby or a bit of a gut

A big bag of pasta/rice is not expensive at all

this aint the gym topic these guys aint aiming for 6 pacs

its not the food that makes them obese its the fizzy drinks, crisps, microwave meals, chocolates etc....

• Upvote 3

there are defo cheap healthy options, even if they aren't the best, which to me ommits food companies from blame.

I'm gonna be controversial and say the government and the reason is that obesity is clearly a real problem and not enough is done to investigate or treat it.

a drug user who becomes a risk to themselves has more help towards being rehabilitated than someone who over indulges on fatty/sugary food because it's not seen as a real addiction.

I want them to recognise it as an addiction and work on treatment

instead they think the answer is taxing unhealthy food, which just means Your obese people will pay more and still be obese with even less money to buy healthier food 

Anyway...the point of tackling obesity is to actually tackle it, and we should be glad that the government are even going to do anything about it.

The question for this thread realy should be what are we going to do about it. To me, the answer is simple - increase education, stop advertising it so widely, stop placing it in the baitest places in shops etc etc etc

The problem here is the power that these companies have with politicians. 

thinking back on what led me to be a little fat shit... I'd always buy sweets before and after school, school dinners probably weren't great healthy choices, parents would be calm about frozen pizzas and other frozen meals (chips and nuggets and that) - they'd cook proper nice meals and all but it's not like they'd be crazy healthy to balance out the crap I'd have at other times during the week, I'd go park a bit but my exercise level weren't great

a mixture of all I guess? (including parents)

OK Niall, we'll run with Your suggestion

Stop advertising McDonald's. The obese people who eat there already know about it and still eat there

Educate them - they're addicted to it and will still eat it.

It's all well and good helping prevent new cases of obesity but You sound like You're writing off everyone who is already obese as not worth treating? 

9 minutes ago, Lens said:

OK Niall, we'll run with Your suggestion

Stop advertising McDonald's. The obese people who eat there already know about it and still eat there

Educate them - they're addicted to it and will still eat it.

It's all well and good helping prevent new cases of obesity but You sound like You're writing off everyone who is already obese as not worth treating? 

Hold on, the purpose of this whole government strategy is prevention first. 

I'm not sure if there's anything contained within the report talking about helping currently obese people. Even if there is, fuck them (in this topic at least). This is about future strategies.

Existing obese people are in a life threatening condition.

Treating them should be urgent, possibly more urgent than prevention.

7 minutes ago, Lens said:

Existing obese people are in a life threatening condition.

Treating them should be urgent, possibly more urgent than prevention.

But there's already health policy in place for them. This report is about future prevention (as far as I'm aware).

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

(I mean cook properly not outting fish fingers in the oven)

/

Healthy food is expensive when advertised as healthy...

we are talking obesity here not chubby or a bit of a gut

A big bag of pasta/rice is not expensive at all

this aint the gym topic these guys aint aiming for 6 pacs

its not the food that makes them obese its the fizzy drinks, crisps, microwave meals, chocolates etc....

Healthy food is more expensive period, there are numerous studies going back over the last 5 years that show this.

And you're not considering that healthier food is less caloric than the alternative  option. Which means a child has to eat more to satisfy the same hunger and energy levels, which means the parents will have to buy more food.

As much as I enjoy eating healthy I can't deny that I have to eat more than if I was living off, pizza, ready meals, sweets and crips.

Poor people tend to have poor diets, because they buy cheap food, produced for the cheapest price for maximum profit. Burgers, chips and fish fingers can be copped for £2/£3 at some discount frozen food jawns, that's food that could potentially feed a couple kids for up to a week.

I do agree it's a mixture of things that make people obese, but those mixture of things are promoted heavily and sold very cheaply than any healthy alternatives. 

education is another aspect. cooking is a joke subject and nutrition is never touched upon (in my experience)

• Upvote 1