Black Twitter, Black Lives Matter and Black Power

james00

The tweet's caption from Ellen reads "This is how I'm running errands from now on."
Some on Twitter found the image less than golden, with cries of racism and insensitivity in joking about a white woman riding the back of a black man.

This is how I’m running errands from now on. #Rio2016pic.twitter.com/gYPtG9T1ao

@TheEllenShow This is so gross. Fire whoever did this.

@TheEllenShow so the first thing that pops in your head when looking at this pic is "oh let me jump onto his back like he's a common mule"?

imagine a white-man Photoshop himself riding Elaine Thompson 

"@TheEllenShow how I'm running errands from now on. pic.twitter.com/jZMGd48hgk"

— Life of Starry (@StarryToronto) August 16, 2016
But others defended DeGeneres and pointed out that she and Bolt, who has appeared before on her show, are friends.
One person tweeted, "If Usain was white, y'all wouldn't care. We all know Ellen isn't racist & didn't mean any harm by that. Stop it."

If Usain was white, y'all wouldn't care. We all know Ellen isn't racist & didn't mean any harm by that. Stop it ?

Y'all know Damn well Ellen ain't racist but y'all gon act like she is because it's social media and y'all annoying.

I am absolutely baffled by the people currently calling Ellen DeGeneres racist because she, more or less, called an Olympic sprinter fast.

On Tuesday DeGeneres responded to the controversy by tweeting "I am highly aware of the racism that exists in our country. It is the furthest thing from who I am."

I am highly aware of the racism that exists in our country. It is the furthest thing from who I am.

The Ellen Show initially followed the first tweet with one featuring a video of Bolt's appearance on the show where Bolt raced a then 8-year-old viral video star, Demarjay Smith.
Like Bolt, Smith is Jamaican. The youngster acts as a personal trainer for other kids and told the talk show host he believed he could beat the champion in a race.
"Heres something you don't see very often-@UsainBolt losing a race. This was 1 of my favorite moments from last season," Ellen's tweet said.

Heres something you dont see very often-@UsainBolt losing a race. This was 1 of my favorite moments from last seasonhttp://ellen.tv/1NnpkL7 

• dub locked this topic