Supermalt

Learning a trade part time

104 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2017 at 4:59 PM, Mr. Martinez said:

BTW, Anyone else reading this looking improve your javascript skills, here's some stuff that you should be exploring:

• ES6
  • React (Other frameworks include - Vue.js & Angular)
  • Redux
  • Functional Programming
  • TypeScript
  • RxJs
  • Webpack 

I think I got most of this stuff bagged or will have gone through all of this in a month or 2. I should be job ready alie? 

Yea man, if you can put together a nice portfolio site, with examples of the projects you've created using some of the above technologies then you should be able to land yourself a junior role pretty quickly. 

Usually the way the process works at that level is that you're asked to complete a coding challenge. These can vary greatly between companies but for junior roles you're usually asked to create a simple app using the framework they're using (angular/react). Sometimes they want to see how good your JavaScript is, and will just ask you to build a component using vanilla JS. A bonus when you start to interview is that you start to practice even more as you get coding challenges come in. 

Once you start to get to face to face stage, make sure you can confidently work your way through 'front end interview questions and answers' lists. A popular one is:

https://github.com/h5bp/Front-end-Developer-Interview-Questions

If you struggle at any of these steps, don't be scared to get feedback from people on your coding challenges, interview techniques, whatever it may be. There's stackoverflow and code review for the former and meetups in London for the latter. 

Some people choose to go through this whole path by paying/getting sponsored to join a boot camp. That's also an option, and for some people it's the right one. I guess it's upto you to decide what you'd prefer to do. GeneralAssembly is one such boot camp. There's others too. 

Good luck!

7 hours ago, Mr. Martinez said:

Yea man, if you can put together a nice portfolio site, with examples of the projects you've created using some of the above technologies then you should be able to land yourself a junior role pretty quickly. 

Usually the way the process works at that level is that you're asked to complete a coding challenge. These can vary greatly between companies but for junior roles you're usually asked to create a simple app using the framework they're using (angular/react). Sometimes they want to see how good your JavaScript is, and will just ask you to build a component using vanilla JS. A bonus when you start to interview is that you start to practice even more as you get coding challenges come in. 

Once you start to get to face to face stage, make sure you can confidently work your way through 'front end interview questions and answers' lists. A popular one is:

https://github.com/h5bp/Front-end-Developer-Interview-Questions

If you struggle at any of these steps, don't be scared to get feedback from people on your coding challenges, interview techniques, whatever it may be. There's stackoverflow and code review for the former and meetups in London for the latter. 

Some people choose to go through this whole path by paying/getting sponsored to join a boot camp. That's also an option, and for some people it's the right one. I guess it's upto you to decide what you'd prefer to do. GeneralAssembly is one such boot camp. There's others too. 

Good luck!

Calm looks like I'm nearly there then, thanks for this!