Kuyt-I'm ready to join the elite

The Infamous

Dirk Kuyt determined to fill Robbie Fowlerâs bootsAug 8 2007 by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool EchoDIRK KUYT today spoke of his burning desire to fill the boots of Robbie Fowler and establish himself as one of Liverpoolâs most prolific marksmen.Many feel the summer departure of Fowler has left Rafa Benitez short of a natural predator in his squad.But when Benitez was asked if record signing Fernando Torres was the mythical â20 goal a season strikerâ heâd been looking for, the Liverpool boss insisted the club already possesses one in Kuyt.Since arriving on Merseyside a year ago, Kuyt has often played a deeper role to the one which led Liverpool to spend so heavily on his services.Benitezâs recent observation is a sure sign the Dutchman will now be afforded the freedom to play higher up the park, and plunder goals with the same prolific zeal he did at Feyenoord.Now the striker is relishing extra responsibility to improve Liverpoolâs goal return.âIâm sure I will get better this season,â said the Dutchman.âLast year I didnât have a full pre-season or know the rest of the lads or the club so well. Now Iâm more settled and any difficulties when starting at a new club are behind me. I can focus 100 per cent on my football and I have a good feeling about this season.âPlayers like Robbie and Michael Owen are known as some of the best strikers Liverpool has ever had and itâs good for me to be able to have the chance to join those names. I want to be seen as a Liverpool goalscorer, and now I canât wait to show it.âI scored a lot of goals in Holland, but England is totally different because itâs so much more difficult. I believe I can do here what I did in Holland, but I also think I can do more for the team than just score goals. Itâs important for me to do whatever job is asked, working hard or making assists.âLast season was different for me, getting used to different partners in attack and also playing against better defenders. The Premiership has some of the best defenders in the world and you need to get used to that, but Iâm looking forward to this season even more than last.âAndriy and Fernando are different strikers to Robbie Fowler and Bellamy, so I may play in a different role. Fernando likes to come deeper for the ball, so if I play alongside him thereâs the chance for me to play higher up the park, which I enjoy.âThatâs more how I was used to playing with Feyenoord. It all depends who I play alongside, of course, but whatâs most important is to play, win the games and help as many players as possible to score goals.âKuytâs goalscoring luck deserted him in the friendlies. That was summed up when a valid goal was chalked off against his former club last weekend.âI thought it was a great goal, but then I looked to the side and saw the referee and linesman didnât have a good view,â he said.âIt was disappointing it didnât count, but itâs better for that to happen now than in a few weeks time.âI didnât have a lot of luck in pre-season. I feel really sharp and think Iâve been playing well and getting into good positions, but at times Iâve been unfortunate.âIn the game against Portsmouth in Hong Kong I came up against David James making a lot of good saves. Maybe Iâm keeping the goals for the real competition. Iâm sure the goals will come.âPre-season is important, but itâs all about the game against Aston Villa, so Iâd rather score and win that match than score in the practice games.â-----------------------------------------------Dirk could've bagged 20 goals this season if he only had better luck. He got 14. - Hit the bar against Reading in the Carling Cup- Hit the bar against Barca at the Nou Camp- Hit the bar against Chelsea in the semi- Hit the post against someone, remember he tried to place it in the corner, but it hit the post and went wide- Wrongly disallowed goal IMO for offside against Chelsea in the semi- Hit the bar against Chelsea at Stamford BridgeThat makes 20. off the top of my head

Dirk could've bagged 20 goals this season if he only had better luck. He got 14. - Hit the bar against Reading in the Carling Cup- Hit the bar against Barca at the Nou Camp- Hit the bar against Chelsea in the semi- Hit the post against someone, remember he tried to place it in the corner, but it hit the post and went wide- Wrongly disallowed goal IMO for offside against Chelsea in the semi- Hit the bar against Chelsea at Stamford BridgeThat makes 20. off the top of my head
SMHSo with that sort of thinking.Defoe coulda got 23.Berbatov coulda got 21.Keane coulda got 29.lolThat comment is so wrong is so many ways.

Dirk could've bagged 20 goals this season if he only had better luck. He got 14. - Hit the bar against Reading in the Carling Cup- Hit the bar against Barca at the Nou Camp- Hit the bar against Chelsea in the semi- Hit the post against someone, remember he tried to place it in the corner, but it hit the post and went wide- Wrongly disallowed goal IMO for offside against Chelsea in the semi- Hit the bar against Chelsea at Stamford BridgeThat makes 20. off the top of my head
SMHSo with that sort of thinking.Defoe coulda got 23.Berbatov coulda got 21.Keane coulda got 29.lolThat comment is so wrong is so many ways.
Rooney & Ronaldo could of got 78

biggrin.gif:D:D:D:D

biggrin.gif:D:D:D:D

Houllier-'If a striker hits the post and the bar it shows that he is ahead of the defenders and is getting into good positions and another day they will go in'Also Kuyt was played out of position all last season play as a AM when at Feyenoord he was an out and out strikerFor Villa game(hopefully):------------------Reina---------------Finnan--Carragher-Agger--Riise----------Alonso---Mascherano-----Gerrard-------------------------Kewell---------------------Torres-------------------------Kuyt------------------They would get raped