Beatmakers need NOT apply

Top Boy

Explain the difference between producer and beat maker..I wanna see what bullsh*t definition people are coming up with these days..
translation: Im a beatmaker but i wanna be a producer really bad

simon cowell is a producerjohn from tottenham who sits in the studio and makes tunes for simon is a beatmaker/composersimpleu dnt need to be a composer to be a producer but im sure what illa means is he wants some1 more into making songs and the who is well versed in the creative process maybe...i dunno jus takin a shot K-dot.1

Guest King Ronnie Coleman
Im working on a mini-project in between my debut album and Im looking for Producers (NOT beat makers) to help contribute to it holla via myspace and show me what you gotBut yeah holla back if your sound is different Im more likely to favour itmyspace.com/illamardi
Hey,i make beats by randomly banging kitchen appliances together & sound recording myself doing a sh*t. Ppls say I sound like outkast but better.Holla by PM if ur interested.

Explain the difference between producer and beat maker..I wanna see what bullsh*t definition people are coming up with these days..
translation: Im a beatmaker but i wanna be a producer really bad
translation: "I don't actually know the answer but i've tried to be funny and flopped"

really though, it's like how people are saying "im not an MC im an artist" like they know the differenceto get it straight what the term's should mean isbeat maker - composerproducer - someone who brings all the elements together i.e. bringing the composer, the musicians, the studio engineers together; and orchestrates the happenings of the production until the product is formed, doesn't actually need to make the beat

Thats the thing though... Most producers in urban music (i'll use that since this is an urban forum) just make the beats, there's rarely live musicians so theres no orchestration to happen.. Even man like timbo will say sometimes he just makes the beat and then leaves the room so the artist can do what they like....

Yeah truth be told, you can't tell a person who makes beats that they are not a producer, you can't tell an MC "you're not an artist", producer does not necessarily mean beat maker, but there is no point in arguing over the names of jobs (you don't hear singers saying "im an artist, not a singer"), it's the outcome that is important, I personally consider myself a producer but I won't disregard the title "beat maker" because it is what I do, people need to worry more about their product than the minor details that make no difference in the end.

Thats the thing though... Most producers in urban music (i'll use that since this is an urban forum) just make the beats, there's rarely live musicians so theres no orchestration to happen.. Even man like timbo will say sometimes he just makes the beat and then leaves the room so the artist can do what they like....
this isnt true,.... its probably half and half. and alot more RnB producers are also trained musicians i.e. play instruments to a high level, be it drums, guitar, brass or normally keys. many of the HH producers who also make the beats are good at some instruments also.real british 'urban' producers i.e. those who have an MCPS account and receive money via royalties through prs are also conversant with playing instruments and they use this in producing their song. the difference i see here is that i can rarely call many UK producers of urban music producers. for the active ones in the industry with a track record..yes. but to claim most beatmakers in grime and HH producers.. i wont. they're beatmakers cos thats the basic aspect of the song creation, most havent done anything else..apart from recording vocals. but allow calling swizzbeats a beatmaker

I weren't even talking about them personally playing the instruments, I was talking about them having live musicians and 'orchestrating'/arrangin/coaching themwhatever we're talking about.. If they're more often playing the instruments themselves then that further proves my point...Maybe there was some confusion since i said 'make the beats', i aint just talking about the drum track on fruityloops... I'm talking about writing/sequencing/playing the instrumental..RnB and different styles are another ting coz yea you might get sessions musicians and you might have to arrange the musicans/vocals.. But lets be serious, in hip-hop/grime, what can you really do "Yea blud say that one word louder" "yea man adlib that part".. It's hardly difficult or remotely involvedOh yea and MCPS is for songwriters not producers.. And i'm not jus talkin bout writing the lyrics.

Yeah truth be told, you can't tell a person who makes beats that they are not a producer, you can't tell an MC "you're not an artist", producer does not necessarily mean beat maker, but there is no point in arguing over the names of jobs (you don't hear singers saying "im an artist, not a singer"), it's the outcome that is important, I personally consider myself a producer but I won't disregard the title "beat maker" because it is what I do, people need to worry more about their product than the minor details that make no difference in the end.
exactly.a lot of wat people are saying in this thread is how u wud distinguish a producer from an executive producer anyways