Gilberto Appointed New Arsenal Captain

Dizzle

Brazil midfielder Gilberto Silva has been officially appointed as the new Arsenal captain. The 30-year-old succeeds the departed Thierry Henry in the role and was vice captain last season, with him often leading the team as Henry spent much of the campaign on the sidelines through injury. Experienced defenders William Gallas and Ivory Coast's Kolo Toure have been handed the joint role of vice-captain. Gallas will lead the side out for Sunday's Premier League opener against Fulham with Silva being absent from the team due to his involvement in the Copa America. Gilberto, who has been linked with Juventus, has spent five years with The Gunners after joining from Atletico Mineiro.

the right choice imo filled the role last season with examples of leadership by goin forward gettin more goals but at the same time still doin his normal role and also steppin forward for big spot kicks last seasonplus he captined brazil to the copa so its nothing new to him

Ali I really don't know what your seeing when you watch Arsenal. Our first choice midfield never get badded up by anyone & a big part of that is down to Gilberto, he has a passing accuracy over 80% & scores goals aswell as fulfilling his normal DM duties. What else do you want?I was coming around to the idea of Gallas being captain tho, he don't take sh*t from nobody just like Vieira & is clearly passionate about winning. Talks to much but apparentley this is common in france & it's normal for players to be brutally honest when talking to the press.

Ali I really don't know what your seeing when you watch Arsenal. Our first choice midfield never get badded up by anyone & a big part of that is down to Gilberto, he has a passing accuracy over 80% & scores goals aswell as fulfilling his normal DM duties. What else do you want?I was coming around to the idea of Gallas being captain tho, he don't take sh*t from nobody just like Vieira & is clearly passionate about winning. Talks to much but apparentley this is common in france & it's normal for players to be brutally honest when talking to the press.
Maybe I am jumping the gun a bit and Diaby is not on the level Gilberto is at right now but do you see that being the case at the end of this season? cause I dont.Giving Gilberto the captaincy cements his place in the first team and thats not right considering soon Diaby and maybe Denilson will be better candidates for his role.His passing accuracy is decent but it consists alot of just a straight forward pass back to the defense or to Fabregas. Not trying to knock that stat but thats the truth. And how our defensive midfielder had less attempted tackles and a lower success rate compared to Fabregas is beyond me.

gilbertos out Arsene Wenger has revealed that Gilberto Silva is unlikely to appear for Arsenal until September.The Brazilian, passed over for the vacant role of captain in favour of William Gallas, was given an extended break after guiding his country to the final of the Copa America and has only just returned to North London."Gilberto is not ready," Wenger confirmed. "We have a three-week plan to build him up again. He did not play the last game of the Copa America and had three and a half weeks off. It will take two or three weeks to get him ready. If you don't do that he will suffer during rest of the season."Besides the absent Gilberto, Emmanuel Adebayor is the only member of Arsenal's first-team squad ruled out of Sunday's match with Reading. The striker is still recovering from a thigh strain.Meanwhile, Gunners chairman Peter Hill-Wood has reiterated his confidence that Wenger will soon sign a contract extension."Arsène Wenger is the man behind that style and, at the moment, his new contract is often being talked about. But I don't see any problems with the situation and I think it will be agreed in the not too distant future," he told the club's official website."I'm sure he's happy here and he's building a great team which is exciting for everyone. It's a young team but actually now an experienced young team who've played a couple of seasons for us and I think they will give a very good account of themselves this term."

gilbertos out Arsene Wenger has revealed that Gilberto Silva is unlikely to appear for Arsenal until September.The Brazilian, passed over for the vacant role of captain in favour of William Gallas, was given an extended break after guiding his country to the final of the Copa America and has only just returned to North London."Gilberto is not ready," Wenger confirmed. "We have a three-week plan to build him up again. He did not play the last game of the Copa America and had three and a half weeks off. It will take two or three weeks to get him ready. If you don't do that he will suffer during rest of the season."Besides the absent Gilberto, Emmanuel Adebayor is the only member of Arsenal's first-team squad ruled out of Sunday's match with Reading. The striker is still recovering from a thigh strain.Meanwhile, Gunners chairman Peter Hill-Wood has reiterated his confidence that Wenger will soon sign a contract extension."Arsène Wenger is the man behind that style and, at the moment, his new contract is often being talked about. But I don't see any problems with the situation and I think it will be agreed in the not too distant future," he told the club's official website."I'm sure he's happy here and he's building a great team which is exciting for everyone. It's a young team but actually now an experienced young team who've played a couple of seasons for us and I think they will give a very good account of themselves this term."
Aren't we playing Fulham tomorrow?