Sign in to follow this  
L

Why does it take so long to extract a rar file?

This has always bugging me, extracting multi part par files always takes long to extract on both my computers, yet in task manager, no more than 21% of my cpu is being used.. What the f*ck is that about

Yea but my cpu is only using 21%.. If it just max's out it will get done in 5 times the time

Kinda wondered this too. A 350MB episode of Lost/Prison Break takes 3-5 minutes to unRAR but if you didn't know this already you can play the video before it even finishes.

To L: Not true. Just cos it uses 21% doesn't mean it can use any more and thus if it did use any more it would be any faster. It simply means that it only requires 21% to decompress at the fastest rate it possibly can.

Kinda wondered this too. A 350MB episode of Lost/Prison Break takes 3-5 minutes to unRAR but if you didn't know this already you can play the video before it even finishes.
3-5 minutes? Rahtid, your pc must be SLOW.Anyway, you can play a video without even decompressing the rar files at all.

3-5 minutes? Rahtid, your pc must be SLOW.Anyway, you can play a video without even decompressing the rar files at all.
Yeah but if you play it without decompressing it, the computer still decompresses it, it just doesn't extract it to your hard drive.I've got the oldest and slowest PC on here. Everyone knows that.

Yeah but if you play it without decompressing it, the computer still decompresses it, it just doesn't extract it to your hard drive.I've got the oldest and slowest PC on here. Everyone knows that.
Yeah I meant extract.What spec is your pc?

To L: Not true. Just cos it uses 21% doesn't mean it can use any more and thus if it did use any more it would be any faster. It simply means that it only requires 21% to decompress at the fastest rate it possibly can.
So are you trying to tell me that even i had some dual processor quad core bad man computer it would extract at the same speed, just using less % of the cpu?

theres a max speed in which it can uncompresses itself, which is the same as 21 percent of ur cpui have dual core 5ghz and sata drives biggrin.gif and it still takeas a couple mins to unrar a couple gig

750MHZ processor64MB RAM8MB Nvidia GFX card20GB Hard Drive biggrin.gif

yeh rightnvidia was never around in the 8meg era

Good Lord.To O.Man, you have 5Ghz?? You sure about that? I wasn't aware there was a 5Ghz Dual Core processor. Unless you've overclocked an Intel Extreme chip...

http://uk.shopping.com/xPF-Compaq-NVIDIA-Vanta-LT-20166095

Good Lord.To O.Man, you have 5Ghz?? You sure about that? I wasn't aware there was a 5Ghz Dual Core processor. Unless you've overclocked an Intel Extreme chip...
Probably put times his 2.4 dual core processor by 2. :D

it takes my pc 3-4 mins to decompress a 4.8gb HD movie
HD Movie @ only 4.8gb?
Most HD films are ripped to fit on a normal DVD... It's mainly the 1080p rips that are bigger..and lol @ saying 5ghz and then printing a screenshot saying 2.6ghz

Probably put times his 2.4 dual core processor by 2. :D
LOL. That's what I was thinking.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NVIDIA-VANTA-LT-8MB-...VQQcmdZViewItem
lol, my bad