Wenger - I loaned Djourou so he could play

TF/S4DK

Arsène Wenger has defended his decision to let Johan Djourou go to Birmingham on loan.The 20-year-old centre back made 30 appearances for Arsenal last term and is widely considered to be one of the brightest talents at the Club. So it was a surprise when he was allowed to move to St Andrews until the New Year.Injuries to William Gallas and Philippe Senderos meant midfielder Gilberto had to fill in at the back against Manchester City on Saturday but despite this Wenger feels he has not made a mistake.âI knew when Djourou left that Alex Song can play in there and Gilberto has played in there already,â said Wenger. âI wanted him to be experienced. I know Kolo will go in January [to the African Nations Cup] and I want Johan to play.â

Its a good decision. Djourou gets Premiership experience at Birmingham, who are gonna come under pressure in most games. So it will be a good test for Djourou's defensive capabilties. But the fact that we have a mini defecne crisis, with Gallas Sagna Eboue Senderos out, even if its not long shows how we could miss him.

Its a good decision. Djourou gets Premiership experience at Birmingham, who are gonna come under pressure in most games. So it will be a good test for Djourou's defensive capabilties. But the fact that we have a mini defecne crisis, with Gallas Sagna Eboue Senderos out, even if its not long shows how we could miss him.
Hes going to be playing in midfield for Birmingham.Apparently he sees himself more as a DM than a CB

Djourou: “In my head I’m a midfielder”Johoan Djourou doesn’t hide it: his dream is the midfield. “Going to Birmingham allows me to play in the number 6 shirt.” Number six – the cat is out of the bag. The defender wants to evolve. “In my head I’m a midfielder,” he blasts. “I had to learn to be flexible. It’s in my interest as it opens other doors.” There is no doubt, the Swiss international is aiming in the medium term for a midfield berth in the red shirt and white cross of the national team. But with so many rising young wolves like Inler, Dzemaili or Gelson, the position is hotly-contested. “As in all good teams there is competition for places; that’s not new,” he recognises without losing his calm.
This is where the Birmingham option is important. During Saturdays game at Middlesbrough Djourou played in midfield. “Steve Bruce has always said he would play me there. It’s what influenced me to come here,” he makes clear. “I started playing in defence because they have injuries there, but it’s at number 6 that I will continue the season.